• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 9:06 am
45 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
HD Homerun or Tablo, but you'll still have to run one Coax line to the back of the units, then these units spread the OTA signal to your WiFi system, by Ethernet port to Router - Router sends the signal to your Smart TV's / Smartphone / Tablet through the Tablo or HDHR app.

Again, OP stated that they were having problems with indoor antennas, they need to get proper reception before they shell out the money for OTA streamers.

Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1108 posts
730 upvotes
Canada
There no pratical or cheap to do this.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1401 posts
971 upvotes
Vancouver
Plex has a TV tuner option and can be used with a cheap USB TV tuner. TVheadend is another great option. Both can be easily setup on an rPi

Another option would be AndroidTV on an rPi, but the chipsets of supported TV tuners is very very limited
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
kramer1 wrote: Plex has a TV tuner option and can be used with a cheap USB TV tuner. TVheadend is another great option. Both can be easily setup on an rPi
He's still at least drilling one hole for RG6 to a TV or his streaming box...

My suggestion would be a good outdoor antenna on the eave, one entry point to the house then one entry to the room. Those dinky indoor antennas with very little Gain, don't do a good job of getting reliable signals and by putting an antenna in your attic vs outdoors, you are killing half your signal strength. UHF/VHF doesn't penetrate through structures that well at all.
Last edited by Gibsons on May 27th, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1401 posts
971 upvotes
Vancouver
Gibsons wrote: He's still at least drilling one hole for RG6 to a TV or his streaming box...

My suggestion would be a good outdoor antenna on the eave, one entry point to the house then one entry to the room.
That should be obvious. What do you want him to do? Just leave the antenna outside, unconnected to anything? Also why are you replying to me. Reply to the OP. I am just providing a suggestion to the OPs problem. Not here to argue with other users & members
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
kramer1 wrote: That should be obvious. What do you want him to do? Just leave the antenna outside, unconnected to anything? Also why are you replying to me. Reply to the OP. I am just providing a suggestion to the OPs problem. Not here to argue with other users & members
I wasn't but I think you are. But hey, that's RFD.

It's a discussion board, get a grip.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2564 posts
771 upvotes
Lévis
Just to clarify things. My idea is to get the signal from antenna to a transmitter, then connect a receiver to my TV. Of course there will be cable between antenna and transmitter and another one between reciver and TV, that's OK. That way I will avoid drilling holes and having cables along the walls and such.

Like I said, I want to improve reception by raising the antenna from 1st floor to attics.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Things get easier if the OP has smart TV's, if not, then it's just better to split the signal into each TV or get streaming sticks, etc. Tablo and HDHR have free apps. There are other devices that do the same thing, but these are the well known ones in Cord Cutting. HDHR has a model that gets ATSC 3.0 channels, but unless you are close to the US border, it won't help you. Also, hardware hasn't caught up to the 3.0 technology yet.

Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
SPARTACVS wrote: Just to clarify things. My idea is to get the signal from antenna to a transmitter, then connect a receiver to my TV. Of course there will be cable between antenna and transmitter and another one between reciver and TV, that's OK. That way I will avoid drilling holes and having cables along the walls and such.

Like I said, I want to improve reception by raising the antenna from 1st floor to attics.
This looks confusing, but it's not. The hard drive is optional if you want to record OTA content. This is Tablo's diagram but it's general to a box that's going to stream your OTA without hard wiring each TV with coax. Tablo has a streamer and one with hardwired HDMI and streaming. Depends what fits best. This diagram is assuming you have Smart TV's / Tablets / Smartphone or Streaming sticks capable of getting these apps, on your High Speed network.

I'd say you are going to have problems with that small antenna, you need something with some serious gain to work in your attic. I suggest not spending on gear until you know you have a strong signal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2564 posts
771 upvotes
Lévis
Gibsons wrote:
I'd say you are going to have problems with that small antenna, you need something with some serious gain to work in your attic. I suggest not spending on gear until you know you have a strong signal.
Well, the antenna is actually on the 1st floor. Placing it on the attic will change nothing...except it will be much higher. Getting 1-2 m more height seems not much but it makes a difference.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
SPARTACVS wrote: Well, the antenna is actually on the 1st floor. Placing it on the attic will change nothing...except it will be much higher. Getting 1-2 m more height seems not much but it makes a difference.
The difference is that a larger antenna has more gain, the one you are using would be around 2 db and the CM 4221 is 3.5 db and 10 db on the UHF (which is where most signals are) = signal gathering capability. So putting a tiny antenna like that will do very little. If you are within 15 miles of the transmitters, you might be able to get away with that, otherwise, I think you are going to have problems.

Bandwidth 174 to 216 and 470 to 700 MHz
VHF Gain 3.5dB
UHF Gain 10dB

And this antenna isn't that large, it's 36 x 25 x 5 inches or about 2 x 3 feet. If you really want to go cheap you can build your own antenna. Lots of YouTube videos on that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2564 posts
771 upvotes
Lévis
Gibsons wrote: The difference is that a larger antenna has more gain, ...
Oh I can always change the antenna later. Not sure it's worth it. Here's my tvfool analysis
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 0edaa4e21d
As you can see, it goes from W to NE. Everything is green, no yellow and only one red channel and I don't want to invest time and money just for that one.
TBH, I will most probably try an amplifier like this one
https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/WINEGARD-LNA ... N3R9O?th=1
I know it can change a lot or do nothing.

