• Jan 3rd, 2018 10:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12131 posts
1932 upvotes
Vancouver

OS X switch to windows 10?

Has anyone switched from iOS to a PC and windows? What are your thoughts and experiences. I have a few threads going and I’m very close in making a decision. A big leap from iOS for many years to windows . I switched many years ago because windows was pretty much a nightmare a lot of times. PC would have lots of pop ups, notifications, tonnes of ads and pop ups while using the browser. I don’t think I experienced many virus. I also wasn’t keen on the uninstalling of programs and many files would still linger. Potentially slowing down the PC.

All these things still concern me. Has the operating system changed a lot from 8-10 years ago?

Or perhaps must programs I should have knowing my concerns? I’m very close to a decision. I already switched my iPhone to an android.

Thanks.
Last edited by trellaine201 on Jan 1st, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12131 posts
1932 upvotes
Vancouver
Oops ya lol. iOS is iPads etc.

My bad.

Thanks
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19070 posts
5087 upvotes
Toronto
You must mean macOS / Mac OS X.

Yes, Windows 10 is a vast improvement over Windows XP, and is a nice improvement over Windows 7 as well. I hated Windows 8 and 8.1.

However, I still prefer macOS over Windows 10. macOS seems more polished but it's not perfect either. It really depends on what you do though. I run macOS 10.13 High Sierra and Windows 10 side by side.

As for browser ads and popups, just install an ad blocker and block popups. That shouldn't be a huge problem on either platform.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33511 posts
7141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You must have a reason for switching from Mac to a PC, I doubt the operating system is a factor in your decision. There must be an application that you need.

To answer your original question, PCs are still a huge target but it is not as bad as before. Just get a good browser and install an ad blocker.

Ransomeware is the new virus.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12131 posts
1932 upvotes
Vancouver
Ransomeware? Okay I shouldn’t get too many annoying issues? Reason I’m switching is Mac has priced me out as well some of the proprietary control bothers me. I think I get more value. I suppose it can be debated over and over and has.

I was just concerned switching from OS X to Windows.

I guess I’ll just do it and deal with issues. I think years ago I was annoyed by the manufacturers pop ups whether a program or the manufacturers pop ups telling me to do something.

Maybe it’s less now or ways to control it :)
Jul 16, 2008
343 posts
108 upvotes
ON
What Mac are you using? Why don't you try bootcamp to dual boot W10 to get a taste first?
Dec 10, 2017
314 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't had a virus or malware in YEARS using simply google chrome, and uBlock origin extension.

I have windows defender, and malwarebytes free edition.

Its very hard to get one these days unless you click mindlessly all over the place on weird scammy sites id imagine. I use all sorts of illegal stream sites for sports with tons of ads, make accidental clicks, download some music and movies, no problems.

Just setup your pc and create a USB stick with the windows 10 iso, and all your PC drivers and a folder with a backup of your files / documents. If you ever get in trouble, takes 1-2 hours tops to wipe your computer back fresh, load your latest drivers, install all windows updates and restore your documents. I just back up once per month and it takes me 30 min of copying folders and double checking driver updates. Very dif than the past windows experiences imo, they tried to move more user focused but still have underlying windows customization and control.. its a hybrid of iOS theory and old-school windows theory somewhat to the average user.
Stay Frosty'
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12131 posts
1932 upvotes
Vancouver
that sounds like a good idea-thanks. glad to hear bout the lack of virus etc. i appreciate your suggestions.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19070 posts
5087 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Ransomeware? Okay I shouldn’t get too many annoying issues? Reason I’m switching is Mac has priced me out as well some of the proprietary control bothers me. I think I get more value. I suppose it can be debated over and over and has.

I was just concerned switching from OS X to Windows.

I guess I’ll just do it and deal with issues. I think years ago I was annoyed by the manufacturers pop ups whether a program or the manufacturers pop ups telling me to do something.

Maybe it’s less now or ways to control it :)
You’ll want to get a PC with no bloat. Stay away from the el cheapo stuff.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19070 posts
5087 upvotes
Toronto
Just FYI,

It's taken me many, many hours over the last two days to update my Windows 10 laptop and my Windows 10 nettop. These are slower machines, yes, but the Windows update process can still be much more painful than it really needs to be. Windows 10 tries to update in the background, but on slower machines it can use over 50% of your CPU cycles, as well as significant disk access. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to limit its CPU usage, short of killing the service. It's taking this long because on one of the machines one of the Cumulative Updates repeatedly failed. Finally I ran some cmd prompt commands known to fix Windows Update issues, and while I'm not sure if that did anything, with that and multiple reboots it seems the updates are progressing finally.

