• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2019 12:40 pm
[OP]
Mar 15, 2017
24 posts
5 upvotes
Gatineau, QC

Ottawa AC install - price and installer recommendations

I'm looking at an AC install in a 3bedroom townhouse.

What's a reasonable price for 1.5 Ton unit?
What's a recommended brand?
What's a recommended installer for kanata/Ottawa?

Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Nov 2, 2015
181 posts
139 upvotes
Oakville
Googtorruser wrote: I'm looking at an AC install in a 3bedroom townhouse.

What's a reasonable price for 1.5 Ton unit?
What's a recommended brand?
What's a recommended installer for kanata/Ottawa?

Thanks in advance.
Wish I could help you all the way out there in Ottawa but here's some information I can provide -

There are multiple different efficiencies of air conditioners. The efficiencies are rated in whats called a "SEER" rating (seasonal energy efficiency ratio). It's like miles per gallon for air conditioning. The higher the SEER, the more efficient the air conditioner, the quieter, costs less to operate, and is more efficient. SEER ratings can go as high as 25. Here in Ontario we use the air conditioner MAYBE 3 months of the year, and each rise in an air conditioner SEER rating believe it or not doesn't save very much on electricity. The minimum SEER rating you can install in Canada is a 13 SEER. We used to be able to install 10 SEER, 8.. 6 but efficiencies have all increased. 13 SEER and 16 SEER units seem to be the most popular air conditioner installations in my experience. People normally go the way of 16 SEER if they have some extra money to spend, plan on being in the home for over 10 years, want something quieter so they're not shouting while having patio drinks. A 13 SEER is the most common air conditioner you'll find because like I said, not much payback. A 13 SEER, 16 SEER, 18 SEER will cool the home all the same, that depends on the tonnage.

Smaller sometimes reputable companies will typically charge between $1800-$2400 for a Goodman 13 SEER single stage
Larger companies like Enercare or Reliance will charge $4100 for the same air conditioner but with the "peace of mind of going with a larger company"

Smaller companies will typically charge $2800-$3200 for a 16 SEER air conditioner 1.5 ton
Enercare or Reliance will charge roughly $5000 for the same unit

Brands I think are very good right now in the field are Goodman (cheap to buy, cheap, very readily available parts, looks nice, service friendly), Lennox (13 SEER normally $2500-$3000, 16 SEER $3500-$4000), Rheem, Trane/American standard. Prices will vary depending on how big the company is, how much overhead, and how much money a salesman wants to pocket. There are plenty of people out there charging $2000 for a Goodman 13 SEER with a 10 year parts warranty (registered) and a 1 year labor warranty. As long as the company installing the air conditioner has good installation practices, uses all new materials, nitrogen tests and puts the lines on a vacuum, puts the air conditioner on a straight slab, installs to coil straight, you should have no problems. If you have a bad feeling about the installers right off the bat, chances are your install will be a poor install.

Make sure the rep you're talking to takes pride in their work, won't cut corners, and delivers customer service. Integrity goes a long way. And for those who would beg to differ with lesser cost meaning lesser materials, we are dime a dozen that will do a clean installation for a reasonable price. Hope this helps
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3489 posts
1231 upvotes
Ottawa
I asked for a recommendation for an Ottawa AC installer about 2 weeks ago if you want to look for that thread.

We are going with this company https://www.enblue.com/ who was referred to me on RFD (thanks, chickinvic!) We were quite impressed with the sales representative (Kevin) who explained our options at great length, and who looked at the existing equipment and electrical panel. We're going with a 1.5 ton Trane as we have a small (1100 sq ft) bungalow, and although I wanted info about quiet models, the cost for one was more than we plan to pay.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2017
24 posts
5 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
OttawaGardener wrote: I asked for a recommendation for an Ottawa AC installer about 2 weeks ago if you want to look for that thread.

We are going with this company https://www.enblue.com/ who was referred to me on RFD (thanks, chickinvic!) We were quite impressed with the sales representative (Kevin) who explained our options at great length, and who looked at the existing equipment and electrical panel. We're going with a 1.5 ton Trane as we have a small (1100 sq ft) bungalow, and although I wanted info about quiet models, the cost for one was more than we plan to pay.
Thanks for the response.
Your thread is here - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/need-ne ... n-2271634/#

Some useful info there.

What price did you pay and what warranty did you get?
[OP]
Mar 15, 2017
24 posts
5 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
JivesHVAC wrote: Wish I could help you all the way out there in Ottawa but here's some information I can provide -

There are multiple different efficiencies of air conditioners. The efficiencies are rated in whats called a "SEER" rating (seasonal energy efficiency ratio). It's like miles per gallon for air conditioning. The higher the SEER, the more efficient the air conditioner, the quieter, costs less to operate, and is more efficient. SEER ratings can go as high as 25. Here in Ontario we use the air conditioner MAYBE 3 months of the year, and each rise in an air conditioner SEER rating believe it or not doesn't save very much on electricity. The minimum SEER rating you can install in Canada is a 13 SEER. We used to be able to install 10 SEER, 8.. 6 but efficiencies have all increased. 13 SEER and 16 SEER units seem to be the most popular air conditioner installations in my experience. People normally go the way of 16 SEER if they have some extra money to spend, plan on being in the home for over 10 years, want something quieter so they're not shouting while having patio drinks. A 13 SEER is the most common air conditioner you'll find because like I said, not much payback. A 13 SEER, 16 SEER, 18 SEER will cool the home all the same, that depends on the tonnage.

Smaller sometimes reputable companies will typically charge between $1800-$2400 for a Goodman 13 SEER single stage
Larger companies like Enercare or Reliance will charge $4100 for the same air conditioner but with the "peace of mind of going with a larger company"

Smaller companies will typically charge $2800-$3200 for a 16 SEER air conditioner 1.5 ton
Enercare or Reliance will charge roughly $5000 for the same unit

Brands I think are very good right now in the field are Goodman (cheap to buy, cheap, very readily available parts, looks nice, service friendly), Lennox (13 SEER normally $2500-$3000, 16 SEER $3500-$4000), Rheem, Trane/American standard. Prices will vary depending on how big the company is, how much overhead, and how much money a salesman wants to pocket. There are plenty of people out there charging $2000 for a Goodman 13 SEER with a 10 year parts warranty (registered) and a 1 year labor warranty. As long as the company installing the air conditioner has good installation practices, uses all new materials, nitrogen tests and puts the lines on a vacuum, puts the air conditioner on a straight slab, installs to coil straight, you should have no problems. If you have a bad feeling about the installers right off the bat, chances are your install will be a poor install.

Make sure the rep you're talking to takes pride in their work, won't cut corners, and delivers customer service. Integrity goes a long way. And for those who would beg to differ with lesser cost meaning lesser materials, we are dime a dozen that will do a clean installation for a reasonable price. Hope this helps
Thanks for the great info. Much appreciated.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)