• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 8:36 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 17, 2011
26 posts
16 upvotes

Ordering wood online

Building a deck and I'm not sure of the best way to get the materials.

Every Home Depot nearby is out of stock of one thing or another, and I'm not even sure if stores are renting vehicles again. They don't seem to deliver wood either.

I could order from Lowe's for home delivery, but I'm concerned about getting bad or moldy pieces that I cannot use or return.

The biggest challenge is the lumber since I can't move the 12' boards. Everything else, I should be able to fit in my car.

Anyone with some experience or knowledge to share?
9 replies
Apr 8, 2010
802 posts
454 upvotes
toronto
Find a lumber yard. Those places more than likely will deliver and have stock
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5632 posts
2988 upvotes
I heard that there is a lumber shortage, is this true?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13089 posts
4176 upvotes
GTA
HD still rents out vans btw

Rona delivers also

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
First of all, where are you in the world and what material are you building your deck out of?

Generally speaking, if you were to order boards from a big box store, I wouldn't worry too much about getting moldy pieces, but your pieces will be warped. This said, you will probably be able to bend most of them back into shape, and the really warped ones you could use for longer pieces potentially.

Your best bet is to go to a local store or lumber mill who actually cares about the product they are giving you and won't give you pieces that are crazy warped and unusable.
Squirrel99 wrote: I heard that there is a lumber shortage, is this true?
As far as I'm aware there is not, like most things, lumber tends to be distribution and location sensitive, but in the GTA all the shelves have been fully stocked at my local store and mill.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5632 posts
2988 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: First of all, where are you in the world and what material are you building your deck out of?

Generally speaking, if you were to order boards from a big box store, I wouldn't worry too much about getting moldy pieces, but your pieces will be warped. This said, you will probably be able to bend most of them back into shape, and the really warped ones you could use for longer pieces potentially.

Your best bet is to go to a local store or lumber mill who actually cares about the product they are giving you and won't give you pieces that are crazy warped and unusable.

As far as I'm aware there is not, like most things, lumber tends to be distribution and location sensitive, but in the GTA all the shelves have been fully stocked at my local store and mill.
Even pressure treated?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
Squirrel99 wrote: Even pressure treated?
I guess I can't comment on that as I basically never use pressure treated, but in terms of all other wood stock, looks pretty good.

I have noticed that the more main stream stores are more picked over than the mills, but I assume that is just due to the increase in DIY projects and people not knowing all that much about the mills. Everything still seems to be in stock at most places though.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19471 posts
22607 upvotes
GTA
Squirrel99 wrote: Even pressure treated?
There are pressure treated wood shortages. I've seen it myself at the local home depots. Also read articles about it across north america. Everyone is fixing fences and rebuilding decks while they're stuck at home.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jul 31, 2017
414 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
If you're going to order online, i'd pick somewhere like Central Fairbank rather than the big box stores. Home Depot doesn't seem to care what junky wood they throw on the deliveries, they seem to use the oppurtunity to clear the crap that no right minded person would purchase instore. CF isn't perfect, but in my experience they care a little more about reputation.
Feb 26, 2019
602 posts
655 upvotes
Ottawa
Call a lumber yard. Every city has a few. Order what you need and get 10% extra. Some of the wood will be perfect and the vast majority will be usable, but inevitably a few boards will be too warped for use. Set aside those boards that are not usable - you can send these back to the yard. When your project is done, look at your "unusable pile". If its worth more than the pick-up/delivery fee charged by the lumber yard ($40-$80, typically), call them up and send them back. They will credit you for the unused wood (whether it is warped or not). This is totally normal, and lumber yards are accustomed to taking back a portion of an order at the end of a project.

Warped boards can also be used up in a project by using them as blocking, shorter runs, temporary bracing, etc. Some twist or warp in a 4 ft board will problably not matter.

Generally speaking larger boards (2x8s and up) are of better quality. Warping is typically only a big problem with 2x4s and 2x6s. 1x stock is always warped or twisted, but its easy to straighten out as you install it.