Students

Locked: OSAP tips/advice/questions (Old)

Sep 13, 2008
308 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
BBQPorkBun wrote: How do you know this is a him? must be the sarcasm in the tone.

tell your dad to keep the money for you, spare yourself the hassle. if you don't prefer that, then create a joint account at another bank. then they can't prove the money is yours.
Lol, well.. my bad for presumptions.

Thanks for your quick reply :) .He has already sent the money, what if I send it back, would they check my history and ask "where did this money go? ".

Might be a really stupid question, and forgive me for asking this, I don't mean to suggest that your supposed to know everything. Just gave it a shot.

Thnx tho :)
Jun 30, 2008
108 posts
Ontario
Sorry if this has been asked before but there are just too many pages to be going through to find out. OSAP site says application available mid May...any idea when it will be available? Its the 23rd and still not there. First time doing this...my DD waiting to apply.
Thanks for any info
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
979 upvotes
Niagara Falls
canadianmom wrote: Sorry if this has been asked before but there are just too many pages to be going through to find out. OSAP site says application available mid May...any idea when it will be available? Its the 23rd and still not there. First time doing this...my DD waiting to apply.
Thanks for any info
It's expected to be available late this year due to all the changes in student aid in the federal budget. I've heard that it could be a couple of more weeks (maybe longer) before it's available. Unfortunately the aid estimator is also not updated for the same reason. The estimator on the www.canlearn.ca is online at the moment but may not be very accurate due to the changes...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2012 posts
260 upvotes
PoRco wrote: Lol, well.. my bad for presumptions.

Thanks for your quick reply :) .He has already sent the money, what if I send it back, would they check my history and ask "where did this money go? ".

Might be a really stupid question, and forgive me for asking this, I don't mean to suggest that your supposed to know everything. Just gave it a shot.

Thnx tho :)
oh no no, don't worry, i was just teasing

yeah, send it back, if anything just say you were helping him with some money transfering, they can't prove otherwise.
It is said that the reason why leaves fall from the branch, is to allow new leaves to take their place. No matter how sad the fallen leaves look, there will always be new sprouts in the spring. Perhaps emptiness in the heart is something like that.
Jun 30, 2008
108 posts
Ontario
CSK'sMom wrote: It's expected to be available late this year due to all the changes in student aid in the federal budget. I've heard that it could be a couple of more weeks (maybe longer) before it's available. Unfortunately the aid estimator is also not updated for the same reason. The estimator on the www.canlearn.ca is online at the moment but may not be very accurate due to the changes...

Thank you
Jul 7, 2008
10 posts
HI BBQ,

I was wondering if you could answer this question. I have been accepted into a new Masters program that will start this July. The program only got approved this April so it is really new. I called the financial aid department at the university and they told me that it could take several months for the paper work to go through because it is a new program. She also said that last time it took 6 months (she said that was an unusual case). When I asked if it did take that long to process, if i would get the money for the previous months and she said she didnt know. Do you have any experience with this? The program starts in July but I could possibly move it to September, would that be a better thing to do? I need the money to help pay for tuition and rent.

Any advice?
Dec 14, 2007
239 posts
4 upvotes
Thunder Bay
BeckyH2008 wrote: HI BBQ,

I was wondering if you could answer this question. I have been accepted into a new Masters program that will start this July. The program only got approved this April so it is really new. I called the financial aid department at the university and they told me that it could take several months for the paper work to go through because it is a new program. She also said that last time it took 6 months (she said that was an unusual case). When I asked if it did take that long to process, if i would get the money for the previous months and she said she didnt know. Do you have any experience with this? The program starts in July but I could possibly move it to September, would that be a better thing to do? I need the money to help pay for tuition and rent.

Any advice?
A friend had this problem last year. She talked to the people running it and they registered in a different program so that would be registered in time. It might be something to look into.
Jul 7, 2008
10 posts
Professor Iris wrote: A friend had this problem last year. She talked to the people running it and they registered in a different program so that would be registered in time. It might be something to look into.

Can you explain what you mean by that exactly. Did you mean that the financial aid department at the university placed them under another program that was already approved so they could get their money?
Dec 14, 2007
239 posts
4 upvotes
Thunder Bay
BeckyH2008 wrote: Can you explain what you mean by that exactly. Did you mean that the financial aid department at the university placed them under another program that was already approved so they could get their money?
It wasn't the financial aid department, it was the professors running the program, it was done for osap and due to university regulations because of timelines of program approval and of registration in the program. So it went through the registrars office. I would try talking to financial aid, registrar, and the program heads to see if you can be technically in a different program to get your money to pay tuition, and then just transfer into yours when everything in set up. As I said, it didn't happen to me, so I'm sure of the technical details.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2012 posts
260 upvotes

