Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
1042 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
canadianmom wrote: Have a phone call into financial aid office but it says could take up to 3 business days for return phone call so I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has any thought or ideas about this...
DD OSAP loan was to be aprox $4000.00 (according to website and letter recieved July 28) Also to recieve $1500.00 commuting Grant
Today recieved letter stating that changes have been made to her file and that OSAP amount is now $0. Still recieving the commuting grant.
Checked status on website and it still has the original $4000.00 listed :confused:
We have no idea what those changes could be! We were completly honest with application so its not like they found something we were trying to hide.
Anyone have any idea as to what could be going on??
This happened to me as well, received a notice of reassessment yesterday. I am receiving QEII, which I guess is the reason why from CSK'sMom post, but it covers just about half of my tuition and I still needa pay for transportation/books/etc. I'm gonna go to my fin aid office tomorrow to see what they say.. this sucks :(
Jun 30, 2008
108 posts
Ontario
Mansech wrote: This happened to me as well, received a notice of reassessment yesterday. I am receiving QEII, which I guess is the reason why from CSK'sMom post, but it covers just about half of my tuition and I still needa pay for transportation/books/etc. I'm gonna go to my fin aid office tomorrow to see what they say.. this sucks :(
Can I ask how you know your recieving QEII? Is it showing on the OSAP website?
Jun 30, 2008
108 posts
Ontario
CSK'sMom wrote: This kid worked his butt off to graduate near the top of his class with well over a 90% average, an Ontario Scholar (min. over 80% average in 11 & 12)
Same with my DD. They certainly deserve something for all that hard work. No return call here yet> :( Will post when I find out whats going on
Sep 18, 2008
353 posts
1 upvote
i also have not received any grants either yet.im assuming something may be wrong , but i am hoping for the best.i still have the estimated amount that osap calc calculated , which was the max .i questioned it from day 1 as the calculator stated i would receive 60-70% of the amount needed , but instead was shocked to see the full 100% amount needed. the only thing i could think of that would possibly bring into question would be i put it would cost 12 bucks a day to take the bus back and forth. 2.75 for ttc , 3.25 for a viva / yrt bus .still waiting to see my grants ~_~.
Dec 14, 2007
239 posts
4 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Trying to plan ahead - does anybody know what the NSLSC is using as a definition of resident of Canada? The old interest relief criteria said reside in Canada but the RAP doesn't, it says 'resident of Canada' Is resident for the RAP the same as resident for tax purposes? I ask because I think that teaching overseas for a school year may be my best bet to be able to pay back loans - but I wouldn't be able to make the payments without the RAP.

Also, I checked out the websites but I couldn't figure out if Ontario is going to be going with the RAP, or will it be interest relief and debt reduction for the provincial portion and RAP for the federal portion?
Jan 18, 2009
87 posts
Toronto, downtown
I've made a mistake while filling out the OSAP form. For the "other income" section on the form, can I highlight it and add the amount myself? Or does it have to be done by someone in the financial aid office?

hope someone can answer this.
Dec 14, 2007
239 posts
4 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Hsurreality wrote: I've made a mistake while filling out the OSAP form. For the "other income" section on the form, can I highlight it and add the amount myself? Or does it have to be done by someone in the financial aid office?

hope someone can answer this.
I assume that you made the mistake after you submitted your form, in which case it does need to be corrected by your financial aid office and they may require documentation.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
2218 posts
2093 upvotes
Toronto
well, my school received the forms and outlined how I'm gonna get my $11K.

I'm still shocked at how much they give you once you become independent....should I expect to qualify for many bursaries too when I apply?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2046 posts
309 upvotes
kajan23 wrote: If I can get a letter from my faculty stating i will return to school in 2010, and make it an internship kind of deal. Would that save me? I used the new RAP calculator and it says i will only have to pay $279 a month from january to april. The 6 months interest will just be added to my total loan amount in december. So I only have to start paying in janurary of 2010.
nope, that will not save you
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2046 posts
309 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: Grrr! Hubby just got off the phone with our one kid's FinAid office. The drop in his processed assessment is the QEII. He's getting $2966 which is more than his tuition. It dropped his total assessment a total of $354. As for not a single grant showing it's a royal fup. The woman in the FinAid office is trying to tell us it's because we filled out his application with his permanent address being at home and his mailing address the same. She says we should have filled out the app with his mailing address being in Timmins. Now how the hell were we supposed to do that when we didn't even find out that he got into rez till a couple of weeks ago. :confused: She's saying he's going to have to go into her office once school starts and do a crap load of paperwork and then *maybe* he will get the grants he's entitled to (both the OAC for 1st yr and CAC for low income). I know fr a friggin' fact that he qualifies for both as his older brother got both and they are family income based only. I am furious at this point and it's not helping that the school is 10 hrs from here.

BBQ, what do you think of this permanent address/mailing address thing? I am baffled as we did fill out the app. that he would be living away from home during his study period.
This is surprising to me because i never once used my school address and everything went fine. I did what you did, just say im living away from home.

Call the NSLSC directly, ask the call to be escalated if you have to get to some clear answers. I wouldn't just accept what financial aid says
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2046 posts
309 upvotes
Professor Iris wrote: Trying to plan ahead - does anybody know what the NSLSC is using as a definition of resident of Canada? The old interest relief criteria said reside in Canada but the RAP doesn't, it says 'resident of Canada' Is resident for the RAP the same as resident for tax purposes? I ask because I think that teaching overseas for a school year may be my best bet to be able to pay back loans - but I wouldn't be able to make the payments without the RAP.

