Ottawa Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2020 9:52 am
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10125 posts
3226 upvotes
Ottawa
If you don't have a problem playing condo fees then you there are plenty of condo townhouses/stacked terrace homes in Kanata (primarily Bridlewood or Katimatik areas) for less than $230K as well.

Also don't forget Bells Corners, it's a stone's throw from the Nortel campus and is very close to both major highways (417 and 416) as well as Kanata, Bayshore and Baseline for all the amenities.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I'm realllllllly looking to avoid condo fees; such a waste of money to me, but no, I wouldn't be completely against them if they were low (like $40 per month).

Also, I'm looking for something in the area of the Nortel campus and then branching out from there; I have no problem with Bells Corners if the price is right.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
William W wrote: No, the ones that they put on specials. http://www.mattamyhomes.com/Ottawa/Comm ... -Homes.php

$224,990, and it comes with 3 piece Stainless Steel Appliances, Granite counter top and $5k decor center credit.
Cool! Thanks.

I've been pre-approved at $206,000 though and my deposit would be making that purchase pretty close. I assume their discounted houses are take-it-or-leave-it pricing?
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10125 posts
3226 upvotes
Ottawa
CWatson87 wrote: Cool! Thanks.

I've been pre-approved at $206,000 though and my deposit would be making that purchase pretty close. I assume their discounted houses are take-it-or-leave-it pricing?
I think so, that price already represents a substantial discount from the original price. You maybe able to negotiate on the upgrades but it will be tough to get Mattamy to drop it further.

If you are pre-approved for $206K, suggest you narrow your search for properties that are slightly under that figure. Be prepared to budget around 1.5% of the purchase price for closing fees (lawyer fees, taxes, inspection if it's an older home)

Don't forget the appliances, windows treatment, furniture, electronics (if you don't already have most of those) for the new place. Things can add up fairly quickly.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
canabiz wrote: I think so, that price already represents a substantial discount from the original price. You maybe able to negotiate on the upgrades but it will be tough to get Mattamy to drop it further.

If you are pre-approved for $206K, suggest you narrow your search for properties that are slightly under that figure. Be prepared to budget around 1.5% of the purchase price for closing fees (lawyer fees, taxes, inspection if it's an older home)

Don't forget the appliances, windows treatment, furniture, electronics (if you don't already have most of those) for the new place. Things can add up fairly quickly.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10125 posts
3226 upvotes
Ottawa
CWatson87 wrote: Thanks! I appreciate it.
No worry, glad to help when I can as I have learnt a ton from this forum.

Also don't forget things like A/C, lawnmower, trimmer, dehumidifier etc. You will learn to appreciate Kijiji :)
[removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
canabiz wrote: No worry, glad to help when I can as I have learnt a ton from this forum.

Also don't forget things like A/C, lawnmower, trimmer, dehumidifier etc. You will learn to appreciate Kijiji :)
Yep! I already have most from renting a townhouse. I'm trying to avoid condo fees but that doesn't seem possible in my price range.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2444 posts
868 upvotes
CWatson87 wrote: Yep! I already have most from renting a townhouse. I'm trying to avoid condo fees but that doesn't seem possible in my price range.
Buy a little further out? 2 beds available freehold 25 mins west on the 417, I'm sure in other places too! 417 is 4 lane to Arnprior now, and most of the traffic is past Kanata.

Not ideal if you need to be in the city every day, but... condo fees? Ugh :)

*Edit* Available waay under $200k
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
daverobev wrote: Buy a little further out? 2 beds available freehold 25 mins west on the 417, I'm sure in other places too! 417 is 4 lane to Arnprior now, and most of the traffic is past Kanata.

Not ideal if you need to be in the city every day, but... condo fees? Ugh :)

*Edit* Available waay under $200k
Arnprior is a bit far for me, but yes, I see the prices are great!
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10125 posts
3226 upvotes
Ottawa
You can also look at (condo) townhouses in the Britannia/Britannia Heights area. An example below

http://www2.oreb.ca/main/Details_RES.as ... 45xtexa245

It is literally 5 minutes from the Nortel Campus down Carling. It is within your budget and the condo (association) fee at $60/month is quite reasonable. It is also close to amenities (Bayshore Mall, Coliseum, Farm Boy up the street, IKEA etc) and is just minutes from both Highway 417 and 416.

The area got a bad rap in the past (I used to live in Bayshore for 10 years so I've seen and heard things) but it has been better lately, with more businesses settling in the area. With the influx of DND employees expecting to move to the Nortel building in the next few years, this could be an area to watch for.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1538 posts
128 upvotes
Does anyone have any experience with Donald Hewie or Equity One as a buying agent? Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Ottawa who has bought a home for recommendations, and as a typical RFDer the notion of taking a slice of the agents commission holds some appeal ;)

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 2 guests)

jonatuna, SpinachIcecream, WGretzky, kaka55, welcomelm