Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:53 pm
Jul 15, 2019
724 posts
588 upvotes
cfcbug wrote: I guess people buy townhome or single there as primary property? I cannot see why people would rent a house in Carleton Place.
There is a great rental market in CP.
Jul 25, 2013
404 posts
146 upvotes
freeman93 wrote: There is a great rental market in CP.
Thanks for the information. I might go take a pre-con TH there.
May 6, 2012
863 posts
649 upvotes
KANATA
freeman93 wrote: There is a great rental market in CP.
We were talking about rental market in CP back and forth and no one seems to really know it. Your brother got rentals in CP, right?
Jul 15, 2019
724 posts
588 upvotes
welcomelm wrote: We were talking about rental market in CP back and forth and no one seems to really know it. Your brother got rentals in CP, right?
Yes, he has a few townhomes... of course he got them before the craziness happened, but he is cashflow positive(once again this was pre craziness) and had the easiest of time finding tenants. My realtor buddy has been nagging me to get something in CP for quite sometime. I can ask him for more info if you'd like.
Jul 25, 2013
404 posts
146 upvotes
freeman93 wrote: Yes, he has a few townhomes... of course he got them before the craziness happened, but he is cashflow positive(once again this was pre craziness) and had the easiest of time finding tenants. My realtor buddy has been nagging me to get something in CP for quite sometime. I can ask him for more info if you'd like.
Yes. Please share some more information. I am interested in buying a rental property in CP. Thanks!
May 6, 2012
863 posts
649 upvotes
KANATA
freeman93 wrote: Yes, he has a few townhomes... of course he got them before the craziness happened, but he is cashflow positive(once again this was pre craziness) and had the easiest of time finding tenants. My realtor buddy has been nagging me to get something in CP for quite sometime. I can ask him for more info if you'd like.
Thanks for your info. I guess what we want to know the most about CP is its tenant pool quality. I guess your brother can just answer the question. If your brother had chance to rent to a new tenant in the last 2 years, we would like to hear his experience. Thanks again :)
Jul 25, 2013
404 posts
146 upvotes
Anyone here has list price of new build TH in CP? I don’t care builders, the cheaper the better. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
William W wrote: Wasn't this discussed here a few days ago? And mainstream media just picked up the story.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/homebuilder-l ... -1.5340423

Kudos to those who post and contribute here, we are well ahead of the curve. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

BTW, we had a year head start, but we are just 10 pages back from passing the Vancouver RE thread. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Doesn't say much about the local media, especially since EQ tried this last year. But we all know that the MSM loves to feed the housing market mania. Perhaps the reporters should sign up for RFD accounts to stay ahead of what is actually happening, lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
WGretzky wrote: Tamarack releasing towns in edenwylde, Findlay creek, and cardinal creek on March 13

Here is the link to edenwylde: https://www.tamarackhomes.com/edenwylde ... -sales.php

Prices between $654k - $716k for edenwylde
I've noticed in a past release and now again in this release that Tamarack is building their towns with pre-selected finishes. First Cardel with structural upgrades pre-selected and now Tamarack with pre-selected finishes. Are we at the start I wonder of builders truly only offering cookie cutter homes?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1755 posts
723 upvotes
The Capital
skeet50 wrote: I've noticed in a past release and now again in this release that Tamarack is building their towns with pre-selected finishes. First Cardel with structural upgrades pre-selected and now Tamarack with pre-selected finishes. Are we at the start I wonder of builders truly only offering cookie cutter homes?
You call it cookie-cutter, my parents refer to it kindly as communist-living.
They went thru the exact same process in their ex-Soviet satellite state: Lottery, if you're lucky = pay deposit, get told when everything else happens, hope its on time & finally get keys. LOL
Jul 15, 2019
724 posts
588 upvotes
welcomelm wrote: Thanks for your info. I guess what we want to know the most about CP is its tenant pool quality. I guess your brother can just answer the question. If your brother had chance to rent to a new tenant in the last 2 years, we would like to hear his experience. Thanks again :)
So my brother bought two townhomes in CP for $230-$240K a few years back they can fetch around $400K maybe more in todays market. He currently rents each for $1650/mo. The information he has gathered from our realtor friend who does lots of deals in the area, is that there is currently more demand than supply for rental... so things are renting... He believes he could technically fetch rents closer to market rate at $1850-$1900/mo. His current tenants are great so he wont be changing anything.
May 6, 2012
863 posts
649 upvotes
KANATA
freeman93 wrote: So my brother bought two townhomes in CP for $230-$240K a few years back they can fetch around $400K maybe more in todays market. He currently rents each for $1650/mo. The information he has gathered from our realtor friend who does lots of deals in the area, is that there is currently more demand than supply for rental... so things are renting... He believes he could technically fetch rents closer to market rate at $1850-$1900/mo. His current tenants are great so he wont be changing anything.
Thanks a lot. This is very good news and encouragingSmiling Face With Open Mouth. Some of us here have precons up for closing in 2021 and we were worrying that CP tenant pool is either not good enough or big enough for so many new builds over there.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7429 posts
4676 upvotes
Ottawa
freeman93 wrote: So my brother bought two townhomes in CP for $230-$240K a few years back they can fetch around $400K maybe more in todays market. He currently rents each for $1650/mo. The information he has gathered from our realtor friend who does lots of deals in the area, is that there is currently more demand than supply for rental... so things are renting... He believes he could technically fetch rents closer to market rate at $1850-$1900/mo. His current tenants are great so he wont be changing anything.
Just so it's clear, in Ontario, unless his tenants voluntarily leave, he CANNOT change anything. There is a rent freeze for 2021 so he couldn't increase the rent on the current tenants even if he wanted to. (https://www.ontario.ca/page/residential-rent-increases)
Jul 15, 2019
724 posts
588 upvotes
michelb wrote: Just so it's clear, in Ontario, unless his tenants voluntarily leave, he CANNOT change anything. There is a rent freeze for 2021 so he couldn't increase the rent on the current tenants even if he wanted to. (https://www.ontario.ca/page/residential-rent-increases)
Correct, but he could provide notice from my understanding to increase rents in 2022?
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12181 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
freeman93 wrote: Correct, but he could provide notice from my understanding to increase rents in 2022?
It is possible to increase rent in 2022 but I don't think we will know until later on this year, once the pandemic is fully under control. I think the Ontario government typically produces guidelines for rent increase in the Fall (September and onwards).

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 2 guests)

GTWild, WildPegasus, bunget