Computers & Electronics

Are other stores going to compete with Amazon prime day here in Canada like they are in other countries?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2019 5:26 pm
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
86 posts
6 upvotes

Are other stores going to compete with Amazon prime day here in Canada like they are in other countries?

I've been reading a lot about prime day lately as I'm hoping I might get a good deal on an oled. While reading I've learned that in the u.s. and u.k. other stores like walmart, target and best buy are planning on competing with amazon this prime day by offering a lot of great deals as well, but I cant find anything about Canadian retailers doing the same. Just curious if anyones heard/read anything? Thanks
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5406 posts
5484 upvotes
Toronto
Dunno, haven't seen any good deals on worthwhile items on Prime Day recently. Why bother competing with vendors who want to unload B-stock and poor sales performance items?
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Jan 12, 2017
403 posts
137 upvotes
Don't get dizzy over 'prime day', it's a subscription based service and Amazon's attempt to remake an exclusive Black Friday. The free shipping angle is a good one, and prime sales on occasion offer almost wholesale prices, but you have to be on the edge of major purchases to make this viable. Certain select groups get 'prime' free; usually people flush with cash and don't mind premium treatment for a price.

This is RedFlagDeals and unlikely most members here are 'prime'. Costco is clearing older OLED's for $1500 , I doubt you'll see that on Amazon.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15137 posts
1832 upvotes
Oshawa
When do Canadian retailers truly compete for any reason?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1851 posts
135 upvotes
Ottawa
So far many of the pre-prime day deals on the google store have some similar discounts on the canadian store. Here's hoping their rumoured actual prime day deals also have equivalent canadian promotions.
Jan 12, 2017
403 posts
137 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 8:22 pm
When do Canadian retailers truly compete for any reason?
Canada is too small a market, the protection given by government controls ensures Canadians no choice; vendors price what the market will bare. The best we can do is forums like RFD etc. which gives the illusion of competition and big box stores that decide Canada is ripe for the picking.

This article from the Verge lays out real competition when the market is large enough. https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/2068 ... ls-walmart at one point we will be looking at a world market or rebellion.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5194 posts
2163 upvotes
take a look at bestbuy. They matched the amazon prices for Instant Pot and only for today and possibly tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2466 posts
125 upvotes
Burlington
BestBuy often actively price modifies their items to match AMZ during prime day, they're also hosting a 48hr sale of their own during prime day and have a Apple 3 day sale active it seems.

So in a general answer yes, other companies are going to do something similar to prime day just depends to what extent. I feel they have more regular deals or other events that aren't matched by other online or physical retailers.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
86 posts
6 upvotes
PatK621 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 7:59 pm
Don't get dizzy over 'prime day', it's a subscription based service and Amazon's attempt to remake an exclusive Black Friday. The free shipping angle is a good one, and prime sales on occasion offer almost wholesale prices, but you have to be on the edge of major purchases to make this viable. Certain select groups get 'prime' free; usually people flush with cash and don't mind premium treatment for a price.

This is RedFlagDeals and unlikely most members here are 'prime'. Costco is clearing older OLED's for $1500 , I doubt you'll see that on Amazon.
I've been watching Costco's oled prices. I haven't seen them come down a bit. When was this?
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
86 posts
6 upvotes
PatK621 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 1:54 pm
They had a few last week.
Do you think that the prices may possibly come back down sometime this summer? Maybe based on what has happened in the past. Thanks
Jan 12, 2017
403 posts
137 upvotes
Model clear-out; did you personally check to see if any remain? Look for Black Friday in-store deals.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1120 posts
994 upvotes
Vancouver
Most stores here just put up one of their usual "MASSIVE MEGA-SALE!!" announcements for the same time as Prime Days to benefit from the hype. Neither Amazon.ca's Prime Days prices nor any of the competing sales are anything special. The whole thing is more hype than substance. I looked at dozens of items that I've been interested in over the last several months, and all were priced higher than the best sales I've seen them in that time period.