These are infrequently used machines with not much software on them, but nonetheless, these updates are really this painful even on these light machines. I guess the problem with these machines is that they've been off a lot of the time, since I don't use them that often, so for the times they are on Windows tries get all those updates loaded, eating up all my resources. But when it fails to update, it just tries again later, so with every reboot it tries again and eats up all those CPU cycles again. It's really frustrating.

But like I said, now it seems things are progressing finally. Hopefully it works, cuz even just surfing on this machine when this updating is happening is really, really irritating.

EDIT:

Nope. Second machine failed the update yet again. Made it to 82% and now it's restoring to the previous state. :(
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33511 posts
7141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
trellaine201 wrote: that sounds like a good idea-thanks. glad to hear bout the lack of virus etc. i appreciate your suggestions.
Yep, rarely do you see virus’. Ransomware and now Microsoft is sending you ads.

Get an SSD and it should take you 20 minutes to install Windows from scratch. It really is different.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2191 posts
473 upvotes
Red Deer
I use Apple hardware mainly because I want the flexibility to dual boot into both Windows and macOS. Currently I'm using Windows 10 Pro and macOS High Sierra.

In my opinion Windows 10 is fantastic, it's so much better than 8/8.1 and I even like it now more than 7 but I still have a few gripes with Windows in general that my main daily OS is High Sierra. Windows Update is still a cluster F* imo. It took over 2 hours to complete the update from 1703 to 1709 (the fall creators update), involved 5+ restarts and that was after a half dozen failed update attempts (full download and install attempts) that spanned a few weeks. I searched the windows update error code I was getting and I got so many hits on the subject it was demoralizing. Just to put that in perspective, I clean installed High Sierra and restored a full Time-machine backup from 3 users, in 30 mins.

The other element is the wife and son factor. Both my wife and son now use macOS without any issues and more importantly without needing any "admin" help. Whenever they used the Windows side it was a nightmare for me, getting calls at work from both of them, "this thing keeps popping up", "that's not working", "the computer is doing something" .... and on and on.... I haven't gotten a single tech call from them when they're using the macOS side.

Having said all that, I totally get the temptation to switch, the sticker shock with Apple keeps getting worse and I've contemplated the switch back to Windows myself a number of times. In the end for me and my family, that switch has a cost too, maybe not monetary but I certainly consider time and frustration to be a cost. I like having the flexibility to use both OSes and if I made the switch I would feel boxed in on the Windows side which is a no-go. But if you're strictly just concerned with what you posted about earlier (ads and viruses), these are easily managed on the Windows side and should not deter you from switching.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12131 posts
1932 upvotes
Vancouver
Thank u for taking time to reply with your detailed thoughts and opinions. Seems quite honest. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
I am primarily a Windows 10 user; had a Windows phone for like 2 years, but currently use an Android phone; have a MacOS/Win 7 laptop; an HP tablet; and my Win 10 machine virtualizes a few Ubuntu servers (16.04 mostly, and one 17.10). Just mentioning this because I would like to emphasize that I really don't care what OS I run, as long as it does what I need; I don't really have any brand loyalty in the computer world.

With that out of the way, Win 10 is pretty nice at this point IMO; the idiotic interface that was initially forced on Win 8 users is gone, replaced with a clever mix of the old start menu and those large dynamic "icon boxes". When Win10 came out, it was a pretty slick polish of Win 8 that came with some nice new features, and Win 8 itself contained quite a few nice behind-the-scenes polish over Win 7. Since release, with the "major" updates Windows has gotten over the past while, most of the complaints people had with odd design/operational choices are largely resolved. Something you might like, which is relatively new, is that your new Android phone now has a conduit of communication with Windows via the Cortana app, if you want. With Win 10's updated grouped notification window, Cortana for Android will link up most of your notifications between your devices. If you work on your PC, it's nice not to take your phone out of your pocket except, you know, to make a call.

The "slowdown" that happens is programmatically still a concern, but since SSDs/CPUs are so fast, and we load machines up with so much RAM, it hasn't mattered for years. Basically, the computer will probably be dealing with remnants of leftover components of software, but you'll never experience it from your end. Microsoft has made considerable strides in squashing memory leaks and odd system instability as well; you'll only see the "blue screen of death" if a piece of hardware (RAM or harddrive usually) is failing. FWIW, my system uptime is currently 19 days on that virtualized Win 10 machine which is my workstation that I use (basically) every day.