Also, I checked out the websites but I couldn't figure out if Ontario is going to be going with the RAP, or will it be interest relief and debt reduction for the provincial portion and RAP for the federal portion?
not in country = no RAP
May 11, 2009
169 posts
5 upvotes
Question about the QEII scholarship. I checked my OSAP status and it said that I am not eligible for this scholarship? Can I appeal it? I did graduate in 2009 at the top of my graduating class, even received the Governor General's award. But am I disqualified since I went to adult day school instead of a regular high school? It didn't say anything about that on the OSAP website though. Seems rather unfair since I worked very hard to achieve my average.
Jun 30, 2008
108 posts
Ontario
CSK'sMom wrote: It does specifically say you had to attend a regular highschool, sorry. Those who do a victory lap (12B) are also disqualified as well. The QEII is the only OSAP program that is so tightly rule bound as it's grade based where every other grant is financial need based.
My DD did the "victory lap" and recieved the full $3500. from QEII. When reading on the site it states must of graduated in 2009 but on the actual OSAP application it says "must of attended a high school" in 2009

CSK'sMom my DD spoke with finacial aid office today and she was told that OSAP website is experiencing many "glitches"and to ignore the recent letter she recieved about getting $0 for OSAP--she would be recieving another one shortly. She was also told about the QEII but I see it now has it online.
Hopefully your son's situation is one of those "glitches" and it gets straightened out soon!
May 11, 2009
169 posts
5 upvotes
canadianmom wrote: My DD did the "victory lap" and recieved the full $3500. from QEII. When reading on the site it states must of graduated in 2009 but on the actual OSAP application it says "must of attended a high school" in 2009
If that is the case, who can I speak to to ask for more information or to have this appealed? If OSAP allows a high school graduate like canadianmom's daughter to upgrade her mark and then apply for this scholarship, I don't see why I am not qualified? Please help.
Jun 30, 2008
108 posts
Ontario
SherryBerry wrote: If that is the case, who can I speak to to ask for more information or to have this appealed? If OSAP allows a high school graduate like canadianmom's daughter to upgrade her mark and then apply for this scholarship, I don't see why I am not qualified? Please help.
My daughter didn't repeat any classes to upgrade her marks. All classes she took last year was the first time taking them and she did a Co-op. Not sure if that would make a difference or not?
But did find this info about appealing the decision on the OSAP website for you:
Review Deadline
If you are not a successful candidate and you would like to request a review, your request for a review must be received at your financial aid office by November 13, 2009. Reviews related to missing the program's deadlines will not be considered.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
5 upvotes
i successfully applied for a tuition fee deferral at uoft. does that mean when i sign the osap documents, the loan/grant automatically goes to the student account, and send the remaining (if any) balance to my bank account?
Aug 9, 2009
20 posts
on
SherryBerry wrote: Question about the QEII scholarship. I checked my OSAP status and it said that I am not eligible for this scholarship? Can I appeal it? I did graduate in 2009 at the top of my graduating class, even received the Governor General's award. But am I disqualified since I went to adult day school instead of a regular high school? It didn't say anything about that on the OSAP website though. Seems rather unfair since I worked very hard to achieve my average.
checked OSAP status and it said that not eligible for this scholarship?so far my daughter meet all the requirments even recived a merit award but she study in offshore canadian ontario school approved by the education ministry.anyone know what is the resoan?
Dec 19, 2008
8 posts
Toronto
Well this sucks. I timed out and my entire post disappeared!

Anyways, hello!

I'm twenty one and heading to first year university. I've applied to OSAP and I'm going to receive approx. 8200 for the school year. My mom lives within 40km of the school distance which means OSAP believes I live with her. That however is not the case.

I've moved out since last May. I've been working and made approx. 20k (of course it went towards my living expenses). My course selection is coming soon and I'm going to pick up OSAP on Sept 1st. I've called and spoken with my financial aid's office in person in regards to an appeal. They told me when I pick up the OSAP I can make an appeal however it will not be processed until two to three weeks later! Is this a normal procedure? (A month into school year with no idea if I even get an approved appeal is completely nerve wrecking especially when living on your own with no other financial aid elsewhere!) No other information was provided to me until recently. I know for an appeal I need proof of rent (my lease, rent receipts) and proof of transportation (my monthly metropasses). Is there anything else I need? Apparently when I go to the office in Sept is when they'll provide me more information (I would prefer to be prepared beforehand).

Also I know if I am to work during the school year while on OSAP there is a maximum of 15 hours to work. Is this correct? My job after taxes and benefit deductions will pay me about $766 monthly. My rent alone is $775, metropass is $96, phone bill is $50 and I usually budget for food at about $200 a grand total of $1121 per month. Clearly going to school and can only work 15 hours means I'm not making enough. I cannot ask my mother for help and my father lives in BC divorced since I was a baby.

Please if someone has had experience with OSAP and appeals, and/or experienced similar situations advise me of what I can do. What else do I need for an appeal if I'm missing any? Any tips is greatly appreciated!

Thank you and I appologize for the long post!
nonilla :confused:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)