Real Estate

Ottawa Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2020 9:17 pm
May 30, 2016
54 posts
7 upvotes
Mike15 wrote: Stress test seems to be pushing buyers "down" a property class, and increasing demand (and prices) within that class. In GTA, it was condos. In Ottawa, I guess it's towns? (People priced out of detached homes are chasing the townhomes that are available).
You are right on point!
Dec 7, 2014
7 posts
Ottawa, ON
skeet50 wrote: One concern with the Spring Valley Trails development and all developments in that area is the proximity to the landfill on Navan Rd. It is apparently a landfill for .."solid non-hazardous Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (IC & I) waste including construction and demolition waste."
Speaking from first hand experience, you are isolated away from the landfill. Been living in the area for over 5 years and the proximity to the land fill had zero impact to quality of life.

Claridge is pretty good in this area for new builds, overall good experience buying a new build and workmanship is good. Prices are a little lower than Richcraft near by, but must pay for upgrades that the base model doesn't come with.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3528 posts
2885 upvotes
Thought I would share an interesting experience with Cardel. Received an email last week that Cardel had 2 quick possession towns that just became available in Blackstone. The email stated, "Given the demand we have for townhomes in this community, we will be accepting offers by email until January 17 at 6pm. Any offers are to include and will be evaluated on price, preferred closing date and deposit amount on signing."

Reads to me like Cardel was hoping to create a bidding war for these towns. We went out to look at them and the viewings were with other groups of people. We were told that there were lots of other people through these homes also.

On Friday the 18th, I noticed that the 2 towns are now listed as Early Occupancies on Cardel's website. So, I am guessing that Cardel did not receive any offers for these homes. Personally, I am glad as I feared that this was another tactic by a builder to increase demand and prices for its homes. We now know that builders only release a small number of lots in each release to increase demand. Creating bidding wars for its homes is just nuts imo.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1858 posts
884 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: Thought I would share an interesting experience with Cardel. Received an email last week that Cardel had 2 quick possession towns that just became available in Blackstone. The email stated, "Given the demand we have for townhomes in this community, we will be accepting offers by email until January 17 at 6pm. Any offers are to include and will be evaluated on price, preferred closing date and deposit amount on signing."

Reads to me like Cardel was hoping to create a bidding war for these towns. We went out to look at them and the viewings were with other groups of people. We were told that there were lots of other people through these homes also.

On Friday the 18th, I noticed that the 2 towns are now listed as Early Occupancies on Cardel's website. So, I am guessing that Cardel did not receive any offers for these homes. Personally, I am glad as I feared that this was another tactic by a builder to increase demand and prices for its homes. We now know that builders only release a small number of lots in each release to increase demand. Creating bidding wars for its homes is just nuts imo.
lol Blackstone is in southern Kanata. There's effectively unlimited land in the Kanata/Stittsville area. It's like GM trying to create a bidding war for the half dozen cars remaining on the lot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2622 posts
790 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote: lol Blackstone is in southern Kanata. There's effectively unlimited land in the Kanata/Stittsville area. It's like GM trying to create a bidding war for the half dozen cars remaining on the lot.
I'm just eyeballing the Realtor.ca website, there are currently EIGHT 2-stories freehold towns south of Hazeldean available on the MLS. Of which, only TWO are less than 5 years old.

Given the limited supply of newer/move in ready homes (Towns or Singles) available for less than $450k in the area I think it is a pretty sound marketing strategy that they were trying to pull.
Dec 12, 2013
52 posts
58 upvotes
William W wrote: I'm just eyeballing the Realtor.ca website, there are currently EIGHT 2-stories freehold towns south of Hazeldean available on the MLS. Of which, only TWO are less than 5 years old.

Given the limited supply of newer/move in ready homes (Towns or Singles) available for less than $450k in the area I think it is a pretty sound marketing strategy that they were trying to pull.

Jesus I will be selling my 5.5 year old executive town home in Barrhaven and this is giving me pause on how much I should be charging!!!!!
Aug 14, 2007
524 posts
281 upvotes
Ottawa
skeet50 wrote: Thought I would share an interesting experience with Cardel. Received an email last week that Cardel had 2 quick possession towns that just became available in Blackstone. The email stated, "Given the demand we have for townhomes in this community, we will be accepting offers by email until January 17 at 6pm. Any offers are to include and will be evaluated on price, preferred closing date and deposit amount on signing."

Well, I just checked Cardel home. Even 2 towns are listed as Early Occupancies on Cardel's website, however, both units have a long waiting list of buyers. If you have experience to purchase property before, you know that the property is technically still on sale until both parties have firm the deal and passed the cool down period (usually from 7 to 14 days).

