• Mar 13th, 2022 10:13 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 25, 2020
350 posts
87 upvotes
oshawa

organize my tools

i have tools lying all over the place and found a nook in my basement that is 5 feet wide and 4 feet high from floor. my though was to put pegboard and hang them.
this is what i looked in amazon organizer

i am open for ideas.
I do have the ryobi 9 piece tool kit + lots of screws/nails/ collected over time
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2034 posts
1772 upvotes
GTA
I would probably recommend doing a French cleat wall as opposed to a pegboard, more customizable and better for hanging tools.

The alternative would just be to buy some good tool boxes and store it in a nice stack where you know where everything is. The packout 3 stack at HD is usually a good start, but is on the more expensive side.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2604 posts
506 upvotes
North York
Imo, keep an eye all out for the cheap tool chest deal at home Depot for 2-300. They aren't great but work a small tool set in the basement. From time to time they also pop up on that other classified site. I've got two in the basement and they do the job.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1202 posts
2155 upvotes
Toronto
clutch31 wrote: I probably have a similar amount of tools and I recently converted a built-in cabinet for tool storage. It's about 5'x4' as well.
I used this pegboard kit: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp

20220311_215707.jpg
Very nice but too much wasted spaces (it is almost like you are just trying to fill up all of the wall spaces with random stuff). You should try to hang all of the tools up. Either make custom holder for each of your tools or build adjustable cubbies for each individual tools.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8573 posts
7419 upvotes
Ottawa
OP: good for you to have gotten to the point where you have enough tools that you need to organize them!

I have found over the years that unless I am using certain tools regularly, I don't need to have them displayed so as to be handy when I need them on short notice. I have a pegboard set-up as well but have recently been thinking of going the other way and getting something like this: Trinity 72 in. Stainless-steel Rolling Workbench with Pegboard except that I am not sure that I would use the pegboard - except maybe for things like longer levels and bar clamps.

That said, I am not starting out and have thousands of tools accumulated over decades but the last time I invested in storing/organizing them was several hundred tools ago. I better get cracking.
I upvote RFDers who are respectful and helpful
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6678 posts
3238 upvotes
Durham
I did my own wall and shelving in a 77" x 64" space. Still need to organize when I have time.

IMG_20220313_081125.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1193 posts
1233 upvotes
GTA
PCShutters wrote: Very nice but too much wasted spaces (it is almost like you are just trying to fill up all of the wall spaces with random stuff). You should try to hang all of the tools up. Either make custom holder for each of your tools or build adjustable cubbies for each individual tools.
Thanks for the tips. Most of the tools at the bottom will eventually move to the garage... but yeah I plan to make more holders.