• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 7:00 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1888 posts
2114 upvotes
GTA
jenviea wrote: Last night around 10 pm I did a scan and got all the US networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW)

I rescanned for fun and got a record high of 36 channels

Sure enough this morning I'm back down to around 20 and only FOX network wise
Lol same thing happens to me, I could rescan daily and the channels will change daily. Some days I can't even get CBC to come in decently and others Buffalo comes in nicely.
Today is windy as heck so I wouldn't even bother to scan.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3293 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: Last night around 10 pm I did a scan and got all the US networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW)

What's the max amount of channels possible for Toronto.
Last week, adjusted the OTA 4 bay antenna (on the roof) for my parents.
It had been a couple of years since last adjusted, and I guess the wind slowly made it shift directions so that a few Bufallo stations barely worked.
Tried various different adjustments with no luck.
I did not realize you needed to rescan, and thought the station would tune in when aimed properly.
Once I did the rescan, they had more stations than ever before.
I did not actually count, as I am over a decade of not watching TV stations (so really out of the loop).
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3293 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: The chart at this site seems right but I'm no expert

http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/OTA ... to_GTA.asp
My parents house is Etobicoke, and the antenna is aimed south so to pickup Toronto and Buffalo.
Aiming for Hamilton would likely cause loss of majority/all Buffalo, and all Toronto.

Wonder if anyone has successfully installed multiple antennas and resolved frequency interference issues so as to be able to catch all directions from Toronto?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8111 posts
2594 upvotes
shikotee wrote: What's the max amount of channels possible for Toronto.
Last week, adjusted the OTA 4 bay antenna (on the roof) for my parents.
It had been a couple of years since last adjusted, and I guess the wind slowly made it shift directions so that a few Bufallo stations barely worked.
Tried various different adjustments with no luck.
I did not realize you needed to rescan, and thought the station would tune in when aimed properly.
Once I did the rescan, they had more stations than ever before.
I did not actually count, as I am over a decade of not watching TV stations (so really out of the loop).
I can get over 60 on good summer nights in Cobourg.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9394 posts
1536 upvotes
Victoria

I've seen that happen here in Victoria a few times. Were about 100km from Vancouver and 120km from Seattle. The topography has many hills/mountains in the way so it's pretty tough to get Vancouver/Seattle signals. Once and a while everything you wouldn't normally get will come in crystal clear.

If I understand it correctly, it's an atmospheric event... sometime causes the signal to bounce off the atmosphere and go back down. I think transmitters transmit straight out (and maybe up). Therefore the further away you are, the curve of the earth puts you below the signal making it hard to pick up. Bouncing off the atmosphere lets you pick up stations that are broken up due to obstructions or too far away to pick up.

I get envious of you Ontario folk. We don't get much OTA over here.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8111 posts
2594 upvotes
zod wrote: I've seen that happen here in Victoria a few times. Were about 100km from Vancouver and 120km from Seattle. The topography has many hills/mountains in the way so it's pretty tough to get Vancouver/Seattle signals. Once and a while everything you wouldn't normally get will come in crystal clear.

If I understand it correctly, it's an atmospheric event... sometime causes the signal to bounce off the atmosphere and go back down. I think transmitters transmit straight out (and maybe up). Therefore the further away you are, the curve of the earth puts you below the signal making it hard to pick up. Bouncing off the atmosphere lets you pick up stations that are broken up due to obstructions or too far away to pick up.

I get envious of you Ontario folk. We don't get much OTA over here.
From what I have read that is exactly what is happening, and why it isn't consistent and maintainable, but also likely happens more often than you know. It isn't like we scan every time we want to watch TV.

On those nights I get everything from Buffalo, everything from Rochester and everything from Toronto, as well as some of the northern Ontario random ones. Typically I just get a good swat of Buffalo and some of the Toronto ones.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3293 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: I can get over 60 on good summer nights in Cobourg.
What are you using?
My assumption is you're using long range multi bay, with two aimed at Toronto/Hamilton, and the other two Buffalo? Cobourg seems to be in a very strategic location for maximum OTA channels (using a fairly simple set-up).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8111 posts
2594 upvotes
shikotee wrote: What are you using?
My assumption is you're using long range multi bay, with two aimed at Toronto/Hamilton, and the other two Buffalo? Cobourg seems to be in a very strategic location for maximum OTA channels (using a fairly simple set-up).
I think Cobourg and port hope are a hot spot. If you drive around, you see antennas every where if you know what to look for.

This is my current antenna setup, but I am not convinced it is my best.
Images
  • MVIMG_20190901_104420.jpg
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
691 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: This is my current antenna setup, but I am not convinced it is my best.
How is it bolted to the roof there?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8111 posts
2594 upvotes
goodking wrote: How is it bolted to the roof there?
2" leg bolts, and a metal strap to stabilize it in the wind.

Here is a zoomed in picture.
Images
  • MVIMG_20190901_124121.jpg
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
691 upvotes
After almost being scared away by all the downvotes, this has ended up being a surprisingly informative thread!

Thanx OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3203 posts
1259 upvotes
Just did a channel scan for my indoor antenna today and I got 16 channels. It's the most stations, I've ever received with no sight line to the CN Tower. However, I'm pissed that I lost Channel 57 (CityTV) with this scan.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
12024 posts
3937 upvotes
Toronto
I'm getting three Rogers "test" channels, two from OMNI (26.1, 30.1) and one from City (18.1) nothing but a place holder
I wonder more programming coming or existing channels will move to these new slots?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8111 posts
2594 upvotes
jenviea wrote: I'm getting three Rogers "test" channels, two from OMNI (26.1, 30.1) and one from City (18.1) nothing but a place holder
I wonder more programming coming or existing channels will move to these new slots?
I scanned last night and got those as well. 55 channels total, getting both the Rochester and Buffalo broadcasts. Hopefully, that lasts for a bit.