Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:53 pm
Jul 15, 2019
724 posts
588 upvotes
Spirit2 wrote: I don't mind the closing dates as I am happy with my current home location and in no rush to move.

Longwood seems to be a good builder with surpringly good standards for a smaller builder. They don't have too many designs, I think minimal staff, no advertising, no design studio and probably save money that way which is passed on to the buyer.

I can't fathom getting a 2500 Sqft 4 Bed home from any other builder anywhere in the Greater Ottawa region for $608K. With 50K-60K updates the home will be awesome. Plus the neighborhood looks nice with no ugly houses at all.
Honestly them passing the design studio onto Orleans Carpet, makes for a much better time selecting in comparison to other builders imo... if none of the standards please you, you have a pick of almost anything from that flooring(design store) and they will price it for you. I still find their prices to be below current market value even after all the increases. When looking at comparable sales(where there are some, since inventory is extremely extremely low in Rockland).
Jan 22, 2021
518 posts
943 upvotes
https://www.redfin.ca/on/ottawa/99-Tarq ... /151006832 - Bells corners townhome with double garage sells for $600K ($170K over asking).

Selling over asking is not a surprise but I remember bells corners being the cheapest area in Ottawa (May be along with Vanier and some patches on Greenbank). Sure Bells corners has come alive during this market push.
Jan 22, 2021
518 posts
943 upvotes
freeman93 wrote: Honestly them passing the design studio onto Orleans Carpet, makes for a much better time selecting in comparison to other builders imo... if none of the standards please you, you have a pick of almost anything from that flooring(design store) and they will price it for you. I still find their prices to be below current market value even after all the increases. When looking at comparable sales(where there are some, since inventory is extremely extremely low in Rockland).
This is why I bought from them as I kind of give myself a cushion against market slowdown or drop. They are easily $100K below market right now.

3 bed homes are selling for $650K-$700K now in Rockland. Not to mention similar size homes in Orleans are easily $900K plus.
Jul 15, 2019
724 posts
588 upvotes
Spirit2 wrote: This is why I bought from them as I kind of give myself a cushion against market slowdown or drop. They are easily $100K below market right now.

3 bed homes are selling for $650K-$700K now in Rockland. Not to mention similar size homes in Orleans are easily $900K plus.
Yup, here is one I thought would go for $700K on the dot.

https://www.redfin.ca/on/clarence-rockl ... /148961226

It is a really nice home, but only a 3bedroom + 1 in the basement.
Dec 8, 2013
887 posts
1347 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: We also gave up on Edenwylde because of its close proximity to the power lines and the pre-selected structural upgrades. We also did not like the Cordero or Paloma models for its small rooms.

We are finding it very difficult to find a plan that checks all our boxes. The Lowell would have been close, but the master and ensuite would have been smaller and not as nice as we have now.

There is a builder in Kingston with a plan that we like - unfortunately, we don't like the cabinet supplier. We are wondering whether we want to move ahead with it and live with it for a few years and then replace the cabinets but that is a big job and one we would rather not live through.

I guess when we find the right plan for the right location we will jump. Until then, it is nice to stay on the sidelines.
What do you think of the Berkshire 2 layout and pricing by Cardel? What about the Rayburn? This one seems to have best bang for buck if you want more space.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
rattlehead14 wrote: Makes sense, we were ok with Lowell As well but kitchen is small I felt.
I am in the lottery draw and this off the first time i feel i dont want to be picked Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Yep,gonna stay away for a bit as well. Unless if sutton is priced below 800k in blackstone.i liked that model

I so wish the kemptiville one had a bigger backyard, it hardly had 10 feet from the fence markings when i visited.
Distance and backyard were two cons. Else would have gone with it considering it was urbandale and 2800sqft home priced at 800k including lot premium for no rear neighbours.
Have you checked out Tartan? They have new 35' models which I am expecting will be built on the same street as Cardel's in Edenwylde.
Jun 14, 2020
110 posts
105 upvotes
I just completed blend and extend on my Scotia mortgage, with the plan to break it and hopefully get around the penalty. If anyone has done it with Scotia please DM me I have a few questions re next steps. Thanks
Mar 2, 2021
23 posts
16 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: Have you checked out Tartan? They have new 35' models which I am expecting will be built on the same street as Cardel's in Edenwylde.
I did register for the last release, but that point of time was more interested in th to invest. Looking at the th rates go up tried to alter my plans by investing in a new SFH and either rent out my present home or sell if it comes to that.

