None
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1763 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:16 am
De La Salle school in Lower town has been ranked in the top French schools for years
That is a high school but yes it is well regarded. I think it covers most of the central neighbourhoods. Sure it includes Vanier, but also Rockcliffe/New Edinburgh and the Glebe etc.

Yes parents of kids in French school I talk to never worry about school zoning districts etc.
Jan 18, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
I have been watching on this subdivision as I notice the houses are all custom build and the lot is bigger than newly built. This one is a bit over my budget but seems very nice and the listing price is pretty reasonable. Last month I visited an open house here, it was sold in several days, so fast. I'll keep my eyes on this one to see how many days it would be sold. It seems Kanata is still very popular and price keeps up.

https://m.realtor.ca/Residential/Single ... -Katimavik
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1556 posts
686 upvotes
zhh081205 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 5:50 am
I have been watching on this subdivision as I notice the houses are all custom build and the lot is bigger than newly built. This one is a bit over my budget but seems very nice and the listing price is pretty reasonable. Last month I visited an open house here, it was sold in several days, so fast. I'll keep my eyes on this one to see how many days it would be sold. It seems Kanata is still very popular and price keeps up.

https://m.realtor.ca/Residential/Single ... -Katimavik
Seems like good value. House is 30 year old, so perhaps looks a bit "dated". Good high school district, but katimavic is not as desirable as Kanara Lakes.
Jan 18, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
Agree, Kanata Lake is more desirable than Katimavik. The small subdivision at Vanstone Dr. is the finest part in south Kanata in my thought when I drove around there for open house. Never been there before, just found out after driving through at that time. Location is very convenient and the house is more affordable as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6896 posts
4050 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
zhh081205 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 2:23 pm
Agree, Kanata Lake is more desirable than Katimavik. The small subdivision at Vanstone Dr. is the finest part in south Kanata in my thought when I drove around there for open house. Never been there before, just found out after driving through at that time. Location is very convenient and the house is more affordable as well.
We looked at a place on Vanstone with a pool, etc, last summer. It looked "dated" in the photos, but that is easy enough to fix I figured. Once we got inside though it was pretty messed up. Would have cost a lot of money to fix it up. It still sold quickly though because of the popular neighbourhood I guess.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1556 posts
686 upvotes
deadsea wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 7:59 am
I can't tell if I am going nuts or the market is going nuts :) A 2 bedroom townhouse for $525K in Orleans....wtf? I mean it has a huge lot and all, but its still a dated unit which is a town not a single.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... hapel-Hill
It's more of a semi than a town, as there is only one other unit in that structure. I guess they're trying to price it as a bungalow, and hope to sell to retirees? At my age, I really don't see the appeal of this property. But then I don't see the appeal of bungalows in general, or the appeal of a giant lot with my own private forest.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1556 posts
686 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 10:12 am
We looked at a place on Vanstone with a pool, etc, last summer. It looked "dated" in the photos, but that is easy enough to fix I figured. Once we got inside though it was pretty messed up. Would have cost a lot of money to fix it up. It still sold quickly though because of the popular neighbourhood I guess.
Thank you for the insight. Come to think of it, even if the structure is sound, fixing up the finishings of a 4000+ sqft property would cost a fortune, due to the sheer size of it.
Aug 6, 2011
512 posts
204 upvotes
deadsea wrote:
I can't tell if I am going nuts or the market is going nuts :) A 2 bedroom townhouse for $525K in Orleans....wtf? I mean it has a huge lot and all, but its still a dated unit which is a town not a single.

no way they can sell at that price. unless there's something I'm missing and I'd like to know. Are bungalow undersupply in Orleans? Does Orlean experience the catch up price with the rest of Ottawa?
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14422 posts
3625 upvotes
It's a massive lot which is why the price is high. I've been looking at detached homes in Nepean/Kanata and newer singles are well over $500k. Anything under is older (mid 90's/early 00's).
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6896 posts
4050 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:26 am
It's a massive lot which is why the price is high. I've been looking at detached homes in Nepean/Kanata and newer singles are well over $500k. Anything under is older (mid 90's/early 00's).
I'd far rather have the "older" on a bigger lot than the cookie-cutter developments these days with no yard (basically) and no trees.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6896 posts
4050 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BlueSolstice wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 8:49 am
It's more of a semi than a town, as there is only one other unit in that structure. I guess they're trying to price it as a bungalow, and hope to sell to retirees? At my age, I really don't see the appeal of this property. But then I don't see the appeal of bungalows in general, or the appeal of a giant lot with my own private forest.
I see the appeal of a giant lot with loads of trees. I don't care for this house though. I would want detached. That is what we have. Detached on a giant lot with loads of trees.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2694 posts
2052 upvotes
deadsea wrote:

If it had a double car garage, maybe. Then again, I was surprised that the Mattamy new build that I posted here several weeks ago as having a very ambitious price sold quickly.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2694 posts
2052 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 8:49 am
Surprising to me that a home built in 2005 doesn't have a fence in the back separating the units and the huge lots. That's a lot of land to take care of as separate units, let alone as one unit.

Like you, I also don't see the appeal of larger lots. They look nice, but I don't want the work of caring for it.
Jun 7, 2010
208 posts
20 upvotes
Agreed that its a bigger lot, but IMO town is a town is a town and not a detached! There are plenty of detached in this particular neighbourhood for $550-$650K range which are much nice.

I truly feel the price is gastronomically comical :) But there is a buyer for every property ....or the price goes down.

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 5 guests)

Tadalafil, Zero Hope, BlueSolstice