[Origin] $5.99!!! Star Wars Battlefront II for PC on Origin

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2019 5:04 am
[OP]
Apr 5, 2016
573 posts
1179 upvotes
BC
Happy to see so many of you can finally get and enjoy the game!

How are you guys liking it?
Was all the initial negative stuff overdone?
Well worth it right? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
May 30, 2017
289 posts
110 upvotes
Is this the battlefront two that was on PS3 and made like 8 years ago?
Dec 23, 2016
158 posts
103 upvotes
People should stop buying EA games and in turn, support their obsession with surprise mechanics.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1489 posts
438 upvotes
dattroll123 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 7:41 pm
People should stop buying EA games and in turn, support their obsession with surprise mechanics.
I hear what you are saying but at 6 bucks each, they sure aren't getting much support from us and a lot of people buying it at a very low price also sends a message to EA, doesn't it?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18922 posts
5740 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
kowell wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 9:50 pm
Doom was 70Gb and it was the biggest game I ever downloaded.... I remember when the Starcraft demo was like 35Mb and took all night to download...
Final Fantasy XV 155GB

Thankful to have fiber to the home these days, > 1 gigabit WAN I never thought we'd get here.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11185 posts
10513 upvotes
Oakville
kowell wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 8:23 am
Go with the originals. I still replay the old Tie-Fighter game every few year. After the initial purple-polygon shock the game is still as awesome and challenging as ever. THe only problem would gbe getting you rhands on a working joystick if you haven't kept one from way back.
I think I still have an old flight stick around, but it's serial I think (DB9 or some other game port? I forget). Do those games even run on modern hardware? I suppose someone has ported them?
I don't mind an Xbox gamepad for flight games, though I haven't used a flight stick in quite a while.

I know someone is remaking Dark Forces in the Unreal engine.
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-dark-f ... ks-amazing

Looks like someone is remaking Xwing as well.
https://www.polygon.com/2016/12/28/1410 ... ster-unity
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12949 posts
2347 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I guess I'm starting a Origin library to go with my Steam library.

For someone who never watched Star Wars before, is this a good game to play?
Dec 23, 2016
158 posts
103 upvotes
feminazi wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 7:54 pm
I hear what you are saying but at 6 bucks each, they sure aren't getting much support from us and a lot of people buying it at a very low price also sends a message to EA, doesn't it?
That is some seriously flawed logic. It doesn't matter how much you paid. The fact you bought it means it's money in their hands. And the reason why EA keeps pushing micortransactions is because it's a very lucrative form of recurring revenue that has very low costs, so in the big picture, they don't mind the game being sold at a major discount. In fact, it gives the illusion that the game is a "great deal" by lowering the barrier to entry, so that means more people to get suckered in by their predatory practices.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1913 posts
1117 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 8:30 pm
I think I still have an old flight stick around, but it's serial I think (DB9 or some other game port? I forget). Do those games even run on modern hardware? I suppose someone has ported them?
GOG has made all the old Star Wars simulators(along with many other classic games of all types) run on modern hardware. https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_tie_ ... al_edition

GOG goes even as far as offering all versions of Tie Fighter from the original 94 version, the better 95 version(IMO the best one), and the 98 version which looks the best...but has the worst soundtrack of the three. Just wait for a sale and you can snag this game or any of the other X-Wing series games for cheap, and GOG is DRM free.

The only minus I found returning to these games was realizing how much harder these old games are compared to the stuff from today.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11185 posts
10513 upvotes
Oakville
JeganV wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 9:26 pm
GOG has made all the old Star Wars simulators(along with many other classic games of all types) run on modern hardware. https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_tie_ ... al_edition

GOG goes even as far as offering all versions of Tie Fighter from the original 94 version, the better 95 version(IMO the best one), and the 98 version which looks the best...but has the worst soundtrack of the three. Just wait for a sale and you can snag this game or any of the other X-Wing series games for cheap, and GOG is DRM free.

The only minus I found returning to these games was realizing how much harder these old games are compared to the stuff from today.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Yea, we had much more time to focus on one game back then, so more time to work on them.
Dec 13, 2009
580 posts
146 upvotes
North Bay
EA's Battlefront II is far better now than it was at launch. A proper progression
system was added for leveling, conquest was added online for the existing PT
maps
with Naboo dropping this month and Felucia coming sometime in the fall.

4 new hero's have been added: Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker,
General Grievous & Count Dooku. New reinforcements have rolled out:
Commando Droids & Arc Troopers and also Droideka's are being patched-in
just this Wednesday. A bunch of skins have been added since 2017, Arcade AI
has been significantly improved and they're working on new PvE modes which should
arrive sometimes late summer or fall (they're suppose to go into detail on them
sometime in August)...

That, and a lot more. The support this game has received is incredible and if
it continues I might end up liking it more than Pandemic's original BFII. I'm
really excited to see what they have planned for PvE...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6729 posts
2551 upvotes
Toronto
arcty5 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 7:36 pm
Is this the battlefront two that was on PS3 and made like 8 years ago?
You're probably thinking of the 2005 classic in the PS2 era, and no it's the reboot of the series and came out in 2017.

I'll wait for a similar deal on PS4, my puny 23" monitor won't be the same as a big screen TV.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1489 posts
438 upvotes
dattroll123 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 8:46 pm
That is some seriously flawed logic. It doesn't matter how much you paid. The fact you bought it means it's money in their hands. And the reason why EA keeps pushing micortransactions is because it's a very lucrative form of recurring revenue that has very low costs, so in the big picture, they don't mind the game being sold at a major discount. In fact, it gives the illusion that the game is a "great deal" by lowering the barrier to entry, so that means more people to get suckered in by their predatory practices.
I get what you are saying but I have NEVER paid for in-game content in a micro-transaction in ANY game so all they are going to get from me is 6 bucks minus costs etc. therefore I am NOT supporting their micro-transactions. The concept appalls and disgusts me.

You can choose to associate supporting micro-transactions with the deeply discounted purchase of a base game if you wish but logically, it is a flawed argument that does not follow.

Anyway, back to the deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6463 posts
3343 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
The other day I grabbed SW:BF II, BF1, BF:Hardline, BF4, and Titanfall 2:Ultimate Ed all for a total of around $30 CAD in order to test them out in VR using vorpX.
So far I've played Titanfall 2 ($8.99 for the Ultimate Ed vs $12.99 for the Standard...WTF????), and it looks incredible.
Have yet to try the rest.

There was a small Summer Sale a few days ago, but some of the other titles like the Crysis series, Battlefield, etc, have now returned to their full pricing.
May 30, 2017
289 posts
110 upvotes
Angultra wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:36 pm
You're probably thinking of the 2005 classic in the PS2 era, and no it's the reboot of the series and came out in 2017.

I'll wait for a similar deal on PS4, my puny 23" monitor won't be the same as a big screen TV.
That game was epic, if this one is anything like the old one I'm in!