Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:53 pm
Dec 9, 2017
115 posts
52 upvotes
ghasita wrote: It got sold for 675.
Wow, I'm just becoming more and more shocked of the state of our market right now. I was not able to afford in Kanata, and ended up buying in Manotick. I'm hoping that there will be some future developments in that area within the next couple years.

Would anyone happen to know if there are any future plans for Manotick and/or RSS area by way of commercial buildings? A gym? LOL, wishful thinking maybe?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2014
1278 posts
3034 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Anyone know how the precon sales did this morning?
Mattamy's prices for Half Moon Bay and Claridge prices for RSS seem aggressive. I noticed that Caivain's Half Moon Bay lots are not selling out on the opening day. Has the equilibrium between price increases and demand been reached?
Mar 29, 2016
209 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
dngyn420 wrote: Wow, I'm just becoming more and more shocked of the state of our market right now. I was not able to afford in Kanata, and ended up buying in Manotick. I'm hoping that there will be some future developments in that area within the next couple years.

Would anyone happen to know if there are any future plans for Manotick and/or RSS area by way of commercial buildings? A gym? LOL, wishful thinking maybe?
City Plan: https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/docum ... aft_en.pdf

RSS don't have a Tim Hortons yet - so not seeing of any potential of a GYM anytime soon.
IMO, prices are higher in RSS due to developers charging extra to cover some of the cost for future stage 2 LRT @ Earl Armstrong/Limebank.
Sep 22, 2014
448 posts
189 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Took the kids (4 and 2) to the museum of science and tech today. We walked through the little micro house on display and I told my kids that this is their future because they're going to be priced out when they're older. It's a bit sad to think about but at least we will have the capacity to help them.
Mar 20, 2017
754 posts
1846 upvotes
gerogesin wrote: Took the kids (4 and 2) to the museum of science and tech today. We walked through the little micro house on display and I told my kids that this is their future because they're going to be priced out when they're older. It's a bit sad to think about but at least we will have the capacity to help them.
A good RESP and instilling an awareness of just how big the world is will prepare them better for the future than a crappy Pressboard house 2 feet away from their neighbours in a part of Canada where it’s frozen over 6 months out of the year. I hope my kids travel the world after school and get a good and rewarding job, somewhere in the world where it’s comfortable and they can afford a good life.
Dec 8, 2013
887 posts
1347 upvotes
GaryR28626 wrote: Lot of upcoming developments on March Road North (Kanata North Urban Expansion), I.e closer to high tech area.

Developers: Minto, Valecraft, Brigil, Uniform

City plan:

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image ... 8-0109.PDF

Kanata North community design plan:
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/docum ... cdp_en.pdf
Any idea or guesses as to when Phase 1 lots will be released in those developments?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
gerogesin wrote: Took the kids (4 and 2) to the museum of science and tech today. We walked through the little micro house on display and I told my kids that this is their future because they're going to be priced out when they're older. It's a bit sad to think about but at least we will have the capacity to help them.
You're kidding....

Is this what we've become? Whatever happened to "Let Them Be Little?"
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2014
1278 posts
3034 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
skeet50 wrote: You're kidding....

Probably said in jest to the kids. I understand where the sentiment is coming from though.

My partner and I are millennials, and saw our friends and peers from Toronto getting completely priced out of the city that they grew up in. Professional couple earning ~150k+ household income will struggle to buy a 1 bed condo, and a freehold is almost certainly out of reach unless the parents kick in a sizable amount for the down payment. In the last few years, getting priced out phenomenon is expanding to cities like KW, London, and Ottawa.

If trends continue (this is a big if), the only realistic way to own real estate in city centers will be to inherit one from parents. This is largely the case in many cities across the world like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, London, etc where real estate prices are completely detached from local incomes.
Banned
Dec 4, 2019
68 posts
6 upvotes
Has anyone invested in Zen flats at Sundane by Claridge in Findlay creek area, how is the area and the construction?
Sep 22, 2014
448 posts
189 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
skeet50 wrote: You're kidding....

