Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13850 posts
2697 upvotes
StefanW499 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 9:03 am
I love the fact that we keep getting updates in this thread but I am starting to think a separate thread should be made to handle all the school talk. Let's start seeing some interesting places/prices and discuss where the market in Ottawa is going :)
I don't mind the school talk as it's a factor in real estate. Just like the previous pages talked about politics.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Aug 6, 2011
408 posts
133 upvotes
William W wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 5:51 pm
For those who is looking for a townhome as a rental investment, the location of this one can't be beat. Right across from Hurdman, but only slightly more expensive than the burbs.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2044 ... alta-vista
I love this location! I can tell you this location is not limited to tenants working in the federal public service. Ottawa U, Hospital, Carleton U in one fast 1 bus. Some tenants go to this area because they're priced out from downtown.

I think this town is better because of 3 bedrooms, but may need some updates, which is easy to do, but it's so easy to rent regardless updated or not. I'm surprised it's not sold yet.
https://www.royallepage.ca/en/property/ ... ls1142215/
Oct 2, 2017
542 posts
359 upvotes
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 8:53 am
I love this location! I can tell you this location is not limited to tenants working in the federal public service. Ottawa U, Hospital, Carleton U in one fast 1 bus. Some tenants go to this area because they're priced out from downtown.

I think this town is better because of 3 bedrooms, but may need some updates, which is easy to do, but it's so easy to rent regardless updated or not. I'm surprised it's not sold yet.
it's too expensive
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
2268 posts
344 upvotes
cyberfreak123 wrote:

The one you show is not bad either, the reason why I like the one across from Hurdman better is the one at Sienna private, it is right across from a low income housing development and the Alta Vista Towers.
Aug 14, 2007
403 posts
164 upvotes
Ottawa
cyberfreak123 wrote:

The location is great, but the property itself is pretty old. For the same price, you can buy a brand new townhouse in Barrhaven/Kanata. At the end, it is depend on where do you want to put your eggs.
Jun 23, 2017
548 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto, ON
William W wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 9:16 am
The one you show is not bad either, the reason why I like the one across from Hurdman better is the one at Sienna private, it is right across from a low income housing development and the Alta Vista Towers.
i like that Sienna is a short walk over to WalMart!
Aug 6, 2011
408 posts
133 upvotes
audiorichard wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 10:00 am
The location is great, but the property itself is pretty old. For the same price, you can buy a brand new townhouse in Barrhaven/Kanata. At the end, it is depend on where do you want to put your eggs.
It comes down to location, not so much for the building itself. Near downtown, there's not much land left to develop new builds. The way I see it, resale competing with other resales. A house can be updated, but the location, you can't do anything. new builds (infills) are very expensive. The number of detached houses with generous land are decreasing over time, with all the infills, condo, townhouses development replacing old detached houses. In the suburbs, land is not an issue yet. new builds competing with resale. Supply can be created as demands rise.
I work in downtown and live nearby, so I'm biased to downtown lifestyle (easy commuting) and investing. So for about the same price , with some trade off on space and older building, I'd buy a house in central location over suburb. But I can see from this forum that investing in suburbs have been lucrative for some as well.
Aug 14, 2007
403 posts
164 upvotes
Ottawa
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 10:30 am
It comes down to location, not so much for the building itself. Near downtown, there's not much land left to develop new builds. The way I see it, resale competing with other resales. A house can be updated, but the location, you can't do anything. new builds (infills) are very expensive.
In the suburbs, land is not an issue yet. new builds competing with resale. Supply can be created as demands rise.
How do you compare with this new built?

https://mattamyhomes.com/ottawa/communi ... n-end.aspx

Both location close to Hospital, but the new built is at least 20-30 years younger. I am not saying one is better than the other, I just want to hear how people think. You know, I want to learn from other investors to open up my mind.
Dec 4, 2016
998 posts
380 upvotes
audiorichard wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 10:50 am

Both location close to Hospital, but the new built is at least 20-30 years younger. I am not saying one is better than the other, I just want to hear how people think. You know, I want to learn from other investors to open up my mind.
Wateridge village is quite far from downtown, if you count actual commuting time, as it won't have LRT and traffic is pretty bad. By hospital, do you mean the Monfort? That's not the same as the general, which is much bigger. On the other hand, the houses near Hurdman is close to too many older apartment buildings and community housing. The one on Sienna private is close to Alta Vista towers, which seems to have a bad reputation.
Aug 6, 2011
408 posts
133 upvotes
audiorichard wrote:

First the price is similar. But the WATERIDGE VILLAGE is further away, it's in another location. It's close to the Montford hospital. It's not in the same league as the General Hospital, where the Ottawa U Healthcare campus has an expansion plan in the future. Also, I see stacked townhouses? are there condo fees/rules? I'm not a big fan of those. I don't see any plan for LRT or fast transit in the Wateridge area. Besides that, I see it's central. I'm curious about the price for the bigger houses, for my future home.
Aug 6, 2011
408 posts
133 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 11:11 am
Wateridge village is quite far from downtown, if you count actual commuting time, as it won't have LRT and traffic is pretty bad. By hospital, do you mean the Monfort? That's not the same as the general, which is much bigger. On the other hand, the houses near Hurdman is close to too many older apartment buildings and community housing. The one on Sienna private is close to Alta Vista towers, which seems to have a bad reputation.
With the new CHMC program for the first time buyer, I expect higher demand for new builts in general, including Wateridge, even if it's a bit further from downtown, but it's still central. it's a matter of price. too bad I'm not qualified as a first time buyer
Nov 10, 2014
91 posts
57 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
audiorichard wrote:

Both have their pros and cons. I personally prefer the Wateridge new build. Although the location is not as good as the other towns', Wateridge's location is quite good on its own right. It's close to downtown, and right by the NRC and Montfort. Public transit doesn't seem too bad either. Wateridge prevails for me because of less maintenance (on average), and the builder/ Tarion is responsible for major warranty items for 7 years.

Looking at exit strategy: With a new build, you can easily sell around the ~10 year mark after the warranty expires, but before it requires major maintenance (roof, windows, etc.). With an older detached house, you have the option of doing all the updates or letting it go to shit while milking it for all its worth before selling it as an infill. With an older town, your only option is to update and maintain the homes to a high standard for resale or to continue attracting quality tenants.

If you are considering Wateridge, look into their newly released Village Towns. They have 2 parking spaces (one in garage and one in driveway) instead of 1 like the rear lane towns. Additional parking space may be a big plus in attracting couples who both drive to work.
Nov 10, 2014
91 posts
57 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
cyberfreak123 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 11:44 am
With the new CHMC program for the first time buyer, I expect higher demand for new builts in general, including Wateridge, even if it's a bit further from downtown, but it's still central. it's a matter of price. too bad I'm not qualified as a first time buyer
Even if you qualified, would you want to share equity in real estate with CMHC?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)