• May 28th, 2015 10:10 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
827 posts
215 upvotes
Markham

Orlando International Airport to International Drive Orlando

Hello,

What would be the cheapest option to get from Orlando International (MCO) to international drive (to a hotel along the strip)

Going from June 21 - june 26th

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences doing so, taxi's are over priced.. I've heard of Mears and apparently UBER is banned?

bus is 2 bucks but my flight arrives midnight so not sure if buses are still running around that time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
21 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38211 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
Any car rental agencies will work (the key is to book with as a "Gold", "Platinum" member ect... as "regular" bookings are offsite and require you to use a shuttle.
Also, do not rent cars with a toll transponder, as you will be charged $10/day if you use it as a method of paying toll fees (pay via cash at the tolls instead).
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
827 posts
215 upvotes
Markham
vkizzle wrote: Any car rental agencies will work (the key is to book with as a "Gold", "Platinum" member ect... as "regular" bookings are offsite and require you to use a shuttle.
Also, do not rent cars with a toll transponder, as you will be charged $10/day if you use it as a method of paying toll fees (pay via cash at the tolls instead).
I've never rented a car before so heres a stupid question.. should I rent through expedia along with my hotel/flight? and rent as 'gold' or 'platinum' or rent a car when I arrive?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38211 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
onefive wrote: I've never rented a car before so heres a stupid question.. should I rent through expedia along with my hotel/flight? and rent as 'gold' or 'platinum' or rent a car when I arrive?
Try booking directly with the car agency first and then compare the price with the likes of expedia etc...
Lately, I haven't seen any significant savings form these websites and have been booking flights, hotel and car separately.
To be a gold or platinum member, you have to apply with the rental agency to receive a membership# (certain restrictions and qualifications depending on each agency).
It's not a big deal, as the shuttle ride is only a few minutes off the airport; but is a convenience at the least.
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
Beware of Thrifty (and probably other agencies at MCO) they are not there to help you, but to sell extra insurance / packages / hyghway "kits"
Feb 9, 2005
927 posts
226 upvotes
Go to mousesavers site. Lots of coupon codes on their for car rentals. Lots of tips.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18119 posts
9177 upvotes
onefive wrote: I've never rented a car before so heres a stupid question.. should I rent through expedia along with my hotel/flight? and rent as 'gold' or 'platinum' or rent a car when I arrive?
You will want to have your car rental reservation on it's own so that you can cancel as rates change. Costcotravel.com is a great place to start looking at rates, however I found it was cheaper to book through the rental agency itself and use discount codes found on Flyertalk.com. I have read people using rentalcarmomma too.

We booked through Dollar (in Orlando) and experience a very slow and long line. However, their rates were really cheap. If you are booking through one of the agency's themselves, then look up how to join their member program because you might be some perks (like entering your info ahead of time and avoiding the line). If you do this, check when the cut off is, for example for Dollar they only take these fast track reservations until 11pm (which doesn't work for you).

You can also take a shuttle (but if you have enough people it usually doesn't work out cheaper than a cab) - SuperShuttle services Orlando but no idea if it runs beyond midnight.

How much is a taxi to I Drive? It's not that far from the airport so I would be surprised if it's that expensive that you would consider renting a car instead (as you obviously have your transportation determined for all your other needs).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7139 posts
4048 upvotes
Ottawa
If it was me, I'd use Uber. But also check with the hotel. It's probably likely they have a shuttle.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9087 posts
3697 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote: If it was me, I'd use Uber. But also check with the hotel. It's probably likely they have a shuttle.
No hotel would have shuttle from MCO to Int'l Dr, it's too far.

If renting a car, how long would you keep the car for? If it's just to get to the hotel, you'll have to return it so it won't incur more charges after the first day. So you'll need to figure out how to get/from your hotel to that rental return.

The airport shuttles (e.g. Super shuttle or others) are running even at midnight.

But even hiring a private shuttle/sedan or taxi, would not be that expensive. When you arrive after midnight, you'll be tired, you don't want to haul your luggage to try to catch the local buses.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7139 posts
4048 upvotes
Ottawa
Arrgh wrote: No hotel would have shuttle from MCO to Int'l Dr, it's too far.

If renting a car, how long would you keep the car for? If it's just to get to the hotel, you'll have to return it so it won't incur more charges after the first day. So you'll need to figure out how to get/from your hotel to that rental return.

The airport shuttles (e.g. Super shuttle or others) are running even at midnight.