Why are you so butt hurt over this?
Not a true statement? Or do you disagree?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
Lol, if I were taking my daughter to the museum and saw the little micro house, I would be complaining that houses in Ottawa are way too cheap and my condo has appreciated less than 1% above inflation for the 10 years since I bought it. Compared to other major cities in the world, Ottawa is incredibly affordable and still has way too much land to build.
Aug 22, 2016
626 posts
408 upvotes
Is there a way to find the floor plans from the past say 2008-2010 from builder claridge? I am looking for floor plans of different houses they built in Kanata Lakes, West Pointe, Briar Ridge areas. When I check these houses that come on resale, they all look same from exterior but inside the layouts and the floor plans are entirely different. I tried from their website and sent an email to the contact from their website but no response. Some of the models they built around that time are Marcelle, Thames, Sofia, Copenhagen, Newcastle.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1722 posts
1559 upvotes
arbytor wrote: Is there a way to find the floor plans from the past say 2008-2010 from builder claridge? I am looking for floor plans of different houses they built in Kanata Lakes, West Pointe, Briar Ridge areas. When I check these houses that come on resale, they all look same from exterior but inside the layouts and the floor plans are entirely different. I tried from their website and sent an email to the contact from their website but no response. Some of the models they built around that time are Marcelle, Thames, Sofia, Copenhagen, Newcastle.
I have physical copies of Claridge homes built between 1997-2003 in Kanata Heritage Hills back when my parents bought their first home in Canada. The Newcastle was their house lol. I have all their single floorplans from that time. I have the Thames and Copenhagen as well.

You can PM me and I'll send you some phone photos of the floorplans I have. Just wait until this weekend because I'm prepping for an interview I have this Thursday.
Aug 22, 2016
626 posts
408 upvotes
Zero Hope wrote: I have physical copies of Claridge homes built between 1997-2003 in Kanata Heritage Hills back when my parents bought their first home in Canada. The Newcastle was their house lol. I have all their single floorplans from that time. I have the Thames and Copenhagen as well.

You can PM me and I'll send you some phone photos of the floorplans I have. Just wait until this weekend because I'm prepping for an interview I have this Thursday.

Thank you. this is awesome. When one of their built houses Thames model came in market for resale, I loved it and went into bidding war but lost it :( I just thought my bid was too high and got surprized when someone out bid me.
I want to gear up a bit for my next but dont want to pay way too much.
Oct 16, 2017
52 posts
47 upvotes
Hi everyone.

Am thinking of purchasing a new build in the area; but would be open to an existing build. This is not an investment property; my wife and I moved here in September and seems we will be staying awhile and are looking for a place of our own. We are renting for now.

Our budget is probably somewhere up to $600k, which I realize limits the freeholds we could potentially purchase. We are in the Nepean area around Baseline/Erindale which we really like as its pretty convenient to go either East or West; but a freehold here may be out of our price range. Are there any recommendations for real estate agents in the area who might be able to help us out? I mention new build because we would be fine waiting 1-1.5 years while it is built. We are very happy with the rental, but obviously want something of our own.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
gerogesin wrote: I was looking at the infusion homes and i just spilled some coffee when I saw that the two lower interior 2bdrm units start at 305k.
Hmm, looks like Minto released new units, and the website doesn't say sold out. Perhaps we found a price ceiling for stacked towns in Kanata? Or maybe the newly released development application in Kanata North is causing people to wait on the sidelines?
Aug 6, 2011
599 posts
267 upvotes
sdutta6 wrote: Hi everyone.

Am thinking of purchasing a new build in the area; but would be open to an existing build. This is not an investment property; my wife and I moved here in September and seems we will be staying awhile and are looking for a place of our own. We are renting for now.

Our budget is probably somewhere up to $600k, which I realize limits the freeholds we could potentially purchase. We are in the Nepean area around Baseline/Erindale which we really like as its pretty convenient to go either East or West; but a freehold here may be out of our price range. Are there any recommendations for real estate agents in the area who might be able to help us out? I mention new build because we would be fine waiting 1-1.5 years while it is built. We are very happy with the rental, but obviously want something of our own.

