• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 6:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 12, 2018
1 posts

Ordering lens to Canada

Hey

I'm new to Canada and I think but I'm not sure, if ordering a lens from United states is there any tax/customs fees?
Looking to score a nice lens during black friday sales
16 replies
Dec 1, 2016
162 posts
36 upvotes
mississauga
if you order from Bhphoto, i think you can have free ship for 99Us$+, of course you pay tax in canada 13%, not sure about custom/brokage fee.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11343 posts
4633 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Before you order that lens from the US, you should familiarize yourself with what will happen to the warranty in Canada. A few OEMs won't warranty the product if it was purchased from another country (heck, Nikon won't even repair it if you paid them to) so you have to see if it's worth the extra trouble if you ever need warranty work.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1120 posts
748 upvotes
Montreal
Ditto

Avoid buying from the USA because of warranty. You won't pay more here. BF deals are often mandated by manufacturers, deals will be similar in Canada.
Jun 13, 2009
413 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Yes there will likely be taxes payable. If you order with amazon, they will add the expected taxes/duties in the total cost so you won't have to worry about delays or paying anything when the item arrives in Canada. If amazon charges the extra for import duties and they are not collected/required by cbsa, they will refund the amount to you.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4898 posts
318 upvotes
Photographic equipment imported into Canada is Duty Free. But you may have to pay TAX and/or Brokerage fees. But sometimes you get lucky and pay nothing
Feb 16, 2014
645 posts
128 upvotes
London
craftsman wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 1:47 am
(heck, Nikon won't even repair it if you paid them to) so you have to see if it's worth the extra trouble if you ever need warranty work.
Totally wrong.I have checked with them by email and phone and they do provide repair service for Nikon products that have been purchased in States.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11343 posts
4633 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
esfandiyar2002 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 10:51 am
Totally wrong.I have checked with them by email and phone and they do provide repair service for Nikon products that have been purchased in States.
Totally WRONG yourself. You must not have explained things to Nikon or they might not have understood you. But check out Nikon Canada's webpage on Grey Market product - Grey Market Products.

Here's a few highlights in case you don't believe me -
What are Grey Market products?

Nikon products that are imported and sold by anyone other than Nikon Canada Inc. are considered Grey Market products. These usually are genuine Nikon products that were intended for other Nikon markets; therefore, they may not meet Nikon’s specifications for Canadian products and they may not perform as expected.
Nikon Canada Inc. and Nikon Authorized Dealers will not provide technical support, repair or warranty service on Grey Market products. If you suspect you may have purchased a Grey Market Nikon product, please contact the seller or importer for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads.
How can I be sure I’m buying an official Nikon Canada product?

Remember: the easiest way to recognize a grey market product is that the product does not include a Nikon Canada Inc. warranty. Look for, or ask for a Nikon Canada Inc. warranty whenever you buy a Nikon product.
Feb 16, 2014
645 posts
128 upvotes
London
craftsman wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 1:01 pm
Totally WRONG yourself. You must not have explained things to Nikon or they might not have understood you. But check out Nikon Canada's webpage on Grey Market product - Grey Market Products.
Seems you have had hard time with Nikon service.I said clearly and I explain in more details here:

1) Nikon Canada has no direct importing lens or camera bodies into Canada.They receive it from main source which is Nikon US.
2)Nikon US shares their imported camera bodies & lenses serial number with Nikon Canada.So,when Nikon Canada receives stuff to be repaired,they look at its serial number.
3)Grey market means serial numbers of lenses and bodies that are out of imported items.
4)When you have purchase a lens or camera body from legit source within States and you need repair service,you drop an email to Nikon Canada saying that you have purchased a lens from legit US source and you need repair service.They ask for your item serial number and if it is under their given list,you will receive a service,but you should pay for.I did it for my 70-200mm f/2.8E FL that was originally purchased in States from legit source when it was on rebate.No further question asked.

Am I understood enough?So,instead of tossing old statements,do me a favor and call Nikon or drop an email onto their support service.I don't know why it is so hard to flat earth believers to accept otherwise!
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11343 posts
4633 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
esfandiyar2002 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 10:32 am
Seems you have had hard time with Nikon service.I said clearly and I explain in more details here:

1) Nikon Canada has no direct importing lens or camera bodies into Canada.They receive it from main source which is Nikon US.
2)Nikon US shares their imported camera bodies & lenses serial number with Nikon Canada.So,when Nikon Canada receives stuff to be repaired,they look at its serial number.
3)Grey market means serial numbers of lenses and bodies that are out of imported items.
4)When you have purchase a lens or camera body from legit source within States and you need repair service,you drop an email to Nikon Canada saying that you have purchased a lens from legit US source and you need repair service.They ask for your item serial number and if it is under their given list,you will receive a service,but you should pay for.I did it for my 70-200mm f/2.8E FL that was originally purchased in States from legit source when it was on rebate.No further question asked.

Am I understood enough?So,instead of tossing old statements,do me a favor and call Nikon or drop an email onto their support service.I don't know why it is so hard to flat earth believers to accept otherwise!
I've actually had no problems with Nikon service. In fact, I've owned and used Nikon equipment for the past 25 years and am good friends with Nikon's Western Canada Sales Manager for over 30 years. I used to sell Nikon equipment for one of the largest photographic retailers in Western Canada.

