Shopping Discussion

Ordered ******** $275 Got hit with $32 Duties!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2016 7:36 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Ordered ******** $275 Got hit with $32 Duties!

The last time I ordered something from them for $10 I got nothing. Ordered a couple of dash cams and BAM, DHL says I have to pay duties.
31 replies
Jan 9, 2011
343 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I hate it when that happens....

Good one!
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
isn't it under $25 no duty and over $25 they apply duties ?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6685 posts
2918 upvotes
Montreal
[QUOTE]Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item. If the item is worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item’s full value.[/QUOTE]

:cool:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26821 posts
24296 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Supercooled wrote: The last time I ordered something from them for $10 I got nothing.
And after that experience you rolled the dice again only this time for $275? :-0
thesk8man wrote: isn't it under $25 no duty and over $25 they apply duties ?
The threshold is CA$20. Anything over that and the import broker has the legal duty to apply duty and HST legally.

Canada Post often looks the other way unless the item has a high declared value or comes in a large box or otherwise looks like it may attract enough revenue to be worth the effort. They can get away with it because they're a crown corporation and the primary processor for incoming packages from foreign countries.

But DHL is a private company. They make money in part by charging brokerage fees. They could lose their authorization to be a broker if they're found to be violating the rules. So they have every incentive to check every package and process it to the letter of the law (plus brokerage fees, of course.) In any case the duty and taxes works out to about 12%. If that's enough to make you regret buying from a Chinese seller then the "deal" couldn't have been so great in the first place.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
Over 10,000+ RFD posts, and OP still doesn't know how things work.
Jul 20, 2008
18 posts
12 upvotes
Kincardine
So you thought there wouldn't be duties on something that is almost $300 just because you didn't get duties on a $10 item. Very intelligent.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1560 posts
819 upvotes
thats not too bad. $275 * 0.13 (tax) = $35.75. Coming away with only $32 is pretty good. UPS/fedex would have added charges, and interest and other stuff on top of that.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4240 posts
286 upvotes
Tahsis
Pretty clearly is no duty, just tax.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
11658 posts
2285 upvotes
Guelph
DHL is always duties. You might get away if its way undervalued but generally, DHL = DUTIES
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting.
Jun 10, 2015
703 posts
323 upvotes
DHL charged me around $28 in duties for my $150 prom dress that one time.....
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26821 posts
24296 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
vanlinda wrote: DHL charged me around $28 in duties for my $150 prom dress that one time.....
Where was the dress made? Was the $28 just for duty or did it include HST plus DHL's brokerage fees.

See: CBSA Duty and Taxes Estimator
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6870 posts
2669 upvotes
BC
Supercooled wrote: ..... DHL says I have to pay duties.
DHL actually says that they have paid HST to the govt. on your behalf and now want you to refund them. Probably no duty on computer or electronics items - but there would have been on clothing.

For future reference, it's all there in black and white on ********'s website, roughly translated from Mandarin:

If there is some problem receiving the delivery due to Customs
Usually, when you import goods from ********, the packet will be inspected by your local Customs office.
There's usually no reason to worry because:
******** provides all the necessary paperwork for your shipment;
In most countries it's pretty easy to import most kinds of consumer electronics;
The actual process of customs clearance is usually handled completely by the delivery company (e.g. UPS, FedEx, DHL);
If there is any duty (import tax) or other charges to pay, the courier will usually pay it first and deliver the products to you, and you pay the costs later. Click here for more information about import taxes.
If there is a question about your delivery:
Sometimes you may need to provide information to your local Customs office about the shipment you are receiving. Sometimes they will need you to provide an invoice matching the invoice that accompanies the goods.
In these cases please contact us immediately and we will provide you with a PDF of the shipping invoice.
Sometimes the products need to be backed up with some kind of licence or certificate. In these cases, we are generally notified by the courier and we will handle it for you.
If Customs contacts you about this, please let us know first and we will help you.
Customs Liability
If, for any reason, the products cannot be delivered to you due to a Customs problem, we will discuss with you case by case about how best to handle the issue(s).
If goods are seized or turned back because of an issue that was ********'s fault, e.g. incorrect paperwork, we will re-send the goods at our own expense, or offer you full store credit for a new order.
If goods cannot be delivered due to restrictions in your own country, this is solely your responsibility.
For example, if you decided to try to import an Android phone, but this technology is illegal or restricted due to local laws in the delivery destination country, that is your responsibility to know about before you order from ********.
If the delivery failed for that reason, we cannot offer any compensation, because as the importer it's your job to know about the local regulations.
Another situation in which you must accept liability is where your country requires you to have a licence to import commercial goods:
in this case, it is your responsibility to know about this before you place an order on ********, and in the case of a failed delivery, we cannot offer any compensation.
As the importer you hold sole legal responsibility for responding to questions about imported goods delivered to yourself. Import duties, sales tax, and any other customs charges and fees, are your sole responsibility, as described in our terms and conditions.
If a delivery fails because you do not respond in time to Customs communications, or you refuse to pay the applicable charges, we cannot offer any compensation.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3537 upvotes
Burnaby
LOL. Nobody has been dinged at all. If you import something into Canada, you should expect to be charged for taxes (Federal/Provincial), duties (actual duty fee) and brokerage (paperwork fee charged by courier). It's the opposite what should be the exception to the rules. These chinese drop shipping etailers are just cheating the Canadian Customs system. I just wish the CBSA cracked down on these illegal declaration imports with fines and all. It's just a bait from dishonest etailers to promote sales of plain junk items or gray market items.
Default Ordered ******** $275 Got hit with $32 Duties!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14366 posts
3608 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
One time I went to the store, bought something for $10, and was charged 12% tax.
Another time, I spent about $300, and got hit with $36 tax.
I feel you.

;)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: how many dash cams did you order?
2 A118s, 1 SJCam 4000 and some other accessories.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2171 posts
964 upvotes
London
You used DHL, all those fees are inevitable when you use them
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
If OP posted a pic of the bill, we could decidedly know what the breakdown is on the charges. But I have a feeling the main purpose of this thread was to wahhhhhh.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26821 posts
24296 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Becks wrote: But I have a feeling the main purpose of this thread was to wahhhhhh.
Exactly. The OP hasn't asked any questions. He just pointed out that he had to pay what appears to be HST on his purchase, something that shouldn't have surprised him or required a thread about in the first place.
veni, vidi, Visa