None
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 10:11 am
Way too expensive. 1 bedroom lol? It sure looks closed in for supposedly having 9' ceilings. Weird.
I agree but it does have 9' ceilings (2' door headers)...if it had 8' ceilings it would look like a hobbit house. I'd wager 9' ceilings were standard because of how cramped it looks.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
deadsea wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 11:16 am
Thanks Mike. Good point, but I guess my folks are ok with a townhome with stairs. I guess this is the only property available in this area at this point in time, but definately got me spooked a bit. I don't look in RE much and just could not understand why this 1 bedroom will be same price as my single detached :)
For the price these "adult lifestyle community" towns are selling you can get a nice 3 bedroom town and have an elevator installed. Coolness factor exponentially higher for the elder...plus you're pretty much guaranteed you see your grandchildren more often. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2639 posts
1955 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 3:49 pm
I agree but it does have 9' ceilings (2' door headers)...if it had 8' ceilings it would look like a hobbit house. I'd wager 9' ceilings were standard because of how cramped it looks.
I don't remember 9' being standard. It's a Minto town and I recall viewing them when they were being built in Kanata.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
skeet50 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 5:23 pm
I don't remember 9' being standard. It's a Minto town and I recall viewing them when they were being built in Kanata.
I stand corrected. Surprised they would’nt have upgraded the model home at 9’.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4944 posts
1027 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 4:00 pm
For the price these "adult lifestyle community" towns are selling you can get a nice 3 bedroom town and have an elevator installed. Coolness factor exponentially higher for the elder...plus you're pretty much guaranteed you see your grandchildren more often. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
In Florida, I've seen tons of new construction homes with elevators and supposedly they can be installed at construction for as little as $20-30k but I've heard that in Canada, it's much more expensive and it's more like $100k to get an elevator installed. I was told that it's because pneumatic elevators weren't allowed in the area but I don't know if that's true (it might have been the salesperson at a builder that told me this so it might have just been a convenient excuse as to why they didn't offer them).

Please let us know if that's not correct.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4103 upvotes
Ottawa
michelb wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 8:34 am
In Florida, I've seen tons of new construction homes with elevators and supposedly they can be installed at construction for as little as $20-30k but I've heard that in Canada, it's much more expensive and it's more like $100k to get an elevator installed. I was told that it's because pneumatic elevators weren't allowed in the area but I don't know if that's true (it might have been the salesperson at a builder that told me this so it might have just been a convenient excuse as to why they didn't offer them).

Please let us know if that's not correct.
I have no clue (never installed one) and I don't know if the code changed since but this guy put in a 3 stop hydraulic in Calgary for $29,000 in 2013.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... le9707148/

they're not unnafordable, people just dont need them yet but with the trend to build up (3 storey townhouse anyone? those new basement garage towns hauling stuff up every day?) and an aging population I have a feeling we'll see more and more and prices will drop even more.

Anyways $425K for a 1+1 bungalow will get you 2 fancy elevators basement to 2nd floor on each end of the house in a 3bd/3bath town.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9835 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
I am happy to report our house was SOLD in 4 days! We ended up with the DIY package and we were very grateful to the Grapevine agent who gave us pointers along the way, even though he did not represent us in the traditional way of a listing agent.

We never received any phone call/email from anyone perusing Grapevine but we got 3 showings booked the moment our home went on MLS, 2 of which resulting in an offer! I think Grapevine realized the importance of MLS listing so they now package it together right from the get-go, whereas those were 2 distinct options when we first went with them 6 years ago.

It's a double-edged sword in a sellers' market. We were always confident we would sell our home in a reasonable amount of time but now that we are in the buyers' shoes, things are a little bit more interesting, to say the least :) There have not been too many listings on the market, I am hoping to see more popping up after the long weekend and in April/May.

Thank you all for your advice. It sounds a bit scary trying to sell a home on your own, even though we have already been down this path before, but it is definitely not rocket science and it is just a great feeling knowing our hard work (cleaning and staging etc) paid off in the end!
[removed]
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2639 posts
1955 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 7:40 am
I am happy to report our house was SOLD in 4 days! We ended up with the DIY package and we were very grateful to the Grapevine agent who gave us pointers along the way, even though he did not represent us in the traditional way of a listing agent.
Congratulations. Now the fun starts - looking for another home.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2639 posts
1955 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 10:44 am
I have no clue (never installed one) and I don't know if the code changed since but this guy put in a 3 stop hydraulic in Calgary for $29,000 in 2013.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... le9707148/

they're not unnafordable, people just dont need them yet but with the trend to build up (3 storey townhouse anyone? those new basement garage towns hauling stuff up every day?) and an aging population I have a feeling we'll see more and more and prices will drop even more.

