Students

Locked: OSAP tips/advice/questions (Old)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2012 posts
260 upvotes
robman_rob wrote: 2 years ago i got approved and loaned $X from osap, and it was recorded that I am to pay all of $X back.

Last week i got a letter saying my loan has been reassessed to Y=X-$2000.

Coupled with that letter was another letter saying that I have been approved for ontario student opportunity grant (osog), but the grant was based on the reassessed figure Y instead of the actual loan amount I have to pay back, X.

So to my biased eyes I have been screwed out of $2k (i was expecting osog to be $2k more so I have to pay back $2k less). I don't see how this is fair, the government could reassess everyone after they recieve their loans, and never give out any osogs. If I have gotten $Y in the first place then I wouldn't complain, but now I have to give back $2k more.

anyway I can argue my way to get that $2k back?

Thanks.
nope
It is said that the reason why leaves fall from the branch, is to allow new leaves to take their place. No matter how sad the fallen leaves look, there will always be new sprouts in the spring. Perhaps emptiness in the heart is something like that.
Jul 6, 2009
2 posts
rocklee389 wrote: lulu i have a similar thing but I dont know if its the same. They emailed me
Dear OSAP Student
A change has been made to your 2009-2010 OSAP application.
You should go to the OSAP website, at http://osap.gov.on.ca
and click on "Check Status" to find the latest information
about the status of your application, including any changes
to your funding.

So i went to check.. now there is a funding summary chart.. but it is blank

Your application has been received and OSAP funding calculated.
Your OSAP funding will not be released until the items under "Checklist" are completed

So i guess i have to provide supporting documentation and complete a confirmation of enrolment form?

But the confirmation of enrolment form I can only sign when i get to school cause its at the office there..

So will my "estimate" be my funding? If i get a much lower amount when school starts im doomed
My funding was actually $500 less than my estimate.
Do provide them with all the supporting documentations that they ask for ASAP... government likes to take their time sometimes (heard that from a lady I work with who used to work for the government)
Also, I call the financial aid office at my institution a lot (well like 3 times since I submitted my application)... :cheesygri especially when I'm not sure what's going on with my application.
Jul 2, 2009
18 posts
cool thanks guys.. i dunno why but i told them to mailed the forms to me and then ill mail them back.. haha i am still waiting for them but thx for the replies
Banned
Jun 27, 2009
14 posts
what are the osap bursaries based on? income? assets? I can't seem to find any information on how they're given out.

thanks in advance
Jul 2, 2009
18 posts
these numbers! I am a little confused ! can anyone explain

canada ontario integrated student loan : $8680
2nd year students :$2482
middle income families :$744

see i guess i do kinda get it haha.. i get those numbers right..
and OSOG estimate :$1680 <<what is this?
Dec 14, 2007
239 posts
4 upvotes
Thunder Bay
rocklee389 wrote: these numbers! I am a little confused ! can anyone explain

canada ontario integrated student loan : $8680
2nd year students :$2482
middle income families :$744

see i guess i do kinda get it haha.. i get those numbers right..
and OSOG estimate :$1680 <<what is this?
OSOG is an acronym I don't remember, but you can look it up on the osap site. I do remember what it functionally is though. Basically anything over $7000 per year you don't have to pay back, OSOGs pays that for you, loan= $8680-$7000 = $1680 OSOGs. They do check your income later and OSOGs isn't applied to your loan until after that. Doesn't really affect you until you are paying back already because at that point it may look like you owe more than you actually do as the OSOGs hasn't been applied yet necessarily.
Jul 2, 2009
18 posts
CSK'sMom wrote: The $8680 is your funding amount. It then gets broken down to $2482 of the $8640 is the Ontario Access Grant for 2nd year students and $744 of it is the middle income grant. The OSOG is the Ontario Student Opportunity Grant. That grant means that you'll never have to pay back more than $7000 per 2 term school year. Ontario will pay it directly to your loans to reduce it to $7k.
oo i so 2482 is OF the 8640? I thought 8640 is the loan.. 2482 and 744 are grants.. so it would come up to a total of 11866
Jul 2, 2009
18 posts
opps..11906..< $6 over maximum o_O
Jul 2, 2009
18 posts
=] thanks for all the advice.. im a second year.. I had resp first year so I didnt need osap.. but from now on I do! I didn't apply for the queen one.. imcheck it out
Jun 28, 2009
36 posts
Toronto
Just another question, in case I'm not able to get OSAP loans, could I still get grants from OSAP (government)? I understand that we have until the 17th of July to apply to get the QE2 scholarship, and there's another grant for students with parents who have low income (my case).
Jun 28, 2009
36 posts
Toronto
Alright, what happens if I don't hand in the declaration pages before the 17th? I won't get OSAP? Because from what I understand, you can apply for OSAP until 45 days into the school year if it's a full-time course.

