Shopping Discussion

Ordered a Macbook from Apple, received an empty box from FedEx, what should I do...

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 2:38 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2019
8 posts
11 upvotes

Ordered a Macbook from Apple, received an empty box from FedEx, what should I do...

I ordered a Macbook from Apple Canada, delivered by FedEx, only to find out an empty Apple box, re-sealed with tape, and laptop was gone...
Back and forth with Apple and FedEx, without luck. Contacted credit card company (Amex), they mentioned no coverage in this scenario...
What should I do?
32 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1348 posts
394 upvotes
I think OP cannot do anything with FedEx as from my experience the shipper and fedex have a contract not OP & Fedex.
I would suggest to keep pestering Apple AND your credit card company. Remember each rep you talk to from both companies will have a different approach in trying to help you. Keep at it, in sure this was a $1000+ purchase.
Jan 19, 2006
494 posts
295 upvotes
BC
Would Apple be able to blacklist the S/N of this laptop and pursue whomever it lands with once it goes live online?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5310 posts
2193 upvotes
West Vancouver
Yes. We believe you.
Apr 1, 2004
410 posts
246 upvotes
Richmond, BC
could u call amex and demand a charge back? technically you didnt receive what u paid for
and it would be fraud on apple’s part to send u just a box for over $1000

also, file a police report and report it stolen, possibly by fedex employee?
assuming apple is a legit business and would not ship an open, resealed box

i remember a couple years when iphone x came out, it being stolen from shipping companies was big (like a whole shipment by ups was stolen)
i ordered mine at preorder, which was “lost” by ups
with some back and forth i got my money back coz it was missing and i never received it

it magically showed up a week later and was waiting for pick up at a ups depot (by the time i already got my refund)
i never picked it up, i was afraid it was actually stolen by someone inside ups and it would just be an empty box
and it would look like I was stealing from apple

after what happened, I will never order anything large amount and have it delivered (always pick up from store), esp apple products
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4376 posts
5193 upvotes
GTA
jojojoshua wrote: I ordered a Macbook from Apple Canada, delivered by FedEx, only to find out an empty Apple box, re-sealed with tape, and laptop was gone...
Back and forth with Apple and FedEx, without luck. Contacted credit card company (Amex), they mentioned no coverage in this scenario...
What should I do?
you didn't have to sign for a $1000+ package?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8679 posts
2599 upvotes
Mississauga
Did you not question why the box was so light when it was handed to you?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7229 posts
1838 upvotes
Toronto
fizz1234 wrote: I think OP cannot do anything with FedEx as from my experience the shipper and fedex have a contract not OP & Fedex.
I would suggest to keep pestering Apple AND your credit card company. Remember each rep you talk to from both companies will have a different approach in trying to help you. Keep at it, in sure this was a $1000+ purchase.
Basically, it is between Op's and Apple. His credit card company have nothing to do with it. Op's received a package but it is not what he/she expected. Apple on their part have to pressure FedEx and ask what happen.....
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4771 posts
4612 upvotes
Toronto
Kfox wrote: you didn't have to sign for a $1000+ package?
Apple does not require a signature

"In response to COVID-19, our delivery partners are offering no-contact delivery in your area. Drivers may ask for verbal confirmation of receipt from a safe distance to satisfy the signature requirement, or may leave lower-cost shipments at your door with no signature required. And, as always, delivery will be fast and free."

From https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/help/shipping_delivery

FedEx suspended Signature Required

"Temporarily suspended for most deliveries in Canada and the U.S.
A physical signature is not required for FedEx Express and FedEx Ground shipments except when an adult signature is required."

From https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/shipping-se ... tions.html
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35651 posts
21737 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kfox wrote: you didn't have to sign for a $1000+ package?
COVID times...
Even my firearm delivery was left at the front door.
Dec 22, 2007
785 posts
410 upvotes
Mississauga
jojojoshua wrote: I ordered a Macbook from Apple Canada, delivered by FedEx, only to find out an empty Apple box, re-sealed with tape, and laptop was gone...
What should I do?
start with apple escalate just be polite and firm
if that doesn't work go with amex ask them to file a charge back either something like item not received or not as described
May 28, 2012
11332 posts
3553 upvotes
Saskatoon
Raggie wrote: Did you not question why the box was so light when it was handed to you?
This was my thought too. I've never considered recording an unboxing but in this case, it would have been a good idea.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3517 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto
OP, were you home when the delivery was made and watching constantly? Could a porch pirate have taken your computer and left the box (but put tape on it). You never know these days.

I order on-line from one company only and they use Purolator and by the time I get the tracking number the package has already arrived. Purolator does not even knock but just leaves the box. I watch constantly for my package whenever I order. The sales person thought that signature required (and they do mark it as such) was still allowed during Covid. He himself found out the hard way.

Porch piracy and taking things from the mailbox is only going to get worse.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2604 posts
548 upvotes
Gonna call shenanigans on this, OP blew their CRB on a MacBook and is now committing fraud.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2380 posts
1481 upvotes
I ordered a case and earphones from Apple before and when I received it, the box was already open. So whoever delivered it, probably thought it was an iPhone and was going to steal it.

If I ever order from Apple again, I’m doing in-store pickup.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4584 upvotes
Alberta
vkizzle wrote: COVID times...
Even my firearm delivery was left at the front door.
x2. They left a G17 Gen 4 on my doorstep. That’s nuts.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11108 posts
13619 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote: x2. They left a G17 Gen 4 on my doorstep. That’s nuts.
Everyone does drop & dash delivery now. It's insane. I no longer order for home delivery because of it. I order everything for delivery to the PO with flexdelivery and go pick it up.

Funny thing is I ordered some SIM cards from Freedom Mobile, I was expecting them to just mail them out so I put my home address. But Freedom sent them by courier with signature required! They tried to deliver the envelope in the middle of a weekday. Of course nobody was home, so they are coming back next week on a weekday to try again, probably when we won't be home again. I called Freedom and they refuse to use regular mail and insist on signature. I mean duh. These are SIM cards, not a $1k Macbook.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7229 posts
1838 upvotes
Toronto
What should I do?
know the weight of a sealed macbook.
Check the weight from the Fedex parcel/box.

That way you will know, where did the mistake happen or who steal the macbook.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1055 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
cgtlky wrote: know the weight of a sealed macbook.
Check the weight from the Fedex parcel/box.

That way you will know, where did the mistake happen or who steal the macbook.
That's probably not going to work. The weight from the sealed parcel/box is written by the sender and AAPL knows what it's going to weigh. And that's *IF* Fedex verifies it (and that's a big *if*) it's at the beginning, not anywhere near the point of delivery).