Students

OREA Admission test, anyone?

[OP]
Mar 21, 2009
63 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

OREA Admission test, anyone?

I wanna take a course at OREA , and I need I write a admission test. I dont know what kind of of this test. Anyone did it? is it hard? :?: thanks
130 replies
[OP]
Mar 21, 2009
63 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
i dont know. Its Ontario Real Estate.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2007
2841 posts
283 upvotes
Don't mind Civic for being completely stupid.

I don't really know anything about 'OREA' but did you check this out:

http://www.studyreal.com/

Maybe it can help you in some of your questions.
Sep 7, 2010
9 posts
Hi, I took the admission test couple of months back. I was sweating as well as I have no idea what are the questions they will ask. But I found the questions pretty simple & straightforward, you should not have any problems if you have good understanding of the English language and basic mathematics. They give you 3 hours, it was more than sufficient for me to finish it and recheck the entire paper. Don't forget to bring a calculator, you'll need it. Good luck! :)
Jan 23, 2011
1 posts
toronto
Thanks for the good information what worries me is i havent been in school for a while and cannot remember all formulas in math. Can you tell me what areas of math i should study better? Thanks!!
Nov 7, 2005
151 posts
19 upvotes
Could someone please give us a heads up on the math questions? What we should focus on? I've been out of school for 6 years now, and do know how to add, subtract and multiply, but grade 11 & 12 formulas.. I will need serious practice.

It's $50 for the test, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Nov 7, 2005
151 posts
19 upvotes
Hello again!

So I took the test in the meantime, and I received a mark of 94% without any prep at all :-)
It is 50 multiple choice questions on a computer and you have 3 hours - way more time than needed. There are about 10 computers in the testing room. You will receive the test results at the reception just as soon as you're done. Don't forget to bring a basic calculator, you will definitely need it - the calculator on your phone will not be allowed, since you obviously are not allowed to use your phone during testing.

The math portion - I am relieved to say, is this: adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and there was a heavy emphasis on calculating percentages. There will be case scenarios obviously relating to the profession, and you will calculate things like..

If Bob's annual income is 100,000, and the bank will approve a mortgage that will use 28% of his income towards his total annual payments, calculate Bob's monthly mortgage payments.
The answer in this case is (100,000 x 0.28) / 12 = $2333.33.
(This is not an actual test question, just one like it that I made up)

You will also have to calculate square footage and volume (If a storage container is 3' x 4' x 5', calculate how many cubic feet is its capacity).

Definitely bring a calculator with you, they'll ask for the answers up to 3 decimal points. So bottom line - this is way simpler than high school math, there is no calculus involved. If you are confident with multiplying, dividing, percentages, and calculating square and cubic footage or meters, you will be more than ok.

The English portion is just this: They will give you basic real estate principles, and underneath it you will have to answer a question that asks about the same principle (The answer is always within the paragraph above the question). They basically want to see if your English comprehension is at a college level - they do use sophisticated language, but as long as you understand English very well, you will not have any problems.

Hope this helps with either practice or just setting your mind at rest, and good luck to everyone taking the test! :)
Jun 22, 2011
2 posts
Hi Diamond,

Just a note to thank you.

I will be taking the test soon. You have helped me stop worrying.
Mar 20, 2011
62 posts
19 upvotes
PE
I helped someone prepare for the math portion of this exam and wrote up a bunch of review questions based on the handbook. I've uploaded the pdf and you're welcome to download it, if you like. This should be more than enough to prep for the math of the first (self-study) test.

https://www.strongspace.com/shared/ark88wkj43 NOTE: this is an updated link (Jan 2013) to a public folder that includes the questions and answers. I changed service providers and people have been emailing me asking for these files since the original link was no longer valid. The files themselves have not been updated, only the location of the files. So please continue to read the whole thread for further information about these files, and please disregard any further links to individual files as they've all been consolidated to the folder above. The http://www.rainsberger.ca links will take you to my current website and my current stuff, but not the OREA files you're looking for. :)

The questions in my review cover things like percentages, commission rates, cap rates, land transfer taxes, closing costs and closing cost adjustments (pro-rated taxes paid and/or heating oil in the tank), selling to listing price percentage difference, GDS, TDS, the Interest Act, mortgage payments etc. Most of the questions, as others have said, will be simple things like calculating square footage from a diagram or basic percents. I just made this worksheet for the more complicated/real-estate specific questions. They're all based on questions right out of the handbook, so nothing too wacky. If you can do these, then you're probably more than prepared.

EDITED TO ADD: This was from 2007, so it's entirely possible things have changed. It sounds like what OREA now calls their "admissions test" is just a basic math competency test. It used to be that "admission" to OREA was based on completing an independent study pre-course. My questions are from the exam from that pre-course, where students would study basic math but also be expected to know some real estate concepts like cap rates, land transfer taxes, maximum allowable mortgage payments for a person's financial situation etc. So while all my questions really are just basic math calculations, if you didn't have that course's textbook, you probably wouldn't know how to do those calculations. In a later post, I provide solutions and you can use them for basic math practice, but it sounds like you don't need to know that stuff for this new admissions test.
Jun 22, 2011
2 posts
Thanks Sarah,

I'm sure your post will help many in the future as it is sure to noted by Google.

Your very kind. :D
Jul 26, 2011
9 posts
EAST YORK
Would you be able to provide the answers for these questions?

sarah11918 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2011 6:47 am
I helped someone prepare for the math portion of this exam and wrote up a bunch of review questions based on the handbook. I've uploaded the pdf and you're welcome to download it, if you like. This should be more than enough to prep for the math of the first (self-study) test.

http://www.rainsberger.ca/OREAreviewquestions.pdf

The questions in my review cover things like percentages, commission rates, cap rates, land transfer taxes, closing costs and closing cost adjustments (pro-rated taxes paid and/or heating oil in the tank), selling to listing price percentage difference, GDS, TDS, the Interest Act, mortgage payments etc. Most of the questions, as others have said, will be simple things like calculating square footage from a diagram or basic percents. I just made this worksheet for the more complicated/real-estate specific questions. They're all based on questions right out of the handbook, so nothing too wacky. If you can do these, then you're probably more than prepared. :

EDITED TO ADD: This was from 2007, so it's entirely possible things have changed.
Mar 20, 2011
62 posts
19 upvotes
PE
rossabbott wrote:
Jul 27th, 2011 11:49 am
Would you be able to provide the answers for these questions?

Sure. (EDIT: My first post has been updated with a link to a folder that contains both questions and answers, so using that link you should be able to access everything)

Edited to add: Please see post #27 in this thread re: the answer to Question 6!
Jul 26, 2011
9 posts
EAST YORK
sarah11918 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2011 6:47 am

http://www.rainsberger.ca/OREAreviewquestions.pdf

The questions in my review cover things like percentages, commission rates, cap rates, land transfer taxes, closing costs and closing cost adjustments (pro-rated taxes paid and/or heating oil in the tank), selling to listing price percentage difference, GDS, TDS, the Interest Act, mortgage payments etc. Most of the questions, as others have said, will be simple things like calculating square footage from a diagram or basic percents. I just made this worksheet for the more complicated/real-estate specific questions. They're all based on questions right out of the handbook, so nothing too wacky. If you can do these, then you're probably more than prepared. :

EDITED TO ADD: This was from 2007, so it's entirely possible things have changed.

Thank you for the questions but do you have the answers?