Shopping Discussion

Ordered micro sd card from amazon fake or real?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2020 12:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2432 posts
1071 upvotes
Surrey

Ordered micro sd card from amazon fake or real?

Is there way to tell whether it is fake or real?
UPC has sticker another barcode
Adapter is taped instead of being part of package?
Images
  • 7ECC1F90-0C20-4F11-8163-7CB1B0C2CB96.jpeg
  • B2C6FFAC-9FC7-43F9-BADF-FE5F1F4C2EA1.jpeg
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33097 posts
18914 upvotes
Ottawa
Download an SD card checker app.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2036 posts
985 upvotes
London
was it sold directly by amazon or a 3rd party.

if u want to test it. first use crystal disk mark and see if it reads and writes at close to the rates speeds then download H2Testw to test that it is the real capacity it will fill the card up then try to read it back and see if it fails.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14848 posts
3699 upvotes
Markham
paaji wrote: Is there way to tell whether it is fake or real?
UPC has sticker another barcode
Adapter is taped instead of being part of package?
That is Amazon ASIN code (Amazon Standard Identification Number)
many product from Amazon have ASIN code taped over the barcode
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2432 posts
1071 upvotes
Surrey
aaron158 wrote: was it sold directly by amazon or a 3rd party.

if u want to test it. first use crystal disk mark and see if it reads and writes at close to the rates speeds then download H2Testw to test that it is the real capacity it will fill the card up then try to read it back and see if it fails.
Thank you, it was sold and shipped by amazon.ca I will try that
Nov 18, 2009
46 posts
16 upvotes
VANCOUVER
X00 asin is from a third party seller FBA. Amazon ASIN is B00.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27005 posts
12523 upvotes
paaji wrote: Thank you, it was sold and shipped by amazon.ca I will try that
The only problem is that Amazon sometimes comingles inventory.
So if someone else is selling the same SD card, they can send in fakes which get mixed into the "real" inventory since they're "identical".
Apr 7, 2007
150 posts
39 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: The only problem is that Amazon sometimes comingles inventory.
So if someone else is selling the same SD card, they can send in fakes which get mixed into the "real" inventory since they're "identical".
I didn't know that.

I also purchased a Sandisk Extreme 128GB microSD card a few weeks ago. The SD adapter was not taped on, but was part of the packaging. I threw away the packaging already so I cannot check the bar code.

So far my read and write speeds are close to the advertised speeds and I don't have any issues with the card.

My card was sold and shipped by Amazon themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7729 posts
3948 upvotes
Alberta
I’ve bought 2 128GB Sandisk Extreme cards sold and shipped by Amazon and both of them were fakes. Advertised write speed was 90MB/s and I would get 12 on one and 19 on the other. Sent both of them back for a refund. Will never buy another one from Amazon again, there’s way too much fake stuff sold on Amazon now and I quit ordering from them. Two I bought at London Drugs and Memory Express work as advertised and are good.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2036 posts
985 upvotes
London
WH-RFD wrote: I didn't know that.

I also purchased a Sandisk Extreme 128GB microSD card a few weeks ago. The SD adapter was not taped on, but was part of the packaging. I threw away the packaging already so I cannot check the bar code.

So far my read and write speeds are close to the advertised speeds and I don't have any issues with the card.

My card was sold and shipped by Amazon themselves.
did u also use H2Testw to test the capacity sometimes the cards will be smaller cards that have been reprogrammed to show up at a larger card.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5644 posts
5006 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: I’ve bought 2 128GB Sandisk Extreme cards sold and shipped by Amazon and both of them were fakes. Advertised write speed was 90MB/s and I would get 12 on one and 19 on the other. Sent both of them back for a refund. Will never buy another one from Amazon again, there’s way too much fake stuff sold on Amazon now and I quit ordering from them. Two I bought at London Drugs and Memory Express work as advertised and are good.
Never seen a fake sold by Amazon across hundreds of orders. You must have really bad luck or they were actually genuine / user error
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7729 posts
3948 upvotes
Alberta
KanataKG wrote: Never seen a fake sold by Amazon across hundreds of orders. You must have really bad luck or they were actually genuine / user error
Why would the ones from London Drugs and Memory Express be ok then?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27005 posts
12523 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Why would the ones from London Drugs and Memory Express be ok then?
There's no 3rd party giving London Drugs or Memory Express inventory. They source it directly.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19162 posts
3803 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
jackrabbit000 wrote: I’ve bought 2 128GB Sandisk Extreme cards sold and shipped by Amazon and both of them were fakes. Advertised write speed was 90MB/s and I would get 12 on one and 19 on the other. Sent both of them back for a refund. Will never buy another one from Amazon again, there’s way too much fake stuff sold on Amazon now and I quit ordering from them. Two I bought at London Drugs and Memory Express work as advertised and are good.
Good options. I find that Costco and B&H are now my best friends for sourcing genuine Sandisk products.
Never again for Amazon.
jackrabbit000 wrote: Why would the ones from London Drugs and Memory Express be ok then?
Places like London Drugs and Memory Express don't have "Marketplace Sellers".
Theoretically, I could buy a load of fake Sandisk products from China, and ship to Amazon's warehouse for FBA delivery. And when the next customer buys a products "Shipped from and sold by Amazon", they might actually receive co-mingled stock and could receive the fake one that I shipped into Amazon's warehouse. It should not happen this way, but co-minging does happen sometimes. TBH, I find that Amazon is really shooting their own reputation in the foot with the crap they allow on their website.

Fake products
Fake reviews
Fake "sold by Amazon"
Fake shipping estimates
Scammy Prime benefits

Sigh...
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14474 posts
2484 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Thats why when I buy SD cards from Amazon, I end up picking up the chinese upstarts like Netac. Good performance vs $ ratio and no is faking them yet.. LOL

Or buy from retailers that dont mix up their inventories