Home & Garden

Ottawa: cost to hang, tape, mud, and paint a 12 x 7.5 feet wall? Also move an outlet forward a bit.

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 8:51 am
[OP]
Apr 6, 2009
43 posts
27 upvotes
Nepean

Ottawa: cost to hang, tape, mud, and paint a 12 x 7.5 feet wall? Also move an outlet forward a bit.

So there is an old wooden panel wall in the dinning room of a relative's house.

The wall is about 12/13 feet wide and 7.5 feet high. So 3 to 4 pieces of drywall should cover it. There are studs behind the wall (every 3 to 4 feet or so). There is also an electrical outlet which will need to be moved slightly forward since drywall is thicker than old wooden panels. No windows, fireplaces, or anything fancy, just an outlet.

The contractor who is currently doing the kitchen and painting the entire house charged us $600 CAD to hang it, tape/mud it, and paint it. Not sure if it is a fair price during covid days, or a "I don't really want to do it" price.

Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1418 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
It's such a small job you're going to be paying a premium just to get someone to show up.

If someone is already in your house, I'd go with that option. I would consider $600 fair for this work, I don't think you'd find someone to drywall AND paint it for cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6880 posts
2446 upvotes
GTA
Dimeron wrote: So there is an old wooden panel wall in the dinning room of a relative's house.

The wall is about 12/13 feet wide and 7.5 feet high. So 3 to 4 pieces of drywall should cover it.

The contractor who is currently doing the kitchen and painting the entire house charged us $600 CAD to hang it, tape/mud it, and paint it. Not sure if it is a fair price during covid days, or a "I don't really want to do it" price.
I think that's more of an "I'm already here set up to work price"...its more than fair.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3527 posts
2521 upvotes
Toronto
Studs every three feet or so? That doesn't make any sense. And you say the contractor already charged you the $600 to do it?

Fair price, and probably 1/2 of what you'd pay someone to come in and do it as a single job. It takes multiple trips to do drywall.
Mar 20, 2017
354 posts
709 upvotes
Price is more than reasonable as cost in materials is about $100 for 4 sheets and mud these days