I will keep an eye out for the next release. Month by month prices are going up 20/30k at minimum, so the more they delay il be priced out soon.
May 6, 2012
863 posts
649 upvotes
KANATA
Hi guys. I am thinking of picking up a condo near Ottawa U. Any insight? How is downtown condo doing lately? Any idea how much rent can I get from a typical 2 beds high rise condo there? Thanks
Apr 18, 2019
34 posts
43 upvotes
I was browsing Uniform Developments site and noticed they have a new development on their scroll down for communities: "Copperwood Estates Coming Soon", anyone have an idea where this is located?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2013
1000 posts
655 upvotes
welcomelm wrote: Hi guys. I am thinking of picking up a condo near Ottawa U. Any insight? How is downtown condo doing lately? Any idea how much rent can I get from a typical 2 beds high rise condo there? Thanks
After searching on FB, zumper, and realtor, if you want you can
DM me and I can send you my agents contact. He just rented one during the holidays and helped rent a bachelor in the market for a friend. He can tell you how much action he got. I think it wasnt alot but it is bound to pick back up. All I know are bachelors and 1br only fetch around 1300. The condo fees always ruin it for me everytime I researched.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2013
1000 posts
655 upvotes
gohabsgo1 wrote: I just completed blend and extend on my Scotia mortgage, with the plan to break it and hopefully get around the penalty. If anyone has done it with Scotia please DM me I have a few questions re next steps. Thanks
I chickened out as my deal closes on Apr. 1st
Aug 5, 2011
145 posts
159 upvotes
HAMILTON
William W wrote: Ghetto neighborhood that I wish I own a few tear down like this one.

https://www.redfin.ca/on/ottawa/323-Bil ... /148923016
What do you think the intensification and development plans on Pleasant Park will do for property values in the area?

Billings is a great street, but I wonder if property values will drop if Pleasant Park becomes more like Main St.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2004
4460 posts
4122 upvotes
WabbaJ wrote:
What do you think the intensification and development plans on Pleasant Park will do for property values in the area?

Billings is a great street, but I wonder if property values will drop if Pleasant Park becomes more like Main St.
Really hard to tell what will happens. I have no clue, but those that backs on Pleasant Park sits on 200ft depth lot, so it is still a good distance away.
R8247 wrote: Did I just step into a time machine to a time before my birth?
May be that's why people paid $1M+ for the time travel experience. Grinning Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
CanadaCool wrote: What do you think of the Berkshire 2 layout and pricing by Cardel? What about the Rayburn? This one seems to have best bang for buck if you want more space.
The Berkshire 2 is not a great layout for a house that is nearly 2600 sq ft. The kitchen is the size you would expect to find in a town home. The great room at 12' deep is just not enough and you would have to upgrade to have it extended to 14'. We are also a family that has no use for a breakfast nook and a separate dining room. Upstairs the master at 12' can barely fit a king bed and night tables so I would want to upgrade to have that extended also. That is also Cardel's standard ensuite layout in many of its homes and it just doesn't wow. For a home that would easily pass $900k with upgrades, I think that there are better layouts.

The Rayburn at nearly 2900 sq ft is one of those plans that I have to ask where is all the space? It seems like there should be more space on the first floor. Again, another plan with a dining room and a breakfast nook. I've had open to above rooms in my previous 2 homes and am over it. Sound travels really easy upstairs so if you have small children sleeping upstairs it could be an issue. At 2900 sq ft I would be expecting a larger primary bedroom and ensuite. The alternate upper floor is a better layout as it takes care of the open to above issue and the primary bedroom is larger.

