Expired Hot Deals

[Orient Watch USA] Orient Mako USA II watch on sale now! Extra 20% off with code MAKOSUMMER = 252 USD

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2019 10:14 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 21, 2011
32 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal

Orient Mako USA II watch on sale now! Extra 20% off with code MAKOSUMMER = 252 USD

Deal Link:
Price:
252 USD
Savings:
44%
Expiry:
August 25, 2019
Retailer:
Orient Watch USA
This is an excellent deal for an in-house automatic dive watch. The Orient Mako USA II is 41.5 mm and has a sapphire crystal, solid end-links, and great lume. The in-house movement allows for hand-winding and hacking. It comes in three colors, black, blue, and my favorite, white. On sale for $252 USD with code MAKOSUMMER!
25 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 24, 2009
1147 posts
778 upvotes
Montreal
Good watch, just remember shipping is $17/27 (UPS/FedEx) sales taxes and 5% duty brings it to over $400 CAD (and possibly brokerage fees on top) . You can get the Kamasu diver on Amazon for $361 (and has been as low as $350) which has almost identical specs.

I would also take a look at Heimdallr, which makes well put together Seiko dive watch homages with Seiko movements, very good bracelets and sapphire crystals. I just ordered the Sea Shepherd Tuna Can for $179 USD/$240 CAD shipped.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6865 posts
6031 upvotes
randomroyalty wrote: Good watch, just remember shipping is $17/27 (UPS/FedEx) sales taxes and 5% duty brings it to over $400 CAD (and possibly brokerage fees on top) . You can get the Kamasu diver on Amazon for $361 (and has been as low as $350) which has almost identical specs.

I would also take a look at Heimdallr, which makes well put together Seiko dive watch homages with Seiko movements, very good bracelets and sapphire crystals. I just ordered the Sea Shepherd Tuna Can for $179 USD/$240 CAD shipped.
I've been trying to find the LE blue and gold kamasu for a few weeks now and it seems only they have it in stock but all the additional fees are annoying.
Member
Aug 20, 2018
259 posts
268 upvotes
2019

spending $400 to know that time of day it is

🥱
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5962 posts
2478 upvotes
Debtario
randomroyalty wrote: Good watch, just remember shipping is $17/27 (UPS/FedEx) sales taxes and 5% duty brings it to over $400 CAD (and possibly brokerage fees on top) . You can get the Kamasu diver on Amazon for $361 (and has been as low as $350) which has almost identical specs.

I would also take a look at Heimdallr, which makes well put together Seiko dive watch homages with Seiko movements, very good bracelets and sapphire crystals. I just ordered the Sea Shepherd Tuna Can for $179 USD/$240 CAD shipped.
Just realized the Mako III was renamed the Kamasu, no wonder it looks similar.
That Tuna homage looks surprisingly decent, price is nice too considering I paid $860 for my SBBN017. Is Heimdallr the same as Sharkey? I haven't been following microbrands lately, looks like the same product rebranded.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2006
5624 posts
2011 upvotes
dcipub wrote: 2019

spending $400 to know that time of day it is

🥱
In 2019, people are still spending to know that they haven't walked enough steps in day too. At least you can check the time and not be constantly disappointed in yourself.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2006
5624 posts
2011 upvotes
randomroyalty wrote: I would also take a look at Heimdallr, which makes well put together Seiko dive watch homages with Seiko movements, very good bracelets and sapphire crystals. I just ordered the Sea Shepherd Tuna Can for $179 USD/$240 CAD shipped.
People are making Seiko homages now?? Now I've seen it all lol.

However, $240 for an Seiko automatic movement with a sapphire crystal is a pretty damn tempting price, I must admit. Bracelet looks decent too, although you never can tell with them until you hold it/wear it.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 24, 2009
1147 posts
778 upvotes
Montreal
M1K3Z0R wrote: . Is Heimdallr the same as Sharkey? I haven't been following microbrands lately, looks like the same product rebranded.
Yes I believe so, but the "Sharkey" name does not seem to appear on their site.

I did not realize the Mako III was renamed the Kamasu but indeed they are the same. Still different from the Mako USA II, however.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 24, 2009
1147 posts
778 upvotes
Montreal
deezz wrote: People are making Seiko homages now?? Now I've seen it all lol.
A testament to the desirability of Seiko watches. When a 62MAS reissue or a new Tuna going for $1000 and you can build a watch almost better than the original with a genuine Seiko movement and sell for less than $200 it's no surprise, really.

Now when we start to see Bulova and Citizen homages, I'll be floored, lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1625 posts
2069 upvotes
dcipub wrote: 2019

spending $400 to know that time of day it is

🥱
A lot of people spend $1000+ for high end watches
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 21, 2011
32 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
randomroyalty wrote: Good watch, just remember shipping is $17/27 (UPS/FedEx) sales taxes and 5% duty brings it to over $400 CAD (and possibly brokerage fees on top) . You can get the Kamasu diver on Amazon for $361 (and has been as low as $350) which has almost identical specs.

