• Apr 18th, 2019 4:21 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 6, 2011
408 posts
133 upvotes
DogsWithJobs wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 9:05 am
The funny thing about that listing is the image they show is actually located at 1041 North River road down in overbrook.
One was listed on the market last summer (one of the end ones I believe) for around 1.2 mil.
No idea if/what it sold for though.
I guess they are just building a duplicate of that up in new Edinburgh.
Overbrook has such extreme price range, between very low to very high, depending on the street and which side of Vanier parkway. The city should split the Overbrook area in 2 zones or something.
Aug 6, 2011
408 posts
133 upvotes
StefanW499 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:42 am
As I have previously mentioned in this thread, I am going to be selling my executive townhome this year and have been following the market like a hawk... I don't know what is going on anymore with the pricing... Can town homes actually be selling for this much?

House 1

and

House 2
link to house 2 doesn't work anymore. What's its status?
Aug 6, 2011
408 posts
133 upvotes
stack1 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 3:19 pm
I live and work in Kanata, so while I know it is a suburb and far from downtown, I would pay a premium to live here just so my commute is short (currently about 10 min). For family life, everything we need (groceries, library, rec center, parks) is all within 5-10 min. I think others must feel the same which drives the prices up (high tech pays well, so there are plenty of paying customers)

There was a house listed in Richardson Ridge for over 1 million! Its not on MLS anymore, so I assume it sold, but I'd love to know how much it sold for! As much as I like Kanata, I still think that's crazy. Same with the 520+ towns. Yikes!
If I was working in Kanata and think I'd make my career there or in the West area, I'd also look for a house there as well. But my career and my wife's career in government is likely in central area, so we'll stick to central locations as much as possible. Currently I bus 7 min to my work, so I'm in heaven. Or walk or bike in nice weather. I can walk when traffic jam is intense.
I have an oversize backyard, but I don't care as much as my wife, who likes gardening. I'd choose commuting time over backyard size
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4468 posts
680 upvotes
Ottawa
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 9:57 am
link to house 2 doesn't work anymore. What's its status?
The second one sold for asking price (I had swapped the two in my previous comment (now corrected)).
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13850 posts
2696 upvotes
StefanW499 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:42 am
As I have previously mentioned in this thread, I am going to be selling my executive townhome this year and have been following the market like a hawk... I don't know what is going on anymore with the pricing... Can town homes actually be selling for this much?

House 1

and

House 2
A mailer I got the other day had townhouse listings in that range, but $430+ for 3 bedrooms and a row unit is very ambitious.

It's only 3 years old so it has that going for it. Hardwood on the main floor is pretty standard. The spiral staircase is nice.

But they don't even have a picture of the kitchen, laundry, or basement (even though it's finished). That's pretty lazy.

EDIT: the address is also a huge turnoff for any Chinese buyers since "4" is unlucky.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2268 posts
344 upvotes
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 1:24 pm
A mailer I got the other day had townhouse listings in that range, but $430+ for 3 bedrooms and a row unit is very ambitious.

It's only 3 years old so it has that going for it. Hardwood on the main floor is pretty standard. The spiral staircase is nice.

But they don't even have a picture of the kitchen, laundry, or basement (even though it's finished). That's pretty lazy.

EDIT: the address is also a huge turnoff for any Chinese buyers since "4" is unlucky.
To add, this is a FSBO listing as it is being listed by Purplebricks/Comfree, so the owner should have full control as to what picture get posted on line. And it looks like they omitted to mentioned in the description that they have a walkout/lookout basement which can be a big selling feature.

Yet, they focus it is on Meadowbreeze which is consider a major thorough way within the community, so street parking and backing out especially at this time of year can be a challenge.

One more thing, it doesn't look like they were very forward looking when they had their design appointment, going with the natural oak finish with their floors and cabinets make the house look dated or looks older than a 3 years old home.

On the other hand, picking is fairly slim, so the seller may get lucky. Remember, all it takes is one buyer to like the house in order for it to get sold.
Jun 11, 2006
213 posts
152 upvotes
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 10:18 am
If I was working in Kanata and think I'd make my career there or in the West area, I'd also look for a house there as well. But my career and my wife's career in government is likely in central area, so we'll stick to central locations as much as possible. Currently I bus 7 min to my work, so I'm in heaven. Or walk or bike in nice weather. I can walk when traffic jam is intense.
I have an oversize backyard, but I don't care as much as my wife, who likes gardening. I'd choose commuting time over backyard size
I used to live in the west end of Ottawa (not too far from Bayshore) in an older home with a massive lot (something like 60 x 120). The backyard was big enough for a pool (though we didn't have one) and then some. However, it faced South and was hot most of the time. I was hesitant when we bought it knowing that that meant more yard work, and it really did mean more yard work! We never did spend too much time in the backyard. For one thing, it faced South so it was hot much of time, and there were also massive hedges (which while providing great privacy -- which i loved), also meant alot of bugs. We never did get around to making a deck. It was a fixer though, and we spent alot of time doing renos and such. It wasn't so bad at the beginning as we didn't have kids at the time. We might still be living there if we didn't have a 3rd child. (house only had 1 full bath and was about 1700 sqft)