Anyways $425K for a 1+1 bungalow will get you 2 fancy elevators basement to 2nd floor on each end of the house in a 3bd/3bath town.
Richcraft had an elevator in one of its early model homes in Riverside South. I can't remember the price off the top of my head, but I do remember thinking it was cheaper to install the elevator than to buy a bungalow.

Of course, another option is simply buy a 2 story with a straight run of stairs and when the time comes install a chair lift. Not the prettiest thing on the stairs, but it is easily installed, it works, and can easily be uninstalled when no longer needed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6867 posts
4011 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
canabiz wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 7:40 am

We never received any phone call/email from anyone perusing Grapevine but we got 3 showings booked the moment our home went on MLS, 2 of which resulting in an offer! I think Grapevine realized the importance of MLS listing so they now package it together right from the get-go, whereas those were 2 distinct options when we first went with them 6 years ago.

It's a double-edged sword in a sellers' market. We were always confident we would sell our home in a reasonable amount of time but now that we are in the buyers' shoes, things are a little bit more interesting, to say the least :) There have not been too many listings on the market, I am hoping to see more popping up after the long weekend and in April/May.

Thank you all for your advice. It sounds a bit scary trying to sell a home on your own, even though we have already been down this path before, but it is definitely not rocket science and it is just a great feeling knowing our hard work (cleaning and staging etc) paid off in the end!
And think of the thousands you didn't waste on a realtor (I'm assuming you probably paid something for the buyer's realtor if they had one, but still a big savings).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6867 posts
4011 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
skeet50 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 8:51 am
Richcraft had an elevator in one of its early model homes in Riverside South. I can't remember the price off the top of my head, but I do remember thinking it was cheaper to install the elevator than to buy a bungalow.

Of course, another option is simply buy a 2 story with a straight run of stairs and when the time comes install a chair lift. Not the prettiest thing on the stairs, but it is easily installed, it works, and can easily be uninstalled when no longer needed.
I have to admit, an elevator would be pretty cool though:) I wouldn't rely on one during a fire of course. I'd have to keep a mat handy to slide down the stairs lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9835 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 9:59 am
And think of the thousands you didn't waste on a realtor (I'm assuming you probably paid something for the buyer's realtor if they had one, but still a big savings).
Yes we will pay the buyer's agent his commissions and we don't have any issue with that. Many buyers (private or even represented by agents) hesitate to seal the deal, for different reasons, and that is where the buyer's agent earns his/her cheque.

I have seen more ComFree signs around the city as well. Grapevine is definitely not the only FSBO game in town and a little bit of competition never hurts!
[removed]
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2639 posts
1955 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 3:56 pm
Update: The Exclusive listing had an open house last weekend and I was expecting to see a SOLD sign this week. Realtor was there again today to put up another Open House sign. So I am guessing that last week's open house didn't produce any positive result. I know the sellers personally so I am hoping that the Exclusive listing works for them.

On another note - one of the homes that was listed prior to Xmas has sold. And today, a townhome went on the market. Will be interesting to see how long that lasts.
Thought I would provide an update on Solds since this posting in Feb.

The exclusive listing went to regular listing and sold. The town mentioned above sold at full asking in 72 hours. In addition, 5 other listings have also sold. As of today, there are 2 singles still listed (both have only been listed for a short time) and one town which I expect a sold sign soon as it shows well and is priced well.

All to say lots of activity in Orleans.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3061 posts
269 upvotes
Ottawa
skeet50 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2018 8:43 am
Thought I would provide an update on Solds since this posting in Feb.

The exclusive listing went to regular listing and sold. The town mentioned above sold at full asking in 72 hours. In addition, 5 other listings have also sold. As of today, there are 2 singles still listed (both have only been listed for a short time) and one town which I expect a sold sign soon as it shows well and is priced well.

All to say lots of activity in Orleans.
My friend bought a townhouse in orleans last week, it was listed 2 days and they were in a bidding war to get it, ~400k
Hello
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9835 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
Somewhat anecdotal but the guy servicing our furnace just sold his home in Barrhaven as well. He got an 0.5 acre out in Kars and he told me he will get to the Costco Barrhaven in less time than from his old house in Barrhaven! The traffic is just insane here now. I was out to run some errands earlier and Strandherd was bumper to bumper on a Saturday morning! Granted it was a holiday yesterday and people needed to get their stuff but still...

Another colleague is building his new home, also on bigger lot, in Kemtpville. Look like those are the options if you want to escape the hustle and bustle here. Add Richmond to the mix. There will be lots more people settling down in Barrhaven in the foreseeable future as I previously noted I am aware of at least 5 new projects on the go from Minto, Glenview, Mattamy and Tamarack.

Good time for the 'Haven!
[removed]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)