Personally, I don't like the idea Builder create bidding wars, it simply doesn't make sense and ruin the builder reputation. I think the Cardel's early occupancies TH asking price was the market price in Nov-Dec 2018, it is end unit with double garages, however, it is super close to the powerline, which is clearly impact the property value.
Feb 18, 2010
880 posts
349 upvotes
Greely
BlueSolstice wrote: lol Blackstone is in southern Kanata. There's effectively unlimited land in the Kanata/Stittsville area. It's like GM trying to create a bidding war for the half dozen cars remaining on the lot.
Speaking of Cardel, does the Cardel development in Richmond (Creekside?) have deeper lots than Blackstone?
Jul 25, 2008
400 posts
274 upvotes
ottawa
Transportation is still an issue for Richmond. Kemptville and Barrhaven South are much closer to the 416 and Barrhaven has some transit and amenities.

Traffic will eventually limit Richmond's growth, if it isn't already.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2622 posts
790 upvotes
danishh wrote: Transportation is still an issue for Richmond. Kemptville and Barrhaven South are much closer to the 416 and Barrhaven has some transit and amenities.

Traffic will eventually limit Richmond's growth, if it isn't already.
Yes it will definitely be interesting to see how they deal with traffic and public transit as the Western Development Lands in Richmond is set out to have a capacity of 2300 units in total. I believe Fox Run by Caivan is not selling at the same pace as their development in Barrhaven or Orleans.

When Mattamy open Richmond Village later this year, it will be interesting to see how they set their price. It will probably have to be significantly below their Blackstone South or Half Moon Bay West prices before I will be interested.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1114 posts
462 upvotes
Hi all,

Plan on putting up my house in Barrhaven up for sale.. first time selling a house. Deciding between Comfree and Grapevine (still doing some research).

I planned on having an HVAC person come in and do an inspection on our furnace before the move. After talking about it with a colleague, they mentioned that it's actually not necessary, and that the potential buyer would perform this inspection (by hiring their own person). I'm new to this, so what exactly is the protocol here?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5724 posts
1783 upvotes
Ottawa
fancypantsfloyd wrote: Hi all,

Plan on putting up my house in Barrhaven up for sale.. first time selling a house. Deciding between Comfree and Grapevine (still doing some research).

I planned on having an HVAC person come in and do an inspection on our furnace before the move. After talking about it with a colleague, they mentioned that it's actually not necessary, and that the potential buyer would perform this inspection (by hiring their own person). I'm new to this, so what exactly is the protocol here?
I don't think there's any difference between Comfree and Grapevine but I would list it paying 2.5% to buyer agents (2.25% at a minimum but even at that, I think you might lose potential buyers. Some agents will not show prospective homes to their clients if they don't get paid 2.5%. IMO, 2% or less or flat fee to buyer agents will greatly reduce the number of people that come and see it. Doesn't mean that it won't sell but you are not maximizing your chances).

It's true that pretty much any buyer will do an inspection even if you have one but having one done beforehand saves you from surprises (i.e. lots of people are interested in your house, you get an offer conditional on inspection for $5k above asking and you accept it. They do their inspection and the house needs work and want $10k off the price or they walk away. By then you've lost your negotiating power). If it's a newer home, you don't need an inspection but if your house is older, I would recommend getting an pre-sale inspection done and having it available to prospective buyers).
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1114 posts
462 upvotes
@michelb , that was very informative, many thanks for your input. The house is a semi-detached built in 2011. So not old by any means.

I just didn't want to waste money on the inspection if the buyer was going to do it anyway :)
Jun 7, 2017
944 posts
678 upvotes
BC
michelb wrote: I don't think there's any difference between Comfree and Grapevine but I would list it paying 2.5% to buyer agents (2.25% at a minimum but even at that, I think you might lose potential buyers. Some agents will not show prospective homes to their clients if they don't get paid 2.5%. IMO, 2% or less or flat fee to buyer agents will greatly reduce the number of people that come and see it. Doesn't mean that it won't sell but you are not maximizing your chances).

It's true that pretty much any buyer will do an inspection even if you have one but having one done beforehand saves you from surprises (i.e. lots of people are interested in your house, you get an offer conditional on inspection for $5k above asking and you accept it. They do their inspection and the house needs work and want $10k off the price or they walk away. By then you've lost your negotiating power). If it's a newer home, you don't need an inspection but if your house is older, I would recommend getting an pre-sale inspection done and having it available to prospective buyers).
Totally disagree. Start with no commission. If your house is good and well priced it will sell itself. If an agent brings a serious buyer, you can discuss a *small* flat finders fee if it closes.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 6 guests)

canabiz