Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Jul 6, 2019
66 posts
10 upvotes
I have a question regarding the grant, it says I don’t pay it back if I continue and finish school. It also says it could change, has anyone who received osap and finished their program have to pay the grant? Or just the loan? Also I want to start looking for a job during the times I don’t have classes. Would this affect my osap, in terms of funding?
Dec 8, 2015
27 posts
1 upvote
East York, ON
For the most part, unless some of your grant portion has been converted into a loan, you don't have to pay back the grants. You can go onto the nslsc to find out roughly how much has to be paid back from start to present.

As for working while studying, it will most definetly affect how much you receive from osap.
Jul 6, 2019
66 posts
10 upvotes
XiaoYao wrote: For the most part, unless some of your grant portion has been converted into a loan, you don't have to pay back the grants. You can go onto the nslsc to find out roughly how much has to be paid back from start to present.

As for working while studying, it will most definetly affect how much you receive from osap.
Oh okay, thank you!
Jul 6, 2019
66 posts
10 upvotes
Was thinking since it’s my first time getting osap the loan will be interest free automatically until the end of the first year, right? Not first semester? When I return the following year, I should have that interest free form filled out 21 days before end of my second semester?
Feb 3, 2020
1 posts
I’m not sure if anyone has ever experienced this but...

I was originally in school 18 years ago and I went back this year.
I signed my MFSAA info and they sent the money to my account from 20 years ago. An account closed over 5 years ago.
They said it was the info I had input, which is absolutely impossible because who has that banking info on hand after 5 years ago. Even my sign in my partner is my current bank!

So they said I have to wait until TD send back the funds and then wait while they send the money via cheque and they will not send it into my actual bank account. Which could take up to an additional month. No book money, no monthly finance money and I have kids. The school got their money right away of course!

I’m at a loss.
Feb 12, 2020
10 posts
Hi guys . I just have a few questions regarding osap . Does osap sees if you e-transfer money to your parents? I withdraw the money from a third party company for tsfa worth 4k and that transferred to my chequing account. That 4k money is not even mine. My mom use my name to open a
tfsa account and when i read some of the review that tfsa might affect your application in osap, i immediately talk to my mom about stopping tfsa contributions and liquidate it instead. My real concern is does osap going to see that i transfered money from my chequing to my mom,'s bank account via etransfer? Im applying for osap for September 2020 and im applying as common-law with child. I recently quit my job because of life circumstances and its only my partner whos working. Please no judgments
Feb 12, 2020
2 posts
Wondering how long it will take to complete osap process in 2020......
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1175 posts
639 upvotes
KarenMaeP30873 wrote: Hi guys . I just have a few questions regarding osap . Does osap sees if you e-transfer money to your parents? I withdraw the money from a third party company for tsfa worth 4k and that transferred to my chequing account. That 4k money is not even mine. My mom use my name to open a
tfsa account and when i read some of the review that tfsa might affect your application in osap, i immediately talk to my mom about stopping tfsa contributions and liquidate it instead. My real concern is does osap going to see that i transfered money from my chequing to my mom,'s bank account via etransfer? Im applying for osap for September 2020 and im applying as common-law with child. I recently quit my job because of life circumstances and its only my partner whos working. Please no judgments
as common law, your partner's income determines the amount of Osap
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone
Feb 12, 2020
10 posts
SignedA wrote: as common law, your partner's income determines the amount of Osap

That means i dont have to include my parents income at all right?
Feb 12, 2020
10 posts
SamyMike wrote: Wondering how long it will take to complete osap process in 2020......
Im thinking the same thing too. Although i applied back in 2016-2017 , got the fundings before school starts. But who knows this time. Hopefully application run smoothly this year
Jun 11, 2009
347 posts
Can I work full-time while on OSAP? A friend told them there is a limit how much I could work while on OSAP.

I work night-shifts and plan on attending full-time at Seneca for CTY.

I've already applied for OSAP and will be receiving around 5200 once my college confirms my enrollment.
The application did not ask for my employment status, just my gross income.
Feb 12, 2020
10 posts
lanken123 wrote: Can I work full-time while on OSAP? A friend told them there is a limit how much I could work while on OSAP.

I work night-shifts and plan on attending full-time at Seneca for CTY.

I've already applied for OSAP and will be receiving around 5200 once my college confirms my enrollment.
The application did not ask for my employment status, just my gross income.
When i was in college back in 2016-2017, there was a point in my osap application where they ask u how much u made in specific dates (sept-jan, jan-april) . I dnt remember exactly how the process works , but i guess I'll figure out when i apply this coming june ..
Feb 12, 2020
10 posts
Hello. I just want to ask if you are still eligible for osap if you dont have taxes to file because of no employment/job, .
I have a 15 month old son and common law with my partner.
Common-law works full time .

I am going back to college this September 2020 and got my offer already, im just wondering if im eligible for osap funds. Im really depending on osap for September 2020.
Feb 24, 2012
208 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure how to answer the osap question "do you live with your parents". I am an older student at 27 and yes i live with my sister and dad who each own half the house. Would i check this yes or no
Jul 26, 2020
1 posts
Hi,

When I entered zero assets into the OSAP estimator, it estimated a $5,800 grant and a $5,800 loan.
When I ran it again and entered 40K in assets, the estimation did not change.
Then I got curious and tried entering half a million in assets and still the estimation did not change.

Can anyone please explain how the assets affect the outcome?

Thank you!

(Note: parental information was not entered so only the federal part was assessed)