• Mar 1st, 2017 12:12 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12141 posts
2760 upvotes
Guelph

Osap debt written off after 6 years?

In Wednesdays Metro newspaper, there was a small article on the government having to write off a ton of bad student loans. It stated that legally the loan has to be written off after 6 years. Apparently you cant legally go after a loan if it passes the 6 year mark.

Is this true? Can you just not pay for 6 years and have it written off?
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
I've never heard anything about the 6 year thing but I know you can not absolve OSAP loans by declaring bankruptcy and that they can and will take it off your paycheque if you stop paying them.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
pay your debts or dont borrow. life isnt a bunch of handouts.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12141 posts
2760 upvotes
Guelph
http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/201 ... loans.html

Liberals move to write off $178 million in unpaid student debt

Federal officials dismiss debts that they won't be able to collect on, either because bankruptcy was filed, the debt has passed a six-year limit, or the debtor can’t be found.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
3633 posts
1972 upvotes
Thornhill
Never heard about this 6 year rule...":0
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2207 posts
1398 upvotes
Etobicoke
It's not like the government needs the money :rolleyes:
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
squall458 wrote: In Wednesdays Metro newspaper, there was a small article on the government having to write off a ton of bad student loans. It stated that legally the loan has to be written off after 6 years. Apparently you cant legally go after a loan if it passes the 6 year mark.

i don't believe such rule exists, but maybe for accounting purpose they are written off, but still in effect. well, maybe ask Syne who is the authority on OSAP in this forum.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
squall458 wrote: In Wednesdays Metro newspaper, there was a small article on the government having to write off a ton of bad student loans. It stated that legally the loan has to be written off after 6 years. Apparently you cant legally go after a loan if it passes the 6 year mark.

Well that depends on how well they do their job. If you fail to pay they should be garnishing your wages and taking your TAX return.

For some reason they decided not to do that for a while. I know someone who just stopped paying any they never came after him.

He hasn't had any issues purchasing vehicles or a house.

Guess I'm the sucker for continuing to pay back my student loans.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
This is beyond ridiculous. I paid off every last penny and there are going to be some people who get off a free ride again.

I assume there are some legit cases like bankruptcy and maybe the person has passed on but people escaping their debts should be found and have some form of punishment especially if we know they have a known address in Canada and are still filing tax returns.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: i don't believe such rule exists, but maybe for accounting purpose they are written off, but still in effect. well, maybe ask Syne who is the authority on OSAP in this forum.
I think you're correct that it's an accounting measure. I find it hard to believe they'd legally have to forgive debt after 6 years, seems more likely they'd just have to assume it'll never be collected.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Evil Baby wrote:

He hasn't had any issues purchasing vehicles or a house.

how is that possible? It'd be on his credit report as delinquent. Maybe he had someone to cosign on the loans?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
HIs family is out East, so its just him and his wife. I don't think she has stellar credit either. I mean, he stopped paying his student loans a long time ago so perhaps its already fallen off his credit report although I thought it always stayed on there.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4797 posts
239 upvotes
Austin/Markham
I "think" this is true for the Federal part of the loan. The OSAP loan has a Federal and Provincial part (even though the O in OSAP stands for Ontario), the Harris gov made the provincial part impossible to write off, even after 10+ years but the Federal portion is different.

So in theory folks' Federal portion has been erased but the provincial portion still exists.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain