Real Estate

Ottawa Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 7:54 pm
Sep 29, 2013
44 posts
29 upvotes
I have a few rentals in Barrhaven just because I do my own property mgmt and don't wanna drive far just to show tenants how to program a thermostat. I bought 2 more this year and am looking for more before the prices get too high. I haven't read too much of this thread past the last 5 pages but if others are interested as well, you can ask in the thread and I can answer the best I can. I also do my own taxes so I'm pretty in tune with all the tax implications.
Mar 1, 2016
170 posts
91 upvotes
AddictRC wrote: I have a few rentals in Barrhaven just because I do my own property mgmt and don't wanna drive far just to show tenants how to program a thermostat. I bought 2 more this year and am looking for more before the prices get too high. I haven't read too much of this thread past the last 5 pages but if others are interested as well, you can ask in the thread and I can answer the best I can. I also do my own taxes so I'm pretty in tune with all the tax implications.
Based on your experience, is it still possible to be cash flow positive on a property in your target area or are you expecting further price appreciation to drive your ROI? Thanks
Sep 29, 2013
44 posts
29 upvotes
BigDurian wrote: Based on your experience, is it still possible to be cash flow positive on a property in your target area or are you expecting further price appreciation to drive your ROI? Thanks
Its possible to be neutral even with 100% financing. I use a HELOC to cover the 20% down payment even though banks dont like that. You have to have that 20% in savings or stocks to get approved for a mortgage now though.

I.e. A 470k town @1.95% over 30 years rented at ~2100 can break even.
You can obviously not finance 100% of it and leave some of your own money in there but then you will lose the ability to write off the interest for income tax.

As the mortgage goes down, you can refinance it and pull that money out tax free to supplement your retirement income. Or you can sell it when it appreciates and pay capital gains. My goal was to use the ROI to help my kids buy a house without putting much of my own time and money into it.
Jul 1, 2015
115 posts
44 upvotes
ON
AddictRC wrote: I went there last night and they secretly released 3 more blocks.
Cheapest town was 598K.
Most expensive was ~689K.
How does this even remotely make sense. RC and HN homes largest TH are going for 600K.
Jan 10, 2012
144 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
Does anyone know how I can find the development application documents for previous releases of an area? I can see the current ones on the city website but I cannot find the archives.
Sep 29, 2013
44 posts
29 upvotes
nycetryguy wrote: How does this even remotely make sense. RC and HN homes largest TH are going for 600K.
Those prices on Richcraft's website were actually for Findlay's Creek even though you click on Riverside South. I gave the sales rep grief for it as they are old sold out at Riverside South. I was interested in the 4 bedroom 2-car garage model for ~560k. Similar model from Claridge (Carlton) is 698,900 at Watter's Pointe with a limited time promotion of free A/C Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10081 posts
3175 upvotes
Ottawa
Caivan will be releasing new lots for singles at their Fox Run (Richmond Village) community this Saturday. First come and first served but up to $30K off on certain models.

Not sure how well they have been selling here, I know they started to market and sell this community at least a year or so ago, if not longer.
[removed]
Sep 23, 2014
61 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I'm in the market to buy a home and was wondering if there's a way to look up the original builder of a home if it's not readily mentioned in the listing. Is this information publicly available through the city? Currently looking in Bridlewood/Glen Cairn and Kanata lakes.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5618 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
Hanimal wrote: I'm in the market to buy a home and was wondering if there's a way to look up the original builder of a home if it's not readily mentioned in the listing. Is this information publicly available through the city? Currently looking in Bridlewood/Glen Cairn and Kanata lakes.
You can Google it but typically that information belongs to the builder and if it's not on their website, it might not exist anywhere else.
Jan 29, 2020
241 posts
286 upvotes
What typically happens is that the builder will go out for bids from the trades (framing/plumbing/electrical/roofing/HVAC) for each construction cycle. Even if it's the same builder, whoever wins the job is the one who'll do the work on that particular group of houses, in that particular year.

Basically no builders are going too much beyond code because it would just increase cost - the buyers don't really understand building science so they won't pay more. I would not put great significance in what you think a builder's reputation is, as long as they have been in business for a long time. All tract housing is similar.
Jun 17, 2019
11 posts
3 upvotes
You can take help from the realtor, as they can find out who the builder was...
michelb wrote: You can Google it but typically that information belongs to the builder and if it's not on their website, it might not exist anywhere else.
Jul 15, 2019
348 posts
241 upvotes
Hanimal wrote: I'm in the market to buy a home and was wondering if there's a way to look up the original builder of a home if it's not readily mentioned in the listing. Is this information publicly available through the city? Currently looking in Bridlewood/Glen Cairn and Kanata lakes.
Try posting the address in google with the words tarion at the end, something might come up. In regard to what builder registered it with tarion.
Feb 10, 2020
18 posts
6 upvotes
This shows the number of rentals available in Ottawa west (Kanata, stittsville, bridlewood). As more supplies come online should we be concerned with this picture?
Images
  • Screenshot_20200918-075928.png
Sep 23, 2014
61 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We went and looked at detached houses in Bridlewood and Kanata lakes. Nice neighborhoods! Any recommendations between the two? I work on Palladium and my partner will have to commute downtown so proximity to 417 is key. Would also like some privacy in the backyard. My understanding is that the schools in Kanata lakes are highly rated (will be sending kids to a French school). Thanks!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

splatqa, Jjblippo