Automotive

Ordering Custom license plate when to contact insurance and MTO to update?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2015 10:13 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1790 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto

Ordering Custom license plate when to contact insurance and MTO to update?

Hello guys, So I am ordering the custom license plate; So, do I contact my insurance on the day I install it? When to contact MTO and how to get refund for the sticker price I just paid last month for the older license plate?

What is the whole procedure to getting the custom plate installed and what do I need to make sure before and after I install it?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2625 posts
682 upvotes
Ottawa
You don't contact insurance. Your car is insured by VIN, not plates.

Take your new plate and ownership to DOT and they will straighten you out.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1485 posts
500 upvotes
Brampton
As AtlsNBP mentioned, no need to inform insurance. You will receive the plates in mail and then you go to Service Ontario with your new plates, old plates and the current Registration. They will take away your plates and registration and put the new stickers with the same validity as your current plates on to the new ones. They will also issue you a new Registration with the new plate details. You can then put the new plates on your vehicle.

You may however need to inform your workplace if they have issued you a parking permit.
Mar 19, 2015
272 posts
267 upvotes
North York, ON
Working in the claims side of insurance, I can confirm this as well. Insurance companies know you can go it tomorrow and get new plates. That being said, it's a common question asked by your adjuster at the time of a claim, and a note is kept on file with regards to changes in plate status (rather, the frequency of changing plates).
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
AtlsNBP wrote: Take your new plate and ownership to DOT and they will straighten you out.
what do U mean DOT? This is Canada not the USA. We refer to the licence plate office as MTO, almost no body calls it the DOT.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2625 posts
682 upvotes
Ottawa
Stronzo1 wrote: what do U mean DOT? This is Canada not the USA. We refer to the licence plate office as MTO, almost no body calls it the DOT.
DOT is universally known as the the place where you go to get your licensing stuff straightened out.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
AtlsNBP wrote: DOT is universally known as the the place where you go to get your licensing stuff straightened out.
that may be true but most people never heard of the dot, if u tell them that, they will think of the furnature store Dot. MTO is the most widely used term, and service ontario comes in at a close second place.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2907 posts
594 upvotes
Ajax
It's incredible the lack of knowledge in this forum . But then again anyone that buys personalized plates is lacking a lot more than just knowledge.