Tags:
None
Aug 14, 2007
443 posts
196 upvotes
Ottawa
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 4:33 pm
How deep are the lots? I was originally quite interested in this community when I read 25 foot towns compared to the smaller standard that the rest of Ottawa build. But, when I looked at the plans the homes are not as deep. Made me wonder if the lots are not as deep. It’s great that most of the plans do not have 10 foot wide rooms like other towns, but I wonder I’d the towns wold just feel smaller overall. I wouldn’t bite without viewing a model home first.
It is Mattamy tactic called "Wide-lot", the lot is wider but not as deep. Now, even Orleans is selling townhouse over $400k?!?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1312 posts
373 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
rocurs wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 4:11 pm
There are still fewer people in Ottawa working in tech now than there were in 2000.

I found it funny how we like to pat ourselves on the back regarding Canadian tech, but other than Shopify and Blackberry, can anyone actually name a successful and large Canadian tech company?
Open Text, Constellation Software, Kinaxis, Descartes,Scalar,Quadbridge,Pythlan (might be one of the fastest growing companies in Ottawa)
May 23, 2017
365 posts
170 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 4:33 pm
How deep are the lots? I was originally quite interested in this community when I read 25 foot towns compared to the smaller standard that the rest of Ottawa build. But, when I looked at the plans the homes are not as deep. Made me wonder if the lots are not as deep. It’s great that most of the plans do not have 10 foot wide rooms like other towns, but I wonder I’d the towns wold just feel smaller overall. I wouldn’t bite without viewing a model home first.
It's definitely a marketing tactic since they emphasize the wide lots, without obviously mentioning the lot isn't nearly as deep (though it should be obvious from the floor plan). Not sure about the towns in Orleans but I think the lots are generally shortened by approx. the same amount that the floor plans are. (i.e. when I compared similar detached homes between Caivan and Minto, the Minto lots were 100' deep while Caivan was only 85' deep, and if you look at the depth of the house floorplan itself Caivan is also approx. 15' shorter. In other words, I expect the total driveway + backyard depth would be similar--where you are losing out on lot size is the interior of the house. Obviously all of these new builds do not nearly have as deep a lot as older houses, but that's another subject altogether. I personally don't mind that though since I don't need a huge yard or lawn--it's just more maintenance and will probably be wasted space for me. But for others I'm sure it's a dealbreaker.)

Anyways, IMO for two houses with the same square footage, I prefer having a wide/shallow lot instead of a narrow/deep lot. From the outside, the house appears nicer with more frontage, and you have some more breathing room between your neighbours. The neighbourhood itself looks much better when houses are spaced further apart instead of squished together. More roomy on the street too when you have cars parked along it. More lawn space to pile and distribute snow on in the winter. Maybe not possible for townhouses anyways, but for detached, you have more frontage to widen the driveway with interlock etc. for a potential extra parking spot. (Meanwhile, having a deeper floorplan impacts almost nothing when it comes to the outside of the house--except having a slightly longer walk to get to your backyard. I don't think the distance to your front/rear neighbours will be affected much since as I mentioned, the driveway + backyard depths should be similar.)

As for the interior, you get more windows/natural light coming into the house with the wider/shallower lot. I think a more "square"-shaped area will also seem more open/spacious than a thin/long rectangular room. I agree it would definitely be nice to see a model home for the towns though. (Caivan does have a model home for the detached which is similar in depth--though of course much wider so it is difficult to compare to a town, but I didn't feel the house wasn't "deep" enough at all. However, with the town it's possible it may end up feeling cramped.)
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1660 posts
673 upvotes
Ottawa
michelb wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 8:19 am
While I think this is great, having worked for several private IT companies in the area, the reality is that a couple of years from now, it might be just as likely (or perhaps even more) that Blackberry / QNX is laying off 1500 people. IMO, the surge in interest in recent years in Kanata RE has more to do with DND moving into ex-Nortel HQ than in private IT companies.
True but the surge seems to be actually pretty evenly distributed. East, South and Central also doing very well.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2552 posts
1875 upvotes
jk9088 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 10:56 pm

As for the interior, you get more windows/natural light coming into the house with the wider/shallower lot. I think a more "square"-shaped area will also seem more open/spacious than a thin/long rectangular room. I agree it would definitely be nice to see a model home for the towns though. (Caivan does have a model home for the detached which is similar in depth--though of course much wider so it is difficult to compare to a town, but I didn't feel the house wasn't "deep" enough at all. However, with the town it's possible it may end up feeling cramped.)
I toured the model home in Orleans. It reminded me of a home plan that would have been built in the 1960s - 70s era. There were lots of things about the model that we didn't like and so we were unwilling to consider the towns without walking through a model.
May 23, 2017
365 posts
170 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 12:46 pm
I toured the model home in Orleans. It reminded me of a home plan that would have been built in the 1960s - 70s era. There were lots of things about the model that we didn't like and so we were unwilling to consider the towns without walking through a model.
Definitely personal preferences are a big part of house-buying--I can certainly see how Caivan's floorplans (which are quite different from other builders) wouldn't appeal to some people. Actually the floorplan isn't "perfect" to me either, but then again I can always find things I wish I could change in these standard builder floorplans (no matter which builder it is), so short of spending tons of money on a custom-built home (which is out of my budget range) these are trade-offs I'll just have to live with. But yeah, if you didn't like their detached home I definitely agree you made the right decision not going for the towns without seeing a model home.

