Shopping Discussion

Ottawa folks; anyone try to clear UPS customs yourself?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2009 9:02 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3123 posts
612 upvotes
Vancouver
My item was $250 CAD.

So PST + GST was ~$30.

And I'm pretty sure Canada Post would ding me on GST/PST for an item declared at $250...
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4060 posts
514 upvotes
T.O.
litebrite wrote: My item was $250 CAD.

So PST + GST was ~$30.

And I'm pretty sure Canada Post would ding me on GST/PST for an item declared at $250...
So all that work for 30$?
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9513 posts
567 upvotes
Markham
litebrite wrote: My item was $250 CAD.

So PST + GST was ~$30.

But umm... wouldn't you be still paying the GST and PST regardless if a customs broker handles it? What did you save then?
:lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3123 posts
612 upvotes
Vancouver
UPS was going to charge me $80 and I ended up paying around $50; so I saved $30. I know it's not much, but it's still something.

And now that I have an account set up w/ A&A, next time I run into this again I can just give UPS A&A's contact right away. This was a learning experience.

Although yeah, in the future I will try to avoid UPS if possible. Or only send them to my address in Blaine, WA and pick them up myself when I go home to Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1028 posts
63 upvotes
Just to add,
if you have something shipped AIR not ground with UPS the broker fees are included.

You get the item much quicker usually just a couple days and no broker fees to worry about.