Thanks!
Your budget allows to buy a very decent freehold in Nepean and the vicinity, from a townhouse to semi and maybe detached. Just expect it'll not be a new house. The problem these days is more very low inventory and choices in the resale market.
One area that I find nice near your rental is called Central Park, few years ago, a simple detached could be found under 500K, I'm not sure these days... Another nice area is Centerpointe, a little bit more expensive. All these areas have not so old houses.
For new houses, you'll have to go further in the suburbs.
Oct 16, 2017
52 posts
47 upvotes
cyberfreak123 wrote: Your budget allows to buy a very decent freehold in Nepean and the vicinity, from a townhouse to semi and maybe detached. Just expect it'll not be a new house. The problem these days is more very low inventory and choices in the resale market.
One area that I find nice near your rental is called Central Park, few years ago, a simple detached could be found under 500K, I'm not sure these days... Another nice area is Centerpointe, a little bit more expensive. All these areas have not so old houses.
For new houses, you'll have to go further in the suburbs.
Thanks! I should mention while I like the area, we would be willing to move out a bit. Maybe west up to Bells Corners/Crystal Beach, East to Alta Vista (though, don't know much about Orleans area). On the Eastern side living up near the airport may not be so bad in the Hunt Club or other areas? Not sure if anyone has experience there?

My wife is working in Nepean, we see new houses in Kanata, Barrhaven for example but not sure about the commute from there? I have my own consulting company so work from home so am not really worried about the commute.

Yes I am not sure about a detached, but a corner townhouse or semi should be feasible I believe?
Aug 22, 2016
626 posts
408 upvotes
sdutta6 wrote: Hi everyone.

Thanks!

sdutta6 wrote: Thanks! I should mention while I like the area, we would be willing to move out a bit. Maybe west up to Bells Corners/Crystal Beach, East to Alta Vista (though, don't know much about Orleans area). On the Eastern side living up near the airport may not be so bad in the Hunt Club or other areas? Not sure if anyone has experience there?

My wife is working in Nepean, we see new houses in Kanata, Barrhaven for example but not sure about the commute from there? I have my own consulting company so work from home so am not really worried about the commute.

Yes I am not sure about a detached, but a corner townhouse or semi should be feasible I believe?

For a budget of 600K, I would buy a detached house. It is a very tight market in Ottawa but it has not attained the super crazy status yet. For a brand new house you have to go 10-15kms west or south or east. Just walk to any sales office and tell them you have 600K budget and looking for a townhouse. You will make the sales team very happy.

resale you can get close to your current location but you have to be ready to bid and grab the opportunity. It is a unique market, house sells for the market price, if you know what price the seller bought the house for and the comparable sales around that house, you can give a very close shot. Its game of patience. You can easily outbid all with that budget for a 3 bedroom detached single garage house that is fully renovated.

The most important decisions you have to take before you dive in
1. What neighbourhood you want to buy your house and stay in it for at least 3 years
2. New or resale
3. What is bare minimum you expect in the house you want to buy.
Oct 16, 2017
52 posts
47 upvotes
arbytor wrote: For a budget of 600K, I would buy a detached house. It is a very tight market in Ottawa but it has not attained the super crazy status yet. For a brand new house you have to go 10-15kms west or south or east. Just walk to any sales office and tell them you have 600K budget and looking for a townhouse. You will make the sales team very happy.

resale you can get close to your current location but you have to be ready to bid and grab the opportunity. It is a unique market, house sells for the market price, if you know what price the seller bought the house for and the comparable sales around that house, you can give a very close shot. Its game of patience. You can easily outbid all with that budget for a 3 bedroom detached single garage house that is fully renovated.

The most important decisions you have to take before you dive in
1. What neighbourhood you want to buy your house and stay in it for at least 3 years
2. New or resale
3. What is bare minimum you expect in the house you want to buy.
Ideally, I of course want detached. Based on the discussion and reviewing realtor.ca I wasn't sure if this was a realistic possibility.
If realistic to get a detached 3 bedroom fully renovated for 600k, that would definitely be what I would want to focus on. I am not sure if this is possible with a new build (seems doubtful?)

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)