Ordering Via Congee Queen App is SLOWER Than In Person

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2021 3:22 pm
[OP]
Oct 8, 2016
43 posts
31 upvotes

Ordering Via Congee Queen App is SLOWER Than In Person

We ordered food from Congee Queen using their app today, and knowing how busy they were likely going to be we ordered an hour in advance in the afternoon. When we went to pick up the food about half an hour after their promised pick up time, the food wasn't even ready! In fact, they don't actually start preparing the food until you show up and pay. People lined up who hadn't ordered who were ordering there in person at the restaurant who actually received their food before us. There were plenty of grumpy folks like us holding our email confirmations from the app waiting for another hour for food while folks walking in off the street were getting theirs first.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4029 posts
1622 upvotes
That's what happens when restaurants get overwhelmed with orders, chaos
Sep 24, 2017
169 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver
I went back to Vancouver a few years ago. I miss Scarborough congee queen. I was a few minutes walking distance away. I called them with my order. By the time I walked there, it was already done. Sorry to hear Toronto COVID situation.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44668 posts
7760 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I had a similar situation @ shish shAwarma on queen st...

I called in a take out order. I did it this way so the restaurant gets full profits for the order. Food apps take huge % from the orders.

When i got there 20 minutes later like how they said... they didnt even make the order yet!
They were prioritizing walk in orders and food app orders.

I wasted so much time from my work lunch.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6091 posts
2166 upvotes
I think its possible the staff there don't even bother to check the app orders until people get there in person & tell them. Didn't even know they had this option, though I don't go there much the last couple yrs
Nov 15, 2020
627 posts
358 upvotes
Same experience during the free sweet and sour pork thru app during the summer. They want to know you're actually going to be there
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6584 posts
3657 upvotes
Aurora
LOL. That really sucks, OP, I'd be upset too. Just try to remember that everything is kind of screwed up at the moment and nothing works as well as we want it to be. I'm sure Congee Queen would love not to piss off their customers and have their business back to the way it was before this insanity.
Jul 7, 2005
972 posts
147 upvotes
Not my experience with the app. The Agincourt location I order from always has my order ready before the 15 minutes estimated time. Likely human error/poor organization the day your ordered.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28615 posts
14025 upvotes
Toronto
Ordering on CNY day is just plain chaotic . No real need to ask why as there must be hundreds of orders to fill.
Feb 6, 2007
651 posts
181 upvotes
I had a bad experience with Congee Queen on New Year's Eve. Ordered via Ubereats in the early afternoon for pick up for dinner. 20 mins before we had to go pick up, the order was cancelled. Called CG, line was busy. CG app also wasn't taking any orders. I mean, if you're going to cancel my order or close your doors because you can't handle the amount of orders, at least cancel the order in advance. Had to scramble that night for dinner >:(
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5792 posts
1583 upvotes
Mississauga
booblehead wrote: Ordering on CNY day is just plain chaotic . No real need to ask why as there must be hundreds of orders to fill.
also avoid CQ for mother's day
Feb 5, 2007
664 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
i learned the hard way for takeout on chinese new year eve. Takeout places everywhere are bombed. The place i went to had a 90min wait time. Yea i left for another place but was still 45m
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28615 posts
14025 upvotes
Toronto
My coworker called in 3 days in advance and picked up her order at 3pm on eve of CNY Astonished Face