• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 5:26 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8077 posts
2563 upvotes
These are things that confuse me. I have my antenna pointed about 200 degrees from my house toward Buffalo so I can get the US channels from there and the Canadian ones on the CN Tower. Usually the ones I have trouble with are 2.1, 7.1 and 29.1. They are usually only good at night, early mornings and 29.1 is really a rare thing.

The last couple days not only are all of them coming in fine all day, but 8.1, 10.1, and 31.1 from Rochester are also perfect all day. These are at 160 degrees and I am not even pointing at them.

I know it conditions dependent, but really what is different? Temps and clouds have been consistent for the last month, so why now?

My plan for spring, is to point on antenna around 160, and another around 200. See if I am able to gang them together. This will double my chances of getting the US networks on a given night as the big 4 broadcast out of both Rochester and Buffalo. While maintaining my Canadian channels.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1800 posts
516 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: These are things that confuse me. I have my antenna pointed about 200 degrees from my house toward Buffalo so I can get the US channels from there and the Canadian ones on the CN Tower. Usually the ones I have trouble with are 2.1, 7.1 and 29.1. They are usually only good at night, early mornings and 29.1 is really a rare thing.

The last couple days not only are all of them coming in fine all day, but 8.1, 10.1, and 31.1 from Rochester are also perfect all day. These are at 160 degrees and I am not even pointing at them.

I know it conditions dependent, but really what is different? Temps and clouds have been consistent for the last month, so why now?

My plan for spring, is to point on antenna around 160, and another around 200. See if I am able to gang them together. This will double my chances of getting the US networks on a given night as the big 4 broadcast out of both Rochester and Buffalo. While maintaining my Canadian channels.
Is there anything specific that you can only watch on those channels? (NBC, ABC and Fox). I watch Whose Line on 23.1 but most shows will be on one of the major Canadian channels anyway, so I pretty much don't tune in to the US channels anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8077 posts
2563 upvotes
notfromqc wrote: Is there anything specific that you can only watch on those channels? (NBC, ABC and Fox). I watch Whose Line on 23.1 but most shows will be on one of the major Canadian channels anyway, so I pretty much don't tune in to the US channels anymore.
ABC rebroadcasts are on CTV, but that is the exact opposite direction of everything else. So I would need an antenna just for that. It is easier I think just to focus on getting reliable US networks where I am. Most of the Canadian channels I don't watch. Only hockey on CBC.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8077 posts
2563 upvotes
Again, LOL. This is so confusing. After struggling all though Christmas with only my 20 solid channels, not even getting the odd balls at night. I noticed today 2.1 was solid. So I scanned.

First time hitting 60! However I still don't know what is so specific about today that makes conditions so good.

Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
11993 posts
3897 upvotes
Toronto
Tangentially related to the topic, I bought this $5 antenna in August but was so disappointed by the small box when it arrived I just thought live and learn

I finally tried it out (since it was already paid for) and it getting more channels than my unamplified Terk ever did

I can't believe I'm getting the Buffalo CBS affiliate and the Buffalo CW affiliate WNLO; also a few channels I never heard of (Laff? Bounce? Star Ray?)

Thirteen channels (about 5 more than me ole Terk-ey of an antenna..I think I got CITS briefly then lost it)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8077 posts
2563 upvotes
jenviea wrote: Tangentially related to the topic, I bought this $5 antenna in August but was so disappointed by the small box when it arrived I just thought live and learn

I finally tried it out (since it was already paid for) and it getting more channels than my unamplified Terk ever did

I can't believe I'm getting the Buffalo CBS affiliate and the Buffalo CW affiliate WNLO; also a few channels I never heard of (Laff? Bounce? Star Ray?)

Thirteen channels (about 5 more than me ole Terk-ey of an antenna..I think I got CITS briefly then lost it)
This is how the addiction started for me. Move that thing around the house and watch how much your channel reception changes. Once you determine the best directions to point an antenna, start looking into the outdoor ones. You don't even need a tower anymore. Just a small mount that can bolt to the house is fine.

That's how it started for me now I am just waiting for warm weather so I can try to set up a 2 antenna set up to get all channels from Buffalo, Rochester and Toronto all the time. Not just odd days like today.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20633 posts
21988 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: Again, LOL. This is so confusing. After struggling all though Christmas with only my 20 solid channels, not even getting the odd balls at night. I noticed today 2.1 was solid. So I scanned.

First time hitting 60! However I still don't know what is so specific about today that makes conditions so good.
that's incredible. where are you located?

I know in Los Angeles they get over 150(!) OTA channels. Blows my mind.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8077 posts
2563 upvotes
sprung wrote: that's incredible. where are you located?

I know in Los Angeles they get over 150(!) OTA channels. Blows my mind.
In Cobourg. I only have a small fishbone point led between Buffalo and Toronto. However on good days I get the Rochester channels too.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8077 posts
2563 upvotes
This is my potential setup for pulling in Rochester and Buffalo / Toronto at the same time reliabily.

Just not warm enough to set it up today.

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20882 posts
2238 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: Tangentially related to the topic, I bought this $5 antenna in August but was so disappointed by the small box when it arrived I just thought live and learn

hahah - I'm similar to you - bought some rinkdink RCA indoor folding antenna and was getting CW, Laff, Bounce etc - I think Laff and Bounce are SD but CW is HD....

I ended up paying for a roof mounted antenna and now also get ABC etc....about 25 - 30 channels - so awesome....

Located in Richmond Hill...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15611 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: I can't believe I'm getting the Buffalo CBS affiliate and the Buffalo CW affiliate WNLO; also a few channels I never heard of (Laff? Bounce? Star Ray?)
Laff and Bounce are in Buffalo, but Star Ray is actually @ Main & Danforth in Toronto.
They DO NOT have a CRTC broadcast licence. Illegal or not, they're in business with nothing to hide...
http://srtv.ca/location.html

Anyone in Toronto near Main Subway station, if you're going the antenna route, feel free to view Star Ray TV as you will...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8077 posts
2563 upvotes
Best scan ever tonight. Still a a single fishbone at 200 degrees.

Wish I could figure out what makes today so special. Last night only had 30, which was pretty much my constant all winter.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
5957 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
I live in Ottawa. I tried an antenna. I got Global and some French TV channels.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8077 posts
2563 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: 68 channels, lucky you. I only get six, seven on a good day.
68 is a anomaly. I just find it neat when it happens.

I have been averaging 28-40 all winter. This will be my first complete summer with an antenna setup, and I am intending to adjust it a lot, even add more antennas to get as much as possible as consistent as possible. I know there is 6 or so channels north of my I am completely missing now, that I may be able to pull in with another antenna.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

akito925