Ottawa Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 2:03 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5707 posts
1762 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote: You're paying a huuuuuuuuge premium for a bungalow town.
I have to agree, there are very few bungalow townhouse and they are all fairly new (probably no more than 10-15 years old) so the market price for them is probably pretty much what you'd pay for a single.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3515 posts
2867 upvotes
deadsea wrote: Hello All:

My parents are relocating to Ottawa and looking for a small townhome around St Joseph/Jeanne D'Arc area. So far I have found this:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... Gloucester

This sounds like a ridiculous price for a 1+1 bedroom townhome. Is the Ottawa freehold townhome market really this hot?
You are generally going to pay a premium for a bungalow in Ottawa. They will get much more square footage in a 2 story town for less cost.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7073 posts
4218 upvotes
Victoria, BC
deadsea wrote: Hello All:

My parents are relocating to Ottawa and looking for a small townhome around St Joseph/Jeanne D'Arc area. So far I have found this:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... Gloucester

This sounds like a ridiculous price for a 1+1 bedroom townhome. Is the Ottawa freehold townhome market really this hot?
Way too expensive. 1 bedroom lol? It sure looks closed in for supposedly having 9' ceilings. Weird.
Jun 7, 2010
290 posts
80 upvotes
Thanks everyone. We are just gonna hold tight, since market seems way too overpriced for the location.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6147 posts
2904 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I think it's almost a "senior tax" or maybe more accurately a demand niche. 55+ crowd doesn't want all the stairs anymore. 55+ crowd also has all the dollars (equity in their current property). Net result are overpriced bungalows and "lifestyle homes."
Jun 7, 2010
290 posts
80 upvotes
Mike15 wrote: I think it's almost a "senior tax" or maybe more accurately a demand niche. 55+ crowd doesn't want all the stairs anymore. 55+ crowd also has all the dollars (equity in their current property). Net result are overpriced bungalows and "lifestyle homes."
Thanks Mike. Good point, but I guess my folks are ok with a townhome with stairs. I guess this is the only property available in this area at this point in time, but definately got me spooked a bit. I don't look in RE much and just could not understand why this 1 bedroom will be same price as my single detached :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7073 posts
4218 upvotes
Victoria, BC
deadsea wrote: Thanks Mike. Good point, but I guess my folks are ok with a townhome with stairs. I guess this is the only property available in this area at this point in time, but definately got me spooked a bit. I don't look in RE much and just could not understand why this 1 bedroom will be same price as my single detached :)
I guess partly because it is taking up a bigger footprint. Less house but with a bigger footprint.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3515 posts
2867 upvotes
deadsea wrote: Thanks Mike. Good point, but I guess my folks are ok with a townhome with stairs. I guess this is the only property available in this area at this point in time, but definately got me spooked a bit. I don't look in RE much and just could not understand why this 1 bedroom will be same price as my single detached :)
If you can look beyond the decor choices, this (https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... -Gardenway), while it is a lot of house, offers a lot of house at the price point. It would provide the option of a bedroom on the main floor should stairs become a problem or a fancy guest room with a large master upstairs.

Also know that the Tamarack lifestyle attached bungalows that are in Chaperal and Cardinal Creek are usually smaller and go for $425K+.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote: Way too expensive. 1 bedroom lol? It sure looks closed in for supposedly having 9' ceilings. Weird.
I agree but it does have 9' ceilings (2' door headers)...if it had 8' ceilings it would look like a hobbit house. I'd wager 9' ceilings were standard because of how cramped it looks.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
For the price these "adult lifestyle community" towns are selling you can get a nice 3 bedroom town and have an elevator installed. Coolness factor exponentially higher for the elder...plus you're pretty much guaranteed you see your grandchildren more often. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3515 posts
2867 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: I agree but it does have 9' ceilings (2' door headers)...if it had 8' ceilings it would look like a hobbit house. I'd wager 9' ceilings were standard because of how cramped it looks.
I don't remember 9' being standard. It's a Minto town and I recall viewing them when they were being built in Kanata.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
skeet50 wrote: I don't remember 9' being standard. It's a Minto town and I recall viewing them when they were being built in Kanata.
I stand corrected. Surprised they would’nt have upgraded the model home at 9’.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5707 posts
1762 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote: For the price these "adult lifestyle community" towns are selling you can get a nice 3 bedroom town and have an elevator installed. Coolness factor exponentially higher for the elder...plus you're pretty much guaranteed you see your grandchildren more often. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
In Florida, I've seen tons of new construction homes with elevators and supposedly they can be installed at construction for as little as $20-30k but I've heard that in Canada, it's much more expensive and it's more like $100k to get an elevator installed. I was told that it's because pneumatic elevators weren't allowed in the area but I don't know if that's true (it might have been the salesperson at a builder that told me this so it might have just been a convenient excuse as to why they didn't offer them).

Please let us know if that's not correct.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
michelb wrote: In Florida, I've seen tons of new construction homes with elevators and supposedly they can be installed at construction for as little as $20-30k but I've heard that in Canada, it's much more expensive and it's more like $100k to get an elevator installed. I was told that it's because pneumatic elevators weren't allowed in the area but I don't know if that's true (it might have been the salesperson at a builder that told me this so it might have just been a convenient excuse as to why they didn't offer them).

Please let us know if that's not correct.
I have no clue (never installed one) and I don't know if the code changed since but this guy put in a 3 stop hydraulic in Calgary for $29,000 in 2013.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... le9707148/

they're not unnafordable, people just dont need them yet but with the trend to build up (3 storey townhouse anyone? those new basement garage towns hauling stuff up every day?) and an aging population I have a feeling we'll see more and more and prices will drop even more.

Anyways $425K for a 1+1 bungalow will get you 2 fancy elevators basement to 2nd floor on each end of the house in a 3bd/3bath town.
- Mark Twain
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10124 posts
3226 upvotes
Ottawa
I am happy to report our house was SOLD in 4 days! We ended up with the DIY package and we were very grateful to the Grapevine agent who gave us pointers along the way, even though he did not represent us in the traditional way of a listing agent.

We never received any phone call/email from anyone perusing Grapevine but we got 3 showings booked the moment our home went on MLS, 2 of which resulting in an offer! I think Grapevine realized the importance of MLS listing so they now package it together right from the get-go, whereas those were 2 distinct options when we first went with them 6 years ago.

It's a double-edged sword in a sellers' market. We were always confident we would sell our home in a reasonable amount of time but now that we are in the buyers' shoes, things are a little bit more interesting, to say the least :) There have not been too many listings on the market, I am hoping to see more popping up after the long weekend and in April/May.

Thank you all for your advice. It sounds a bit scary trying to sell a home on your own, even though we have already been down this path before, but it is definitely not rocket science and it is just a great feeling knowing our hard work (cleaning and staging etc) paid off in the end!
[removed]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

MikeMOON2