Nikon Canada's website is very clear on what qualifies for support and what does not. I am NOT tossing out old statements as they are the current statements published by Nikon Canada on their website. I really don't understand how you can blame someone for quoting what is listed on the manufacturer's website as their policy.
Feb 16, 2014
645 posts
128 upvotes
London
craftsman wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 2:02 pm
I've actually had no problems with Nikon service. In fact, I've owned and used Nikon equipment for the past 25 years and am good friends with Nikon's Western Canada Sales Manager for over 30 years. I used to sell Nikon equipment for one of the largest photographic retailers in Western Canada.

Nikon Canada's website is very clear on what qualifies for support and what does not. I am NOT tossing out old statements as they are the current statements published by Nikon Canada on their website. I really don't understand how you can blame someone for quoting what is listed on the manufacturer's website as their policy.
Oh,I see this now! Another flat earth believer has come to prove that Copernicus was right!

Aside from kidding...Call and ask.Seems you have not read carefully what I have written.If you have purchased a lens from legit source in States,they DO provide lens service and support.Either their web page has not been updated yet,or this is another hidden policy and they don't want to publicly announce it.Your years of experiences with them,with all due respect, has noting to do with constant changes in Nikon policies.Simple as that.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11343 posts
4633 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
esfandiyar2002 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 5:43 pm
Oh,I see this now! Another flat earth believer has come to prove that Copernicus was right!

Aside from kidding...Call and ask.Seems you have not read carefully what I have written.If you have purchased a lens from legit source in States,they DO provide lens service and support.Either their web page has not been updated yet,or this is another hidden policy and they don't want to publicly announce it.Your years of experiences with them,with all due respect, has noting to do with constant changes in Nikon policies.Simple as that.
No flat Earth believer here... I'm a firm believer in published facts (ie what's clearly stated on their website) rather than hearsay and unsubstantiated statements like yours - ie provided no documented proof of the claim.

Nikon Canada does not import products from Nikon US's stock. The product that Nikon Canada sells generally (with a few exceptions for lower volume/high priced items) has a completely different range in serial numbers than the US product and has been well documented over the years. If Nikon Canada imports their equipment from the US stock, they would have the same serial number range or at least overlapping ones as the US which they don't. In addition, Nikon US prefixes most of their lens serial numbers with 'US XXXXXX' to clearly identify US products which you don't see on Canadian lenses. Here's an article from Thom Hogan (a noted Nikon user for decades) which talks about serial numbers that Nikon uses - http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camer ... mbers.html.
Feb 16, 2014
645 posts
128 upvotes
London
craftsman wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 6:44 pm
No flat Earth believer here... I'm a firm believer in published facts (ie what's clearly stated on their website) rather than hearsay and unsubstantiated statements like yours - ie provided no documented proof of the claim.
Be my guest and believe what you are firmly believing. Seems to me like someone believes in God and when asked for proof,comes with a holly book in hand!If someone else says otherwise,they will be accused of having no poof and telling hearsay!
(no offense to believers,though!)

Again I repeat for the very last time and you are more than welcome to stick to your honorable Thom Hogan or published old,but formal printings:

1)Nikon main headquarter is in States(in North America).They are the only source of importing Nikon equipment,like lenses and bodies.They are the only source of dictating price tags on their distributed products in North America.Nikon Canada is almost like their little sister.

2)Internal policies and business running procedures are like secrets that are not something that you can find on website and read officially!

3)If you can speak Japanese,do me a favor and call Nikon Japan headquarter and ask them patiently and politely how they run their business in North America.

4)My purchased legit lens from States has been received repair service in Nikon Canada,thankfully.How many times should I repeat it?That is a very good question and I have no real answer to that!

I am done on this conversation conniving people on small facts that is not my real job,so be happy with your believes and findings.So,do me a favor:please forget what I said! If it pleases you,consider them wrong and accept my apology.I am very happy with my findings.Simple as that.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1120 posts
748 upvotes
Montreal
esfandiyar2002 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:11 am

4)My purchased legit lens from States has been received repair service in Nikon Canada,thankfully.How many times should I repeat it?That is a very good question and I have no real answer to that!

I am done on this conversation conniving people on small facts that is not my real job,so be happy with your believes and findings.So,do me a favor:please forget what I said! If it pleases you,consider them wrong and accept my apology.I am very happy with my findings.Simple as that.
Not only you're incredibly offensive, you refuse to understand that your personal experience is not part of their official policy.

Officialy, Nikon will not service products bought from another country. There is no secret memo, it is said clearly on the link provided earlier: http://en.nikon.ca/nikon-products/grey-market.page
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2901 posts
553 upvotes
Vaughan
Yes Nikon Canada does not provide warranty service for lenses purchased in any other Country. When I did own a nikon camera. I was also told that nikon will only provide warranty to the original owner.

I bought a used 105 VR lens. Had the receipt. Got the lens recalibrated because it was front focusing. This was done under warranty, and no cost to me. This was a lens that was originally purchased in Canada though.

So with any policies ymmv. However I'm sure nikon Canada would be more strict on lenses that weren't purchased in Canada.

If I was still a nikon owner, I still would only buy my lenses from Canada. I wouldn't take the chance to get warranty serviced refused, when it's clearly stated in their policy.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment