Wheels and Tires

Ordered 2 sets of tires. Which should I keep? Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S or Bridgestone Potenza RE980 AS+

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2022 1:54 pm
Jan 3, 2008
423 posts
61 upvotes
Victoria

Ordered 2 sets of tires. Which should I keep? Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S or Bridgestone Potenza RE980 AS+

Hi there!

I'm looking for input from some folks knowledgeable on tires. Back when Costco had their January 1 sale I ordered 2 sets of tires. I'm not sure which I want to keep. I ordered the following:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S -- $792.89

Bridgestone Potenza RE980 AS+ -- $900.40

I'm looking for tires that hold up well on wet Vancouver Island roads, ride quiet, and last a decent amount of time for the money. Snow isn't a huge concern, as we have a set of winter tires and our vehicle is AWD and I can often manage fine in basic all season tires in our Mini Countryman AWD if I get caught in some surprise snow without my winters on.

The tires I really wanted were the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires, as they were on a double discount on January 1, but they were out of stock. Bummer.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Which tires should I go with? Or should I keep an eye out for an upcoming sale or something?

Thanks in advance!
22 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Been rocking the Bridgestone Potenza RE980 AS+ for 3 years now, great tires all year long!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8488 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
For the money, I’d go with the Pirelli.

But ideally I’d wait for the Michelin CC2.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
dealsvic wrote: .........
The tires I really wanted were the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires, as they were on a double discount .......
Sorry, I don't understand the rationale here.

You shouldn't be deciding on tires based on which have the biggest discounted price at any particular instant.

As TireRack makes clear, tires are designed with specific vehicles in mind.
Not only does one size not fit all, but no one tire performs equally across the entire spectrum of passenger vehicles.
Just because Joe Blow raves about tire X on his car it doesn't follow that you will be equally enamoured if you get them for your car.

So, first you look at owner forums for your particular car to get an idea of what might work well.
Then you fold in your own personal preferences (local road infrastructure, driving habits, climate, noise, directional or not, asymmetric or not, sidewall rubbing strip, heck, even how good they look).
Settle on your best choice and then start looking for the best price.
Pricing can get complicated when periodic mail-in rebates (MIR) are active combined with a reduced discount. To be compared to when no MIR available but higher discount.

Can't think of 3 more different tires than the referenced Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin.
If the P7 suited my vehicle I would probably go for that one, but that doesn't mean much.
Cheapo-Findo's opinion or experience above is just as valid.
(Michelin CC2 might get very good reviews but it is a low rolling resistance (LRR) tire that may have some trade-offs in other attributes.)

Returning tires to Costco sounds like an inconvenience I would avoid. But we are all different I guess.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14178 upvotes
Toronto
dealsvic wrote: Hi there!

I'm looking for input from some folks knowledgeable on tires. Back when Costco had their January 1 sale I ordered 2 sets of tires. I'm not sure which I want to keep. I ordered the following:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S -- $792.89

Bridgestone Potenza RE980 AS+ -- $900.40

I'm looking for tires that hold up well on wet Vancouver Island roads, ride quiet, and last a decent amount of time for the money. Snow isn't a huge concern, as we have a set of winter tires and our vehicle is AWD and I can often manage fine in basic all season tires in our Mini Countryman AWD if I get caught in some surprise snow without my winters on.

The tires I really wanted were the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires, as they were on a double discount on January 1, but they were out of stock. Bummer.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Which tires should I go with? Or should I keep an eye out for an upcoming sale or something?

Thanks in advance!
and you didn't ask this question BEFORE ordering 2 sets of tires because..........
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
If you have Winters, I'd definitely stick with the Pirelli's
Jan 3, 2008
423 posts
61 upvotes
Victoria
macnut wrote: Sorry, I don't understand the rationale here.

You shouldn't be deciding on tires based on which have the biggest discounted price at any particular instant.

As TireRack makes clear, tires are designed with specific vehicles in mind.
Not only does one size not fit all, but no one tire performs equally across the entire spectrum of passenger vehicles.
Just because Joe Blow raves about tire X on his car it doesn't follow that you will be equally enamoured if you get them for your car.

So, first you look at owner forums for your particular car to get an idea of what might work well.
Then you fold in your own personal preferences (local road infrastructure, driving habits, climate, noise, directional or not, asymmetric or not, sidewall rubbing strip, heck, even how good they look).
Settle on your best choice and then start looking for the best price.
Pricing can get complicated when periodic mail-in rebates (MIR) are active combined with a reduced discount. To be compared to when no MIR available but higher discount.

Can't think of 3 more different tires than the referenced Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin.
If the P7 suited my vehicle I would probably go for that one, but that doesn't mean much.
Cheapo-Findo's opinion or experience above is just as valid.
(Michelin CC2 might get very good reviews but it is a low rolling resistance (LRR) tire that may have some trade-offs in other attributes.)

Returning tires to Costco sounds like an inconvenience I would avoid. But we are all different I guess.
Hey, thanks for the reply. A bit of a condescending vibe here, but maybe that wasn't intentional.

Input about tires for our vehicle (as I mentioned, the Mini Countryman AWD) is exactly what I'm looking for here. I mentioned I had ordered some already to capitalize on the one day sale. I'm not sure if you're familiar with shopping at Costco for tires or not, but I don't need to accept the order. I can cancel it at any time. And I'm not "returning" the tires. They're not in my possession. They are simply reserved for me at the tire center.