I did like that the houses all looked different. One of the bigger things for me was that it was an older neighborhood so we didn't see too many kids around and frequently we (after we had kids) were the only ones in the park. Since the suburbs are full of kids, we don't have that problem anymore. As the houses are newer, I now have a walk in closet and ensuite bath. There are pros and cons to both, but at this stage in my left, I vote suburbs all the way! As the kids grow up and leave, I could definitely see us moving back to be more central. At that point though, I am not sure I would want a detached house anymore, I'd be looking for something where I am walking distance to restaurants and other activities.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1840 posts
159 upvotes
Ottawa
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 1:24 pm

What do you guys think of the Caivan build in Orleans. Townhouse I am looking at is priced at $407,000 with 9'ft Ceilings, 3 stainless steel appliances, hardwood floor (main), Granite Kitchen Countertops as well as finished basement. Total house size is 2215 sq feet end unit. Is it worth it at that price? If you take out the basement how much sq feet do you think the house is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2268 posts
344 upvotes
audiorichard wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:01 am
I also think all builders are running full steam, simply check out the closing date, most of the new builds are now close in Mid-2020. Builders are now are being greedy on some of the townhouses. For the Cardel home development in Richardson Ridge, the builder is asking over $520k for their townhouses. To be honest, I don't really how Cardel come up with that price in that location. Since they are builder, they should know what they are doing. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/b ... -1.5020137

An additional 800 high paying jobs in Kanata. Who knows, in a couple of years, these $520k townhouse may seems like a bargain.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4468 posts
680 upvotes
Ottawa
William W wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 8:11 am

An additional 800 high paying jobs in Kanata. Who knows, in a couple of years, these $520k townhouse may seems like a bargain.
While I think this is great, having worked for several private IT companies in the area, the reality is that a couple of years from now, it might be just as likely (or perhaps even more) that Blackberry / QNX is laying off 1500 people. IMO, the surge in interest in recent years in Kanata RE has more to do with DND moving into ex-Nortel HQ than in private IT companies.
Jul 25, 2008
302 posts
172 upvotes
ottawa
michelb wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 8:19 am
While I think this is great, having worked for several private IT companies in the area, the reality is that a couple of years from now, it might be just as likely (or perhaps even more) that Blackberry / QNX is laying off 1500 people. IMO, the surge in interest in recent years in Kanata RE has more to do with DND moving into ex-Nortel HQ than in private IT companies.
there's a weird dynamic going on in tech right now because of US immigration restrictions. A ton of Indian and Chinese engineers are moving to Canada to get out of HB1 jail. I'm relatively confident that the talent will remain whether the company itself succeeds or not.
Aug 6, 2011
408 posts
133 upvotes
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 10:56 am
for anyone looking for a townhouse with reasonable "condo" fees 65$/month. But neighborhood a bit sketchy... good for rental?

asking 279,900
https://purplebricks.ca/on/ottawa-and-s ... nue-836205
It's back on the market , with higher price and hold back offers period. Good deal for any looking for a townhouse in the West, if the bidding war doesn't get too crazy...

https://purplebricks.ca/on/ottawa-and-s ... realtor.ca
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6399 posts
3590 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 3:27 pm
It's back on the market , with higher price and hold back offers period. Good deal for any looking for a townhouse in the West, if the bidding war doesn't get too crazy...

https://purplebricks.ca/on/ottawa-and-s ... realtor.ca
That would be a no thanks from me lol. We rented in that area for the first 9 months of living in Ottawa (and it was a 1 year lease - we hated things enough to get out). Not appealing.
Jan 20, 2008
210 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa
William W wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 8:11 am

There are still fewer people in Ottawa working in tech now than there were in 2000.

I found it funny how we like to pat ourselves on the back regarding Canadian tech, but other than Shopify and Blackberry, can anyone actually name a successful and large Canadian tech company?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2085 posts
1455 upvotes
masoud100 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 12:28 am
What do you guys think of the Caivan build in Orleans. Townhouse I am looking at is priced at $407,000 with 9'ft Ceilings, 3 stainless steel appliances, hardwood floor (main), Granite Kitchen Countertops as well as finished basement. Total house size is 2215 sq feet end unit. Is it worth it at that price? If you take out the basement how much sq feet do you think the house is.
How deep are the lots? I was originally quite interested in this community when I read 25 foot towns compared to the smaller standard that the rest of Ottawa build. But, when I looked at the plans the homes are not as deep. Made me wonder if the lots are not as deep. It’s great that most of the plans do not have 10 foot wide rooms like other towns, but I wonder I’d the towns wold just feel smaller overall. I wouldn’t bite without viewing a model home first.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

BigDurian, new936