Depending on what you do, the software between MacOS and Win10 should be virtually identical, other than superficial visual differences. Aside from the Adobe suite, which is basically the same between the two OSes, the Windows version of an app is generally better. Usually it doesn't matter though, as all the important functionalities are generally the same.

As for viruses, you're pretty equally vulnerable with both OSes for the most part, which is to say they're both reasonably secure.

If you're familiar with how Windows 95 and on operated, Win 10 won't be a big learning curve; everything is generally the same, just a lot better (IMO). If you've not used any Windows OS in the last 8-10 years, it'll probably be pretty weird to switch over, but if you recall, Windows is a pretty basic OS to use. If you've got some time to burn, you could always just dig up any old PC and install win 10 on it; you don't need to buy a license to test it out, and the hardware requirements are low enough that most decent hardware from the last 10 years will probably work well enough to at least have a look around. By far, simply getting used to the differences in how things work between MacOS and Windows (and Linux desktops as well) was my main issue switching between the OSes. Functionally, they're the same. I believe you can install Safari in Windows as well, but you'll probably land on Chrome.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19070 posts
5087 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: Just FYI,

It's taken me many, many hours over the last two days to update my Windows 10 laptop and my Windows 10 nettop. These are slower machines, yes, but the Windows update process can still be much more painful than it really needs to be. Windows 10 tries to update in the background, but on slower machines it can use over 50% of your CPU cycles, as well as significant disk access. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to limit its CPU usage, short of killing the service. It's taking this long because on one of the machines one of the Cumulative Updates repeatedly failed. Finally I ran some cmd prompt commands known to fix Windows Update issues, and while I'm not sure if that did anything, with that and multiple reboots it seems the updates are progressing finally.

These are infrequently used machines with not much software on them, but nonetheless, these updates are really this painful even on these light machines. I guess the problem with these machines is that they've been off a lot of the time, since I don't use them that often, so for the times they are on Windows tries get all those updates loaded, eating up all my resources. But when it fails to update, it just tries again later, so with every reboot it tries again and eats up all those CPU cycles again. It's really frustrating.

But like I said, now it seems things are progressing finally. Hopefully it works, cuz even just surfing on this machine when this updating is happening is really, really irritating.

EDIT:

Nope. Second machine failed the update yet again. Made it to 82% and now it's restoring to the previous state. :(
@%@#$@#$^@#$$%

I deleted all the old updater files and then made a USB drive installer for a clean install of Windows 10. The update fails yet again. Angry Face And then when I reboot, it seems it's not a totally clean install as the OS reverts back to where I restarted, which is nice, but it then eventually starts re-downloading the updater files for a re-install, again slowing down the computer, which obviously is not nice. What a frickin' PITA. I'm tempted to just wipe the drive and install Chrome. Rob's description of Windows Update as a "cluster f*ck" is pretty apt.

Maybe because I'm a masochist I'll give it one more try, this time by wiping the drive first and then doing a clean install on a fresh drive. If that fails, then I'd just install Chrome.

I guess I'll have to bring my old Windows 10 desktop back out. I was hoping not to do that, because it takes up a lot of desk space, The reason I've been trying to update this other old Acer Revo machine is because it's a small nettop and saves a lot of space, but oh well.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12273 posts
3414 upvotes
Most likely you have some sort of hardware issue going on if it keeps failing.
EugW wrote: @%@#$@#$^@#$$%

I deleted all the old updater files and then made a USB drive installer for a clean install of Windows 10. The update fails yet again. Angry Face And then when I reboot, it seems it's not a totally clean install as the OS reverts back to where I restarted, which is nice, but it then eventually starts re-downloading the updater files for a re-install, again slowing down the computer, which obviously is not nice. What a frickin' PITA. I'm tempted to just wipe the drive and install Chrome. Rob's description of Windows Update as a "cluster f*ck" is pretty apt.

Maybe because I'm a masochist I'll give it one more try, this time by wiping the drive first and then doing a clean install on a fresh drive. If that fails, then I'd just install Chrome.

I guess I'll have to bring my old Windows 10 desktop back out. I was hoping not to do that, because it takes up a lot of desk space, The reason I've been trying to update this other old Acer Revo machine is because it's a small nettop and saves a lot of space, but oh well.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12131 posts
1932 upvotes
Vancouver
Thank u everyone :) some very nice thoughts on making the "switch"