• Jul 31st, 2020 4:34 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
217 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto

OSB Panel for Roof

i built a very small utility 'shed' - 6 feet high and 4 feet wide. Since it has a small sloped roof, I was thinking of just putting in a 4ft wide and 2ft deep OSB board for the roof - would this last if I painted it with appropriate exterior paint?

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1931 posts
1183 upvotes
Zebraman wrote: i built a very small utility 'shed' - 6 feet high and 4 feet wide. Since it has a small sloped roof, I was thinking of just putting in a 4ft wide and 2ft deep OSB board for the roof - would this last if I painted it with appropriate exterior paint?

Thanks
The paint will probably fail in 5 years.

Adding shingles on top of unpainted OSB will probably last 15-25 years.

You have invested so much time into your shed already, why skimp now?
Oct 21, 2009
469 posts
584 upvotes
Zebraman wrote: i built a very small utility 'shed' - 6 feet high and 4 feet wide. Since it has a small sloped roof, I was thinking of just putting in a 4ft wide and 2ft deep OSB board for the roof - would this last if I painted it with appropriate exterior paint?

Thanks
it would only last 3-5 years.
Look for a piece of metal roofing. Roofing contractors or metal roofing/siding stores may have left over pieces which they will sell for cheap. It may be $20-40 and will last a lifetime.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1500 posts
913 upvotes
ottawa
To echo what others have said I also have used the asphalt panels that are wavy like on top of a detached garage. Looked perfect 4 years later and was way easier than shingles. Only needed like 20 panels, you may only need four.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
217 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
thanks all! I ended up what was suggested and went to the Asphalt panel route! I got it the other day installed it easily and now it's all done! I don't know why I was thinking of just using an OSB board.

Cheers all
barqers wrote: To echo what others have said I also have used the asphalt panels that are wavy like on top of a detached garage. Looked perfect 4 years later and was way easier than shingles. Only needed like 20 panels, you may only need four.