But even hiring a private shuttle/sedan or taxi, would not be that expensive. When you arrive after midnight, you'll be tired, you don't want to haul your luggage to try to catch the local buses.
At least some of the hotels listed here offer airport shuttle http://www.tripadvisor.ca/HotelsList-Or ... 65402.html

The shuttles are an option but check the prices - I think when I checked, it wasn't that much cheaper than a taxi and more than Uber.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9087 posts
3697 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote: At least some of the hotels listed here offer airport shuttle http://www.tripadvisor.ca/HotelsList-Or ... 65402.html

The shuttles are an option but check the prices - I think when I checked, it wasn't that much cheaper than a taxi and more than Uber.
Well I was talking about free shuttles. If you want to talk about paid shuttles, then all the hotels in the world can offer shuttles, limos, taxis, that you have to pay.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5132 posts
1771 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: Any car rental agencies will work (the key is to book with as a "Gold", "Platinum" member ect... as "regular" bookings are offsite and require you to use a shuttle.
Pretty sure they changed the rules now. They don't require transponders for rentals and it's $3.75/day for the days you use tolls. At least for the rental companies I use.
https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38211 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
GateGuardian wrote: Pretty sure they changed the rules now. They don't require transponders for rentals and it's $3.75/day for the days you use tolls. At least for the rental companies I use.
https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
Looks like the fees have been reduced and maximum monthly charges capped (good move).
At any case, certain cars have it installed by default and once you use it, you will pay the daily fee on top of the toll charge.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
827 posts
215 upvotes
Markham
TrevorK wrote: You will want to have your car rental reservation on it's own so that you can cancel as rates change. Costcotravel.com is a great place to start looking at rates, however I found it was cheaper to book through the rental agency itself and use discount codes found on Flyertalk.com. I have read people using rentalcarmomma too.

We booked through Dollar (in Orlando) and experience a very slow and long line. However, their rates were really cheap. If you are booking through one of the agency's themselves, then look up how to join their member program because you might be some perks (like entering your info ahead of time and avoiding the line). If you do this, check when the cut off is, for example for Dollar they only take these fast track reservations until 11pm (which doesn't work for you).

You can also take a shuttle (but if you have enough people it usually doesn't work out cheaper than a cab) - SuperShuttle services Orlando but no idea if it runs beyond midnight.

How much is a taxi to I Drive? It's not that far from the airport so I would be surprised if it's that expensive that you would consider renting a car instead (as you obviously have your transportation determined for all your other needs).
Taxi to I-Drive is ~45-50 bucks apparently and that's if they don't run the meter... had an experience with that at Fort Lauderdale to the port for a cruise which is a 10 mins ride... this driver went in a big circle. Called the driver out on it too.. lol

Will just opt in to the shuttle offered on expedia (mears) 42 bucks round trip per person... and will use the free shuttle and the I-trolley to get around and to save some money on parking in parks. Will rent a car if needed for a few days.

thanks for the advice!
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
827 posts
215 upvotes
Markham
michelb wrote: If it was me, I'd use Uber. But also check with the hotel. It's probably likely they have a shuttle.
Was on the UBER forum and police have been ticketing uber drivers so most of them are scared to go there
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18119 posts
9177 upvotes
onefive wrote: Taxi to I-Drive is ~45-50 bucks apparently and that's if they don't run the meter... had an experience with that at Fort Lauderdale to the port for a cruise which is a 10 mins ride... this driver went in a big circle. Called the driver out on it too.. lol

Will just opt in to the shuttle offered on expedia (mears) 42 bucks round trip per person... and will use the free shuttle and the I-trolley to get around and to save some money on parking in parks. Will rent a car if needed for a few days.

thanks for the advice!
Sorry - I didn't realize it was that far. It just seemed like a 5 minute drive when we went (we had a car).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7139 posts
4048 upvotes
Ottawa
TrevorK wrote: Sorry - I didn't realize it was that far. It just seemed like a 5 minute drive when we went (we had a car).
Depends a bit on where you are going on International and time of day / traffic but it's probably 20-30 minutes (Google maps says 21 minutes to random picked spot on the route). Could easily be 1+ hour if traffic is really bad though ...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7139 posts
4048 upvotes
Ottawa
onefive wrote: Was on the UBER forum and police have been ticketing uber drivers so most of them are scared to go there
I personally don't think it's that bad (Police in Ottawa have been ticketing Uber drivers but it hasn't stopped them) but I haven't taken Uber from MCO.

I just don't see them being that aggressive about it (it's not as if drivers have a big sign saying "Uber driver" on their car so for a police standing outside, it just looks like anybody else picking up someone ...)

If anyone has first hand experience, I'd be curious to know. (I used Uber a few times to / from TPA and PIE this year (and TB is also fighting Uber) but not from MCO)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1888 posts
457 upvotes
You will need a car in Orlando, unless you plan to stay only in the resort.
Reserve one through Costco travel (US or Canada) whichever is cheaper.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
827 posts
215 upvotes
Markham
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)