And the Cross Climate 2 tires were the ones I was hoping to get because of recommendations I had received to date. But they were at the time, and continue to be out of stock. I'm hoping to buy from Costco, because of their level of service/warranty/ease to deal with/etc. Also, kinda stating the obvious, but money isn't unlimited.

In summary, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck option for wet roads, without much concern about snow, for a Mini Countryman AWD. I listed 2 potential options I submitted orders for after early research on my own. Both of which were pretty sizably discounted. Do you think either of the above would be good options? Or should I keep an eye out for something else? And if you don't know, that's totally cool too. Peace brother.
Jan 3, 2008
423 posts
61 upvotes
Victoria
Swerny wrote: and you didn't ask this question BEFORE ordering 2 sets of tires because..........
Yeah it was a 1 day sale. I was busy and wanted to pull the trigger on what seemed like a couple potential candidates before the sale ended. I'm now getting notifications that the tires are available, and wondering which ones to go ahead and take (if any).
Jan 3, 2008
423 posts
61 upvotes
Victoria
Viperoni wrote: If you have Winters, I'd definitely stick with the Pirelli's
Thanks! This seems to be where I'm leaning for sure.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
dealsvic wrote: In summary, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck option for wet roads, without much concern about snow, for a Mini Countryman AWD. I listed 2 potential options I submitted orders for after early research on my own. Both of which were pretty sizably discounted. Do you think either of the above would be good options? Or should I keep an eye out for something else? And if you don't know, that's totally cool too. Peace brother.
Unfortunately neither of those two tires are the first option for wet weather performance. Michelin Pilot Sport 4AS and Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus are the best option all season tires for wet weather performance. Like the above poster said in regards to tires buy what suits your driving environment not what's on sale.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kev604 wrote: Unfortunately neither of those two tires are the first option for wet weather performance. Michelin Pilot Sport 4AS and Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus are the best option all season tires for wet weather performance. Like the above poster said in regards to tires buy what suits your driving environment not what's on sale.
This. Neither are good tires, especially the Pirelli. What car do you have?
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Jan 3, 2008
423 posts
61 upvotes
Victoria
kev604 wrote: Unfortunately neither of those two tires are the first option for wet weather performance. Michelin Pilot Sport 4AS and Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus are the best option all season tires for wet weather performance. Like the above poster said in regards to tires buy what suits your driving environment not what's on sale.
Cool, that's exactly the kind of input I'm after. I'll keep an eye on prices for those. I'm not in dire need of replacing my current set so I'll watch and see what happens price wise. Are the Michelin Pilot Sports better in your opinion than Michelin's CrossClimate tires I mentioned at the top? They were the ones I was initially referred to.
Jan 3, 2008
423 posts
61 upvotes
Victoria
geokilla wrote: This. Neither are good tires, especially the Pirelli. What car do you have?
Interesting, I've had several people vouch for the Pirellis. What makes them not good?

I have a Mini Countryman AWD.
Nov 16, 2015
27 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If you got the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus 2 then they’re ranked pretty high on TireRack for Touring All season tires (second) and have a decent amount of good reviews.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
dealsvic wrote: Interesting, I've had several people vouch for the Pirellis. What makes them not good?

I have a Mini Countryman AWD.
For one, it's a very old tire and at $800 (including tax?), there's better tires available. Since you have dedicated winter tires for winter and live in Vancouver, I'd lean on an all season. You really don't need the Michelin CrossClimate 2 unless you're planning to use them year round. I don't know your tire size but if it is 225/55R17, Costco has the Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS+ for $856 installed + tax right now. Otherwise, I second the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus. The Continental is rated near the top of its class and one of the best tires all around. Much better than the Pirelli and Bridgestone. Though nothing beats the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
geokilla wrote: This. Neither are good tires, especially the Pirelli. What car do you have?
Well that's at bit harsh haha. P7 are decent all around tires nothing special meh wet/dry performance if your happy with meh. 980AS are good performing AS average on wet though but can't touch PS 4AS and DWS06 Plus for wet and overall performance. Both would still be miles ahead of the Motomaster garbage.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
dealsvic wrote: Cool, that's exactly the kind of input I'm after. I'll keep an eye on prices for those. I'm not in dire need of replacing my current set so I'll watch and see what happens price wise. Are the Michelin Pilot Sports better in your opinion than Michelin's CrossClimate tires I mentioned at the top? They were the ones I was initially referred to.
CC2 will probably be slightly better on light snow than PS 4AS but other than that wet/dry performance and braking PS 4AS will blow away the CC2.

I personally run DWS06 Plus. Chose that tire over the PS 4AS primarily for wet road performance. Tire has been exceptional in rain best wet weather tire I've run and have lots of seat time driving in rain in the last couple of months here in GVRD.
Jan 3, 2008
423 posts
61 upvotes
Victoria
kev604 wrote: CC2 will probably be slightly better on light snow than PS 4AS but other than that wet/dry performance and braking PS 4AS will blow away the CC2.

I personally run DWS06 Plus. Chose that tire over the PS 4AS primarily for wet road performance. Tire has been exceptional in rain best wet weather tire I've run and have lots of seat time driving in rain in the last couple of months here in GVRD.
Thanks a bunch! Fantastic feedback. I'll keep an eye on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus tires!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
yeah, the Contis are the best choice.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)