Just out of curiosity, would you mind elaborating on which features of the house you didn't like? (I don't think I've ever actually been inside a 60s/70s era house so I didn't know what aspects you were referring to.)
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2552 posts
1875 upvotes
jk9088 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 5:29 pm

Just out of curiosity, would you mind elaborating on which features of the house you didn't like? (I don't think I've ever actually been inside a 60s/70s era house so I didn't know what aspects you were referring to.)
The 60s/70s era comment referred to the house being a wide but narrow rectangle. Today's houses tend to be longer than wide - Caivan's was wider than long.

There were several design elements that we did not like. IIRC, the staircase had many tight turns with narrow triangle shaped steps. I don't like those as they are a serious tripping issue. The stairs going to the finished basement felt really tight. The model home had the upgraded kitchen and we felt that the island formed a huge working barrier between the appliances. We all tend to want to work from one side of an island and we felt that we would literally be banging into the island trying to work in the kitchen.

Upstairs felt like a lot of long, narrow hallways. The master was large and seemed to have a lot of wasted space. The ensuite was nice, but the large window would require some sort of permanent privacy. We noticed that the shower doors in the washrooms all appeared to have a fixed portion at the rear end of the shower and the moveable portion at the front of the shower. This would mean you would have to enter the shower directly under the shower head and I wouldn't like that. The shower doors used were also very heavy to push and daily use could become a problem. If I had been interested in one of their homes, I would have had to get clarification on whether the shower setup could be changed.

Our interest was with their corner lot home. We liked the floor plan and the options to make some changes with the layout. Ultimately, I didn't like the lot locations and didn't like the pricing. In Orleans, it looks like they will be building towns off of Innes and this means that until the areas east of the development are built up by others, you will enter the community off of busy Innes and drive through streets built with towns to reach singles. Drive through almost any street with towns and you will encounter lots of on street parking and this can be a problem in winter trying to navigate snow filled streets.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1199 posts
214 upvotes
ORLEANS
I’m looking for a home in Orléans. Budget is max $400,000. I think I can only afford a townhome end unit preferred. But it seems like I cant afford any new build townhomes from mattamy and minto etc? Is used townhomes my only option?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1312 posts
373 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Palidino wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 12:16 pm
I’m looking for a home in Orléans. Budget is max $400,000. I think I can only afford a townhome end unit preferred. But it seems like I cant afford any new build townhomes from mattamy and minto etc? Is used townhomes my only option?
Mattamy will have quick delivery homes under 400k at some point in Orleans. They currently do in Kanata
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1906 posts
171 upvotes
Ottawa
nikels21 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 1:05 pm
Mattamy will have quick delivery homes under 400k at some point in Orleans. They currently do in Kanata
Which Matyamy homes will have quick move in? I thought they sold all their Mattamy Summerside West homes months ago. I did hear they will begin Mattamy Summerside South homes in April though if that is what you are referring to.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1312 posts
373 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
masoud100 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 7:47 pm
Which Matyamy homes will have quick move in? I thought they sold all their Mattamy Summerside West homes months ago. I did hear they will begin Mattamy Summerside South homes in April though if that is what you are referring to.
Exactly, next phase of Summerside should have some quick deliveries at some point if you are patient
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4004 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
What are some of the the best builders in Barrhaven?
because ur mom said so
May 23, 2017
365 posts
170 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 9:14 am
The 60s/70s era comment referred to the house being a wide but narrow rectangle. Today's houses tend to be longer than wide - Caivan's was wider than long.

There were several design elements that we did not like. IIRC, the staircase had many tight turns with narrow triangle shaped steps. I don't like those as they are a serious tripping issue. The stairs going to the finished basement felt really tight. The model home had the upgraded kitchen and we felt that the island formed a huge working barrier between the appliances. We all tend to want to work from one side of an island and we felt that we would literally be banging into the island trying to work in the kitchen.

Upstairs felt like a lot of long, narrow hallways. The master was large and seemed to have a lot of wasted space. The ensuite was nice, but the large window would require some sort of permanent privacy. We noticed that the shower doors in the washrooms all appeared to have a fixed portion at the rear end of the shower and the moveable portion at the front of the shower. This would mean you would have to enter the shower directly under the shower head and I wouldn't like that. The shower doors used were also very heavy to push and daily use could become a problem. If I had been interested in one of their homes, I would have had to get clarification on whether the shower setup could be changed.

Our interest was with their corner lot home. We liked the floor plan and the options to make some changes with the layout. Ultimately, I didn't like the lot locations and didn't like the pricing. In Orleans, it looks like they will be building towns off of Innes and this means that until the areas east of the development are built up by others, you will enter the community off of busy Innes and drive through streets built with towns to reach singles. Drive through almost any street with towns and you will encounter lots of on street parking and this can be a problem in winter trying to navigate snow filled streets.
Thanks for the comments, it's nice to get perspectives on features that may be problematic but which I've never thought about myself. I'll definitely have to look into some of those issues at my design centre appointment. I also never knew the 60s/70s houses tended to have the wider floorplans...interesting, and I wonder why builders moved away from that trend.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4821 posts
925 upvotes
Ottawa
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 3:27 pm
It's back on the market , with higher price and hold back offers period. Good deal for any looking for a townhouse in the West, if the bidding war doesn't get too crazy...

https://purplebricks.ca/on/ottawa-and-s ... realtor.ca
Those typically sell for low 200s (last sale was in November for $210) although there was one that sold for $270 last August (end unit). Price would likely depend a lot on the condition and any upgrades and renovations which it does sound like it has but offhand, it seems overpriced to me (it was $8k less two weeks ago and is assessed at around $230k (although you really can't base yourself too much on assessed value).
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4821 posts
925 upvotes
Ottawa
fogetmylogin wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 4:02 am
True but the surge seems to be actually pretty evenly distributed. East, South and Central also doing very well.
I would respectfully disagree - if you look at 5 years return over the whole city, most areas have not gone up that much.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)