I would also take a look at Heimdallr, which makes well put together Seiko dive watch homages with Seiko movements, very good bracelets and sapphire crystals. I just ordered the Sea Shepherd Tuna Can for $179 USD/$240 CAD shipped.
The Kamasu is very similar to the Mako USA II but does not come in white which is what I find so appealing. Taste in watches is very personal, for example, your Heimdallr is 47mm and 14.5mm in height which a big watch, too big for my taste. Also it is always nice to have an in-house automatic movement.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 24, 2009
1147 posts
778 upvotes
Montreal
PMM9 wrote: Also it is always nice to have an in-house automatic movement.
Aside from the luxury Swiss and German brands, you have basically Seagull, Seiko, Orient, Citizen and Fossil with in-house movements. All other popular brands will be using off the shelf ETA, Sellita, Ronda, Seiko or Miyota (Citizen) movements, or miscellaneous Chinese movements. Even Even luxury Swiss watches with "in house" movements often start with ETA or Sellita movements and modify them.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14602 posts
5076 upvotes
Toronto
This is way too much money for an Orient. The Mako XL was $125 Cdn, Seiko Prospex Orange Samurai was $255 Cdn for Amazon Prime Day.

The Invicta Dive Watches have similar specs and are regularly under $100 Cdn

The new Mako has a sapphire crystal, that's good but I don't see it as necessary for a dive watch.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 21, 2011
32 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
Kurtz7834 wrote: This is way too much money for an Orient. The Mako XL was $125 Cdn, Seiko Prospex Orange Samurai was $255 Cdn for Amazon Prime Day.

The Invicta Dive Watches have similar specs and are regularly under $100 Cdn

The new Mako has a sapphire crystal, that's good but I don't see it as necessary for a dive watch.
Again, to each their own. If price is your only concern, then sure, I'd wear a huge orange watch with scratches on the glass. The Mako XL is 44.5mm and doesn't come in white, more of a cream color, no hacking, no sapphire, and the Prospex is 44.5mm, and orange. As for the Invictas, they do not compare at all.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17810 posts
1385 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Kurtz7834 wrote: This is way too much money for an Orient. The Mako XL was $125 Cdn, Seiko Prospex Orange Samurai was $255 Cdn for Amazon Prime Day.

The Invicta Dive Watches have similar specs and are regularly under $100 Cdn

The new Mako has a sapphire crystal, that's good but I don't see it as necessary for a dive watch.
I agree, and I actually got mine from amazon for $150. But after 8 months with it, I feel even $150 was too much.
It scratches way too easily! Mine started getting scratched from day 1.

8 months with an Orient Mako 2 as a daily driver, it has more scratches than my Seiko SKX007J - which was my daily driver for 8 years!
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14602 posts
5076 upvotes
Toronto
PMM9 wrote: Again, to each their own. If price is your only concern, then sure, I'd wear a huge orange watch with scratches on the glass. The Mako XL is 44.5mm and doesn't come in white, more of a cream color, no hacking, no sapphire, and the Prospex is 44.5mm, and orange. As for the Invictas, they do not compare at all.
Resale value on the Seiko will be WAY better than the Orient.

I guess if you really abuse your watch and brush it against everything, then sapphire only, although sapphire is also much more shatter prone if dropped.

My Invicta Grand Diver has a better bracelet than any thing I have seen on Orient dive watches. Invicta watches are killer deals if you can get them for $100 or less.

The Pro Divers are a similar 40mm size and they can be had sub $80 if you are patient.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 21, 2011
32 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
Kurtz7834 wrote: Resale value on the Seiko will be WAY better than the Orient.

I guess if you really abuse your watch and brush it against everything, then sapphire only, although sapphire is also much more shatter prone if dropped.

My Invicta Grand Diver has a better bracelet than any thing I have seen on Orient dive watches. Invicta watches are killer deals if you can get them for $100 or less.

The Pro Divers are a similar 40mm size and they can be had sub $80 if you are patient.
All quality/premium watches come with sapphire. Pro Diver is 14mm thick, so it won't wear as well as the Mako II, and it has "INVICTA" etched on the side of the case which cheapens the look a lot. Apparently the bracelets flex a lot and don't have solid end links, also the lume is horrible compare the the Mako USA II. We can go back and forth all day, but it depends what specs you want. If you want cheap, then your watch suggestions all fit the bill.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 21, 2011
32 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
konfusion666 wrote: I agree, and I actually got mine from amazon for $150. But after 8 months with it, I feel even $150 was too much.
It scratches way too easily! Mine started getting scratched from day 1.

8 months with an Orient Mako 2 as a daily driver, it has more scratches than my Seiko SKX007J - which was my daily driver for 8 years!
The Orient Mako 2 on Amazon.ca is the japanese version without the sapphire crystal.

Top