I do have a question:
do you know what's the impact of the lenght of the cable?
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
SPARTACVS wrote: Oh I can always change the antenna later. Not sure it's worth it. Here's my tvfool analysis
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 0edaa4e21d
As you can see, it goes from W to NE. Everything is green, no yellow and only one red channel and I don't want to invest time and money just for that one.
TBH, I will most probably try an amplifier like this one
https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/WINEGARD-LNA ... N3R9O?th=1
I know it can change a lot or do nothing.

I do have a question:
do you know what's the impact of the lenght of the cable?
I have to be honest with you... that TV Fool Analysis is terrible. You have 6 stations in the Green (local) and the rest is in the Red, 4 channels at 67-68 miles away. Considering that 70 miles is basically the most you can get reliably with an elevated and preamplified Large antenna, I don't think you should spend any more money on this. You are too far away unless most of the distance is across water or you are on top of a mountain. Your indoor antenna should get you those 6 stations.

You could basically put a large antenna on your roof with a preamp, spend about $400 on equipment and not get those fringe stations reliably. I think you should save your money.

Longer the cable run, more loss you get in the signal. Preamplifiers can negate long cable runs but do add some noise into the signal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2564 posts
771 upvotes
Lévis
Gibsons wrote: I have to be honest with you... that TV Fool Analysis is terrible. You have 6 stations in the Green (local) and the rest is in the Red, 4 channels at 67-68 miles away. Considering that 70 miles is basically the most you can get reliably with an elevated and preamplified Large antenna, I don't think you should spend any more money on this. You are too far away unless most of the distance is across water or you are on top of a mountain.

You could basically put a large antenna on your roof with a preamp, spend about $400 on equipment and not get those fringe stations reliably. I think you should save your money.
Yeah that's pretty much what I've said Winking Face
And the fact that there's ~120° between stations, I don't even think a bidirectional antenna is worth it.
I'm interested in placing the antenna in the attics to get better signal. Reception is average as of now.
I've tried the thin foil antenna on the window and it was oriented E so it wasn't good (plus it kept falling).

Reason I asked the question for the cable lenght is: if I place the antenna in the attic where the cable is gonna be (from 1st floor to attics), it's gonna be on the south part of the attic. So I wonder if it's better to have a shorter cable south part or a longer cable on the north part of the attic. My guess is shorter cable south part is the best or it won't change nothing.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you have a 15ft cable run vs a 30ft with RG6 coax, it won't make much of a difference. It's when you get 50 or 100ft plus, that you should start thinking about preamplifiers. But your antenna is so small, an amp can only amplify the signal that the antenna receives to counteract the long cable run.

You don't have a realistic chance getting anything besides the Green without a big outdoor antenna, you will probably get all 6 in the Green with a specific orientation of the current antenna. I get a station on the VHF that's oriented due South (15 miles away) when I have my antenna pointed NW. My antenna is outdoors of course.

I see there's one channel in the VHF in your TV fool printout, you could possibly get that if you go large with an antenna outdoors. Depends if you want to spend the money and possibly get those stations under 70 Miles away.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1108 posts
730 upvotes
Canada
SPARTACVS wrote: Yeah that's pretty much what I've said Winking Face
And the fact that there's ~120° between stations, I don't even think a bidirectional antenna is worth it.
I'm interested in placing the antenna in the attics to get better signal. Reception is average as of now.
I've tried the thin foil antenna on the window and it was oriented E so it wasn't good (plus it kept falling).

Reason I asked the question for the cable lenght is: if I place the antenna in the attic where the cable is gonna be (from 1st floor to attics), it's gonna be on the south part of the attic. So I wonder if it's better to have a shorter cable south part or a longer cable on the north part of the attic. My guess is shorter cable south part is the best or it won't change nothing.
Gibsons, has good knowledge, you should trust him.

Just a point to be sure, is your roof made of metal sheet ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2564 posts
771 upvotes
Lévis
elgros4 wrote: Gibsons, has good knowledge, you should trust him.

Just a point to be sure, is your roof made of metal sheet ?
Hum, anything makes you think I don't trust him? If so it's not the case.

No, not metal. Otherwise you would have suggest me to use it as a super antenna? Smiling Face With Sunglasses (don't worry I understand that your next comment would have been: bad idea in the attic then...).
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8427 posts
3006 upvotes
Maple
TVfools only gives you estimates, actual will be difference. My antenna is on roof of 2-story house but it gets less stations. It was installed by pro with pre-amp.

BTW Your antenna is so small, putting in attic won’t help you.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6816 posts
3801 upvotes
Mississauga
TV Fool can be hit or miss. In my specific case, it tells me I can’t get a certain channel based on my location and yet, here I am watching it anytime no problem.