Any advice?
when you say last time it took 6 months, what do u mean? it being a new program and something done 'last time' is contradicting

yes, you get money for the whole program no matter when you apply, even if from sept to april, you apply in nov, you still get money as if you applied in august.

this is really a cashflow issue, you have several options

1) go to financial aid and ask for payment deferrals or a payment schedule/plan, this will help, with it being special circumstances as you say, you may have leverage to negotiate this

2) borrow from family

3) line of credit - apply for this before you actually need it. the best time to apply for credit is when you don't need it.

you'll have the easiest time probably with number 1, try to work something out with them
It is said that the reason why leaves fall from the branch, is to allow new leaves to take their place. No matter how sad the fallen leaves look, there will always be new sprouts in the spring. Perhaps emptiness in the heart is something like that.
Jul 7, 2008
10 posts
BBQPorkBun wrote: when you say last time it took 6 months, what do u mean? it being a new program and something done 'last time' is contradicting

yes, you get money for the whole program no matter when you apply, even if from sept to april, you apply in nov, you still get money as if you applied in august.

this is really a cashflow issue, you have several options

1) go to financial aid and ask for payment deferrals or a payment schedule/plan, this will help, with it being special circumstances as you say, you may have leverage to negotiate this

2) borrow from family

3) line of credit - apply for this before you actually need it. the best time to apply for credit is when you don't need it.

you'll have the easiest time probably with number 1, try to work something out with them

HI BBQ,

sorry what i meant, which i should have been more clear on, is that last year when there was another new problem-it took them 6 months for everything to be approved before people got their money. When I asked the lady at the financial aid office if that means lets say the paper work doesnt get done till February, if I would still get the amount from July-Feb given to me, she said she didnt know. I know that even if you apply in November, you get the full amount from september but does it matter if its a new program and hasnt been approved yet?

Thanks for answering the question and giving some tips. I am contact the school now regarding payment options.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2012 posts
260 upvotes

sorry what i meant, which i should have been more clear on, is that last year when there was another new problem-it took them 6 months for everything to be approved before people got their money. When I asked the lady at the financial aid office if that means lets say the paper work doesnt get done till February, if I would still get the amount from July-Feb given to me, she said she didnt know. I know that even if you apply in November, you get the full amount from september but does it matter if its a new program and hasnt been approved yet?

Thanks for answering the question and giving some tips. I am contact the school now regarding payment options.
so is it approved yet or not? in your initial post you said it just got approved in april. confusing...

if its been approved, then its your school's job to let osap know this is a program at your school. so this depends on how fast your school does that, once thats done, shouldn't be an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6226 posts
690 upvotes
Just thought I'd chime in and say that the 2009-2010 OSAP application is now live.
Jun 30, 2008
108 posts
Ontario
Octavius wrote: Just thought I'd chime in and say that the 2009-2010 OSAP application is now live.
Thank you!
Jan 27, 2008
643 posts
24 upvotes
When you graduate, is it possible to pay off all the debt before the 6 month interest free period ends? either in series or lump sum.
May 25, 2009
1 posts
hi
my sister needs a co-signer for mortgage and i'm the only person eligible...but i rely on OSAP funding for school....would my being a co-signer affect my funding?
thanks
Jul 2, 2008
81 posts
2 upvotes
Oshawa
I just finished submitting my application and was greeted by a big fat ZERO for the estimator on the application... I don't mean the calculator that is on the website but the last page of the application itself.

Is this a glitch? Did anyone else get that number as well?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2012 posts
260 upvotes
206bw wrote: When you graduate, is it possible to pay off all the debt before the 6 month interest free period ends? either in series or lump sum.
yes, you can pay it whenever you want, but i hope you are refering to interest relief and not the grace period. grace period always accumulates interest.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2012 posts
260 upvotes
illy27 wrote: hi
my sister needs a co-signer for mortgage and i'm the only person eligible...but i rely on OSAP funding for school....would my being a co-signer affect my funding?
thanks
if a question is asked on the application about something like that, then yes it will

also you should look into if doing that affects your credit record in any way, just to be safe
Mar 24, 2009
10 posts
EchoedMemory wrote: I just finished submitting my application and was greeted by a big fat ZERO for the estimator on the application... I don't mean the calculator that is on the website but the last page of the application itself.

Is this a glitch? Did anyone else get that number as well?
I just finished my app and everything came out fine. At the end of the app it estimated my funding to something appropriate. No big zero for me. Sorry Bud - maybe you don't qualify :(
"You and me were never here; you and me were not quite clear. . .. We died a long, long time ago. Don't think - just come along, an' I do believe that it won't be long.. . Everything's open all day an' all night anyways." - Matt Good