Shopping Discussion

Ordered ******** $275 Got hit with $32 Duties!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2016 7:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
Is it because op has goods worth more than 200? Or are these more of a hit or miss scenarios ?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4248 posts
297 upvotes
GVA
imflying12 wrote: Is it because op has goods worth more than 200? Or are these more of a hit or miss scenarios ?
If you have more than 20 bucks, tax and duty is payable. In reality because of volume and the cost to collect the threshold does vary upwards from there.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
DHL set fee is $15 unless you clear it yourself.

So you must have paid $15 + tax, cause its a service + your duty and HST, so it sounds about right
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Becks wrote: Over 10,000+ RFD posts, and OP still doesn't know how things work.
^This.
Oct 26, 2010
918 posts
1312 upvotes
If you bought the same item in Canada it'd have costed you $35.75 for tax (in Ontario where there's 13% tax)
So it's not like you "lost" money on your purchase, think of it as you were suppose to pay the tax to make yourself feel better.

Last time I got hit with $40 duty for a GIFT that my friend sent me via DHL > :( , THAT, I was not pleased.
Dec 11, 2010
728 posts
698 upvotes
$32 is like nothing..I once brought some football jersey just over $200 cdn from England and DHL charged me $80 duty and tax..
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
On second thought...

After reading some reviews on ******** and finding it's often called Gearworst and for good reason...I'm actually now more surprised you got anything at all from them, lol.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
DHL always seems to get me on taxes. They're almost as bad as UPS and their brokerage scam.

I"ve ordered a few items from them in the past and received it via China Mail/Canada Post. I think next time I will separate orders to keep it small. I bet they packed it in a big box this time.
Apr 3, 2015
17 posts
6 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Sorry for bring back an old thread but I found on google when I got hit with stupid fees from DHL so I thought I search about it.
I ordered on ******** came to $51 and the tax DHL charged was just $2.50 but their fees is $17... Wow. How ridiculous.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
wasabi4ever wrote: Sorry for bring back an old thread but I found on google when I got hit with stupid fees from DHL so I thought I search about it.
I ordered on ******** came to $51 and the tax DHL charged was just $2.50 but their fees is $17... Wow. How ridiculous.
Next time don't have it shipped by DHL. But then you will complain it took forever to get it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wasabi4ever wrote: Sorry for bring back an old thread but I found on google when I got hit with stupid fees from DHL so I thought I search about it.
Not really, at least not with respect to DHL. They're just doing their [sh*tty] job. If you have a beef it's with your overlords in Ottawa who continue to cow-tow to Canadian retailers by maintaining the try ridiculous CA$20 duty/tax-free import exemption threshold.

Shippers/importers are required by law to collect duty/tax on incoming with a declared value over CA$20. (******** usually declares half of what you paid. But US$25 is still more than CA$20.) In collecting that $2.50 DHL performs a service. That service costs them as much to perform on a $50 item as on a $500 item so they charge a flat $17 fee. I agree it sucks that you have to pay $17 to collect $2.50 but that's the law.

What can you do?
1. Contact your MP and complain.
2. Sign the petition to raise the duty/tax free threshold. There's an RFD thread for that.
3. In future specify regular post. It takes longer, a month or more, for your stuff to arrive. But usually if it's declared as under CA$100 it passes through Canada Post without any extra charges. And even when they catch it they charge only $10 to do what DHL charged you $17.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 4, 2017
1 posts
Related to shipping from ********, I ordered a webcam for about. $30 CDN from them. It arrived in a Canada Post package addressed from Mississauga On. There was no packing slip, no documentation, nothing else in the package explaining the $11 I had to pay in order to pick up the package. I looked on line and found Canada Post charges a $9.95 fee plus HST for imported goods above $20. I was surprised because this has never happened to be before when I ordered from different suppliers.i am not sure if it had anything to do with shipping from a NA warehouse but I have decided I won't order from them again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)