The challenge is the impact that the small lots have on the overall home's design. Take for instance HN Home's The Bryon plan which is 2618 sq ft but on a 44' and you will see larger rooms and a design that is much more liveable. https://hnhomes.com/riverside-fp-s-byron.html. I also think that if you bought the Berkshire 2 and upgraded to the standard level of The Bryon the prices will be very comparable.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
With all these crazy prices, are buyers prepared to cough up more for their dp because appraisals might be lower than purchase price? I.e. I just did an appraisal on my PR, as I’m switching lenders, and it came in at $830k. Looking at comparables, it should be closer to 1M. I didn’t care because I only needed 600k. Also, a new build(in a less desirable area) of my model goes for $840k base, so do these appraisers usually know what they’re doing?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7429 posts
4675 upvotes
Ottawa
welcomelm wrote: Hi guys. I am thinking of picking up a condo near Ottawa U. Any insight? How is downtown condo doing lately? Any idea how much rent can I get from a typical 2 beds high rise condo there? Thanks
Unfortunately, downtown and Sandy Hill rental market is super soft right now. I think you'd do well if you can rent at $1500/month. (I've seen other 2beds in new buildings for around that price recently).
Jan 22, 2021
518 posts
943 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: The Berkshire 2 is not a great layout for a house that is nearly 2600 sq ft. The kitchen is the size you would expect to find in a town home. The great room at 12' deep is just not enough and you would have to upgrade to have it extended to 14'. We are also a family that has no use for a breakfast nook and a separate dining room. Upstairs the master at 12' can barely fit a king bed and night tables so I would want to upgrade to have that extended also. That is also Cardel's standard ensuite layout in many of its homes and it just doesn't wow. For a home that would easily pass $900k with upgrades, I think that there are better layouts.

The Rayburn at nearly 2900 sq ft is one of those plans that I have to ask where is all the space? It seems like there should be more space on the first floor. Again, another plan with a dining room and a breakfast nook. I've had open to above rooms in my previous 2 homes and am over it. Sound travels really easy upstairs so if you have small children sleeping upstairs it could be an issue. At 2900 sq ft I would be expecting a larger primary bedroom and ensuite. The alternate upper floor is a better layout as it takes care of the open to above issue and the primary bedroom is larger.

The challenge is the impact that the small lots have on the overall home's design. Take for instance HN Home's The Bryon plan which is 2618 sq ft but on a 44' and you will see larger rooms and a design that is much more liveable. https://hnhomes.com/riverside-fp-s-byron.html. I also think that if you bought the Berkshire 2 and upgraded to the standard level of The Bryon the prices will be very comparable.
Very good observation on both Cardel Models. Cardel gives more structural options to modify than other builders which is nice but it comes at a cost. There should be no need to extend the master and great room. They know people would pay for this and are still keeping it borderline small width. This way they make money with structural changes.

I think its possible to work with Berkshire 2 if you chose to use the nook as dinning (Its big enough for dinning) and use the dedicated dining space as a second office. This way you get two office spaces on the main floor. Extending the great room opens up the options of adding some more kitchen cabinets and seating space at the same time. Extending the master gives that breathing space to a king bed as 14' on that wall would be much better than 12'. The length at 17.5' is ok as is. I at least like the fact that there is no room where one side dimension is less than 10'. I hate that in 4 bed designs above 2500 Sqft. But with the updates Berkshire 2 is more likely to cost close to $950K at Blackstone (Specially with any lot premium as these are 38' lots). One issue I have with Berkshire 2 is front elevation where one room just pokes out of the house and sits on top the garage because they had to make a 4th Bedroom.

Rayburn on the other hand, I cant work with at 2900 Sqft of odd design.

I actually never want to buy a house above 2600 Sqft approx on a lot smaller than 40' wide. This just means narrow deep designs that eat up backyard space too other than not feeling spacious inside.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)