Real Estate

Ottawa Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 8:01 pm
Aug 14, 2007
524 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, seems like flooding will become very common in Ottawa. It is one of the risk should factor into real estate investment in Ottawa.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7075 posts
4225 upvotes
Victoria, BC
audiorichard wrote: Well, seems like flooding will become very common in Ottawa. It is one of the risk should factor into real estate investment in Ottawa.
In a few areas. I don't know anyone personally affected, but neither us nor any of our friends live in those spots.
Apr 25, 2019
172 posts
184 upvotes
Ontario
get ready to pay higher home insurance in 2020.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1921 posts
215 upvotes
GaryR28626 wrote: get ready to pay higher home insurance in 2020.
Curious on what people are paying ? I was paying around $1500 for a 4-plex . It's around $2200 since I had to switch insurance due to a claim
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3459 posts
1217 upvotes
Ottawa
GaryR28626 wrote: get ready to pay higher home insurance in 2020.
I hope not. I'm on a hill so flooding isn't a problem. However climate change brings all kinds of extreme weather, so we need to watch out for tornadoes and other bad weather events. Disappointed Face (We pay $813 for home insurance, up $200 since 2016 since we've had some renos done)
May 23, 2017
836 posts
582 upvotes
audiorichard wrote: Well, seems like flooding will become very common in Ottawa. It is one of the risk should factor into real estate investment in Ottawa.
How should we make sure of this? Is it safe as long as the house isn't located inside a floodplain according to the geo Ottawa map?

There are a few new developments built on former floodplain land that has since been rezoned to non-floodplain, would you say these have any risk or does the city do its due diligence when updating the map?

I've mostly heard of only communities near the Ottawa River flooding. Any risk with houses built near the smaller rivers throughout the city? I've also heard that most are older ones located within the floodplain and nowadays the city has more stringent rules so they no longer allow development in risky areas (so newer houses should be safe?). Any truth to this? It does seem to me that I never hear about the newer developments flooding despite the fact that many are built on former "swamp land" or are located beside smaller rivers.
Aug 14, 2007
524 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa
jk9088 wrote: How should we make sure of this? Is it safe as long as the house isn't located inside a floodplain according to the geo Ottawa map?

There are a few new developments built on former floodplain land that has since been rezoned to non-floodplain, would you say these have any risk or does the city do its due diligence when updating the map?

I've mostly heard of only communities near the Ottawa River flooding. Any risk with houses built near the smaller rivers throughout the city? I've also heard that most are older ones located within the floodplain and nowadays the city has more stringent rules so they no longer allow development in risky areas (so newer houses should be safe?). Any truth to this? It does seem to me that I never hear about the newer developments flooding despite the fact that many are built on former "swamp land" or are located beside smaller rivers.
This is just my 2 cents. Every risk comes with a price, it depends on how you evaluate the risk, everybody is doing it differently. For example, I expect a property beside a gas station will have some discounts, but the discount rate can be very different for every potential buyers.

The floodplain map model is build based on one in every hundred year event, but we have experienced two events within three years period. Due to the climate changes, I can foresee flooding may happen more often than before. As you said, there are new development built on former floodplain land, people are talking about it and it is on CBC news. Both city and builders say it is fine to built houses on former floodplain land, but if something happen, do you think house owners can get 100% back from city or builder? do we able to get flooding insurance from insurance company? As a investor, I don't mind to purchase a property within the floodplain land, it is all depend on the discount rate.

For the new development built on former floodplain area, do the builder selling it much cheaper than other development? Are you ok to sleep in the former floodplain land? I see the builder is selling 2-4% discount compare with other builders in the same area, but is it enough to cover the risk you may face? every people see it differently, as some people are willing to pay the same price to sleep beside a gas station.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1857 posts
882 upvotes
jk9088 wrote: How should we make sure of this? Is it safe as long as the house isn't located inside a floodplain according to the geo Ottawa map?

Going back a few pages, I think people were saying the Caivan new builds in Barrhaven came with sump pumps? The new builds in Kanata tend to be going further south, and quite far from Ottawa River.
Aug 14, 2007
524 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa
BlueSolstice wrote: Going back a few pages, I think people were saying the Caivan new builds in Barrhaven came with sump pumps? The new builds in Kanata tend to be going further south, and quite far from Ottawa River.
Flooding is getting worse and worse, I am surprise to see some area get impacted even it is not a floodplain land, check out northern Westboro.

I guess sump pumps only work if there are minor flooding, but for the flooding we experienced, I don't like it will work. The issue is water need to go lower ground.
Feb 18, 2010
880 posts
349 upvotes
Greely
BlueSolstice wrote: Going back a few pages, I think people were saying the Caivan new builds in Barrhaven came with sump pumps? The new builds in Kanata tend to be going further south, and quite far from Ottawa River.
I'm not sure if this link was posted or not. Caivan CBC

You can use this tool to see where the low elevations are in the area. topo chart
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1857 posts
882 upvotes
old sparks wrote: I'm not sure if this link was posted or not. Caivan CBC

You can use this tool to see where the low elevations are in the area. topo chart
Thank you for posting this link. I've not seen it. The following line doesn't give me the warm fuzzies: "Present-day engineering and planning takes into account flood elevations, sump pumps, and stormwater management drainage, said Cairo" Basically they build in flood plains, and then install sump pump + stormwater management. Given Ottawa's relatively low prices, I'll pass.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3943 posts
431 upvotes
House around the corner from us in Stittsville just sold within six hours, $20k over asking. $589k'ish for a 1700 sq ft double garage home. Insanity.
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3066 posts
578 upvotes
Does anyone have insight to recent sales in Kanata/Stittsville? I see a lot of listings for $350-400k, but not sure what these are selling for.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3943 posts
431 upvotes
blackdragon12 wrote: Does anyone have insight to recent sales in Kanata/Stittsville? I see a lot of listings for $350-400k, but not sure what these are selling for.
Anecdotally... stuff in my neighbourhood seems to go quickly. This is Fairwinds, near the CTC. Agent told us the average time on market for a detached single car garage is about 15 days (I think), longest has been 33 days this year. The townhomes go quickly, bigger detached not as quick but they do move.
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3066 posts
578 upvotes
mself084 wrote: Anecdotally... stuff in my neighbourhood seems to go quickly. This is Fairwinds, near the CTC. Agent told us the average time on market for a detached single car garage is about 15 days (I think), longest has been 33 days this year. The townhomes go quickly, bigger detached not as quick but they do move.
Thanks. The reason I ask is because I see a lot of towns popping up, but don't know what they're actually closing for. Would be good to see if it's at, above, or below asking to get a better idea of market health.

Thread Information

There are currently 13 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 8 guests)

splatqa, MikeMOON2, ilusa, William W, lolbeast