• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2019 4:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto

OSAP "Restricted due to Income Discrepancy"

In year 1 of my grad degree, 2015, I reported my income but I never updated it after applying in March(ish). Unfortunately, I worked April - July and made good money that wasn't accounted for.

Got an e-mail from OSAP saying I'm restricted due to discrepancy and to wait for a package in mail. Has anyone had this happen to them? I know it's an honest mistake and I have the job offers to show it.

Can it be rectified? I'm scared I'll get a 5 year restriction but am going back to school in Sept for PhD perhaps.

Cheers!
Last edited by Auditore212 on Jan 23rd, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo Mobile
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I had this done to me, you need to explain in a letter why there is a discrepancy.

In my case I put down 0 income when I actually had some...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote: Likely OSAP will reach out to you and follow up for an explanation; once they clarify your income they will recalculate: https://osap.gov.on.ca/dc/PRD5671219
Yeah, I'm just worried about the processing time. I have no problem paying back some of it if they recalculate.
flyingnurse wrote: I had this done to me, you need to explain in a letter why there is a discrepancy.

In my case I put down 0 income when I actually had some...
Oh snap, I'll start working on it. If you don't mind sharing, did they end up restricting you from future OSAP or were they forgiving in any way?
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
After sending my heartfelt letter they forgave me and it did not affect future loans.
Jul 7, 2017
27 posts
2 upvotes
I put down 0 but started working at school part-time. They sent me a letter and I filled it out on how much I was making. OSAP wasn't affected.
Dec 19, 2017
2 posts
How long did osap take to process the income verification letter and remove the restriction
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
User154421 wrote: How long did osap take to process the income verification letter and remove the restriction
Processing the income verification took between 4-6 weeks. Your Financial Aid office will also know if they've processed and/or received any documentation.

The restriction has NOT been removed from my account. I am currently serving the 'sentence', which, according to the letter, should be done July 2018.
Koodo Mobile
Dec 19, 2017
2 posts
Thanks for telling me these information.
I am currently studying as a third year and really worried.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Well, potential PHD student, maybe it is time to think about getting a line of credit.

At the end of the day OSAP is a loan.
Sep 2, 2015
120 posts
26 upvotes
East York, ON
phds already pay money, osap is nice but not really required if you don't mind living in a basement cubicle for the duration.
Aug 26, 2011
574 posts
400 upvotes
Definitely tell them you made a mistake and then report your real income. You should be fine down the road but worst case is they ask you to repay how much they overfunded you. You'll have to pay that upfront if you wish to get OSAP in the future.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
MadmanKillEmAll wrote: Definitely tell them you made a mistake and then report your real income. You should be fine down the road but worst case is they ask you to repay how much they overfunded you. You'll have to pay that upfront if you wish to get OSAP in the future.
I as a, past student, had been very forgiving to OSAP for information they have lost. The news article I read in the past is they lost some database in a mass because of some a single employee error. If you borrowed money, please return as soon as you can. You know what you borrowed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8511 posts
6255 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: Well, potential PHD student, maybe it is time to think about getting a line of credit.

At the end of the day OSAP is a loan.
Why not getting both. LOC you have to pay interest while OSAP you can postpone till school is done. There are also grants come with OSAP
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
mkl38s wrote: Why not getting both. LOC you have to pay interest while OSAP you can postpone till school is done. There are also grants come with OSAP
Some people have a hard time managing their finances. More money means more work. Depending on who you are it might not be "make your money work for you" instead "the money is making me work".
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
Said212 wrote: Processing the income verification took between 4-6 weeks. Your Financial Aid office will also know if they've processed and/or received any documentation.

The restriction has NOT been removed from my account. I am currently serving the 'sentence', which, according to the letter, should be done July 2018.
did ur restriction get lifted? I just finished my "sentence" and paid off the variance, still waiting on restriction to be removed...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
Nexzen wrote: did ur restriction get lifted? I just finished my "sentence" and paid off the variance, still waiting on restriction to be removed...
All good here!

If you've finished your sentence AND paid off the variance, definitely let a financial aid officer at your school know! Sadly...I don't think the restriction removal is processed automatically. There needs to be a back and forth between the school you're at and the Ministry. This is good news, though! I think you can apply still apply to OSAP for 2018/2019 academic year.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
Said212 wrote: All good here!

If you've finished your sentence AND paid off the variance, definitely let a financial aid officer at your school know! Sadly...I don't think the restriction removal is processed automatically. There needs to be a back and forth between the school you're at and the Ministry. This is good news, though! I think you can apply still apply to OSAP for 2018/2019 academic year.
Thanks for the update! gives me hope lol I'll keep at it with the financial aid office til it's cleared