Computers & Electronics

OTA HDTV signal to Android TV Box - does this product exist?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2016 7:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1680 upvotes
Toronto

OTA HDTV signal to Android TV Box - does this product exist?

Wondering if such a product exists, that converts an OTA HDTV signal from a RG6 Coax into a data signal that can be distributed (wirelessly?) on a home Ethernet network and broadcast through an Android TV box that runs XBMC (or some other app)

Example Setup:
Channel Master 8-bay OTA Antenna --> RG6 --> [MAGIC BOX?] --> Cat6 --> Wi-fi Router --> wireless N/AC signal --> Minix X8-H Plus Android TV Box --> HDMI --> TV

I have 2 TV's both with their own Minix X8-H Plus boxes that are used for streaming content from the internet (ex: Genesis repository) and local content stored on my Synology NAS, using XBMC (Kodi).

I've come across a product called "HD Home Run" (http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/HDHomeRunHDHR4.asp), but I'm not sure if it'll be compatible with my android box, as it only shows compatibility with windows, mac and some linux platforms.

Has anyone been successful using this HD Home Run (or other) device, to watch OTA HDTV on your android box?

Seeing that I have 2 TV's would I be able to watch 2 different OTA channels simultaneously using 1 device? Or will I need a device per TV?
14 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1680 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm... came across another site. Looks to be the actual creator of HD Homerun (rather than the reseller I linked to in my OP above)

https://www.silicondust.com/products/hd ... onnect-ca/

The newest version called "HD Homerun CONNECT", specifically states that it has an add-on for Kodi.

.... this looks promising!!

Has anyone had success with setting this up on their Minix X8-H Plus as well?

Any local (GTA) resellers of this HD Homerun Connect device?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1237 posts
1442 upvotes
TORONTO
I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but...

On the Fire TV (1st gen), I installed Kodi running the Eminence skin. I then installed the add-on USTVNOW (made an account on the website first for credentials) and 0-iptv (sideloaded from my phone.) I favourited both of these in Kodi, and created home screen shortcuts in the Eminence skin so they launch with one click. 0-iptv automatically acquired most local channels, and USTVNOW listed basic, major US networks with no fuss. I found this combination strong and functional enough that I entirely got rid of my DB4E.

There's also probably a bootleg workaround using your raw materials that can be done with something like a Slingbox and its app. The bonus is you, family, or distant friends can watch and control your own OTA halfway around the world. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2835 posts
974 upvotes
HDHR4-2US

This is what I got from Newegg about 1.5 years ago. I have a rabbit ears antenna in a window hooked up to this box; box is on the network (cabled); I'm in a condo 4 floors up. I get 21 channels in HD. HD Homerun have a Kodi addon - works fantastic. It's only 2 tuner and I plan on getting another, or another model that has more tuners.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2835 posts
974 upvotes
Repooc wrote: Wondering if such a product exists, that converts an OTA HDTV signal from a RG6 Coax into a data signal that can be distributed (wirelessly?) on a home Ethernet network and broadcast through an Android TV box that runs XBMC (or some other app)

Example Setup:
Channel Master 8-bay OTA Antenna --> RG6 --> [MAGIC BOX?] --> Cat6 --> Wi-fi Router --> wireless N/AC signal --> Minix X8-H Plus Android TV Box --> HDMI --> TV

I have 2 TV's both with their own Minix X8-H Plus boxes that are used for streaming content from the internet (ex: Genesis repository) and local content stored on my Synology NAS, using XBMC (Kodi).

I've come across a product called "HD Home Run" (http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/HDHomeRunHDHR4.asp), but I'm not sure if it'll be compatible with my android box, as it only shows compatibility with windows, mac and some linux platforms.

Has anyone been successful using this HD Home Run (or other) device, to watch OTA HDTV on your android box?