Also, even though I might not get the QE2, in case I'm not able to get OSAP loans, could I still get grants from OSAP, like the grant for low income families (applies to me)?
Mar 3, 2008
301 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
So I should be automatically notified if I am eligible for the Low-Income grant when my OSAP is accepted, correct?

Is there another application I should know about? I read on the canlearn.ca site (thanks for the info) that it should be automatically processed by your province financial office (OSAP.) Just want to confirm.

Thank you for all the info.

- SaNTi
Mar 3, 2008
301 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome. Thanks! :razz:
Jun 28, 2009
36 posts
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote: Declaration pages only have to be handed in by July 17th if and only if you applied for the QE Scholarship. If you didn't apply for it there is no hard deadline for declaration pages or supporting documentation. They just won't release your loan papers until they are in and processed. Just so that you're aware though, by not applying by the deadline you gave up up to $3500/yr that is renewable for 4 years. :-0 As for the low income grant, you must qualify for federal student loan to qualify for the grant. As per the OSAP page...

The family income tables are on the www.canlearn.ca website and are broken down for both the low income and middle income grants and family size.
That cleared that up. Just one more question, say that I sent my declaration pages after the 17th, or I don't get any OSAP loans this year, I could still get the QE2 if I apply next year? Or is it only awarded to first year students?
May 13, 2009
114 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I'm receiving $6454 in Student Loans and $1919 for low income families.

But...no Ontario Access Grants (I'm a first-year student)

Should I contact my university? Did this happen to any of you guys?
Nov 27, 2006
54 posts
hey, I finished my third year of university and have been getting osap as a dependent student all these years. However, I am taking this year off for an internship. My question, when I apply for OSAP after my internship, I will have been out of high school for four years, does that qualify my application as an independent student? if so, how do I go about changing the status?

I appreciate your response, thanks in advance!
Jul 17, 2009
1 posts
here is a different question: i have been getting osap for the last 2 years and have been living with my parents, what i decide to leave my parents house to go on rez, will i get more osap for that? one of my parents is threatening me to stop supporting my osap, do i need their support to necessarily get osap in the first place?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2012 posts
260 upvotes
parthc007 wrote: hey, I finished my third year of university and have been getting osap as a dependent student all these years. However, I am taking this year off for an internship. My question, when I apply for OSAP after my internship, I will have been out of high school for four years, does that qualify my application as an independent student? if so, how do I go about changing the status?

I appreciate your response, thanks in advance!
you pay tuition during your internship?
It is said that the reason why leaves fall from the branch, is to allow new leaves to take their place. No matter how sad the fallen leaves look, there will always be new sprouts in the spring. Perhaps emptiness in the heart is something like that.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1630 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
quick question.

I took OSAP in my first and second year of University. I am entering my 4th year now and would like to take OSAP again. I live with my parents, but I do not wish to disclose that I am taking OSAP with them.

Is there anyway to fill out the information needed to apply for OSAP, without submitting my parents income tax information?

I am not in need of that much as my job will probably pay my tuition, but I need just a little bit extra for miscellaneous expenses that will arise in the school year (cell phone bills, food, ttc, etc.)
Dec 31, 1969
BBQPorkBun wrote: you pay tuition during your internship?
If you take an internship position, you aren't a full time student anymore, so yeah... Interest starts kicking in the day you "leave" school.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)