Seeing that I have 2 TV's would I be able to watch 2 different OTA channels simultaneously using 1 device? Or will I need a device per TV?
This is exactly what I'm doing with the HDHR4-2US. I also have a backend set up as a PVR using this box (NextPVR). Note that some NAS boxes support backend PVR functionality and support this unit, so you can record as well. Do some searched, but looks like TV headend may be supported (http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=55075)... just google "Synology and HD Homerun".
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1680 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback everyone

I've been doing a lot of reading on the hdhomerun line of products.

It really comes down to 2 hdhomerun models:
- connect
- extend

The only difference between the 2 is that the connect broadcasts in SD and the extend broadcasts in HD.

To me, it's a no brainer to go with the "extend" model, because it doesn't make sense to receive an uncompressed 1080i HD signal only to have it downconverted to an SD quality image at the TV.

... Unless I'm misunderstanding the product specs.

Now to find an hdhomerun extend in the GTA
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2835 posts
974 upvotes
The connect shows the stations as they broadcast, full quality stream, it's not downconverted.
The difference isn't HD or non-HD, it's that the extend compresses the signal using H.264, so it can be streamed easier over wireless (in your case, if you will be using wireless devices more, the Extend would be better - it's also much more expensive).

1080i signal is how HDTV is broadcast OTA, 1080p is not as common and used more with PPV stuff.
The connect sends the signal uncompressed, so over Wi-Fi (depends on what you have) it may stutter.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1680 upvotes
Toronto
vodka wrote: The connect shows the stations as they broadcast, full quality stream, it's not downconverted.
The difference isn't HD or non-HD, it's that the extend compresses the signal using H.264, so it can be streamed easier over wireless (in your case, if you will be using wireless devices more, the Extend would be better - it's also much more expensive).

1080i signal is how HDTV is broadcast OTA, 1080p is not as common and used more with PPV stuff.
The connect sends the signal uncompressed, so over Wi-Fi (depends on what you have) it may stutter.
Yeah, I think you may be correct.

Both my minix boxes are hardwired with cat 6 cabling to my home network.

Reading into the specs more, it looks like both the Connect and Extend can broadcast HD (1080i) over a hardwired connection, its just that the Extend can do HD both on wired AND wireless connections.

I think I'll go for the Connect then, and save a bit of cash... if I happen to watch OTA content on my phone or tablet while on the toilet or something; if its not HD, it won't be the end of the world... it's the TV's I'm most concerned about.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2835 posts
974 upvotes
CAT6 - are you running 10Gb inside your home? crazy...
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3111 posts
1704 upvotes
vodka wrote: The connect shows the stations as they broadcast, full quality stream, it's not downconverted.

Iirc, it's mpeg2 vs h264. Most android boxes can deal with hd in h264. Can your android box handle 1080i mpeg2?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3527 posts
632 upvotes
Corktown
OP, Silicondust changed the names of their products about a year ago.

This whole "Connect" and "Extend" naming convention is very confusing.

The HDTC-2US is the latest model that does transcode and significantly reduces network bandwidth requirements. Without the transcode feature (to H.264) the typical HD over-air broadcast will be 16Mb/s. This can be too much for any device with limited CPU on a wireless network.

I would spend the extra money on the transcode version.
Jun 19, 2005
224 posts
16 upvotes
PitchyDawg wrote: I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but...

On the Fire TV (1st gen), I installed Kodi running the Eminence skin. I then installed the add-on USTVNOW (made an account on the website first for credentials) and 0-iptv (sideloaded from my phone.) I favourited both of these in Kodi, and created home screen shortcuts in the Eminence skin so they launch with one click. 0-iptv automatically acquired most local channels, and USTVNOW listed basic, major US networks with no fuss. I found this combination strong and functional enough that I entirely got rid of my DB4E.

There's also probably a bootleg workaround using your raw materials that can be done with something like a Slingbox and its app. The bonus is you, family, or distant friends can watch and control your own OTA halfway around the world. Good luck!
Can someone please share how to install 0-iptv on Kodi? I don't see any addon for this.

Thx
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
studycertification wrote: Can someone please share how to install 0-iptv on Kodi? I don't see any addon for this.

Thx
0-iptv is not a Kodi add-on, just install it on your Android desktop !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)