Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2021 4:39 pm
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1309 posts
1231 upvotes
audiorichard wrote: Well, seems like flooding will become very common in Ottawa. It is one of the risk should factor into real estate investment in Ottawa.
How should we make sure of this? Is it safe as long as the house isn't located inside a floodplain according to the geo Ottawa map?

There are a few new developments built on former floodplain land that has since been rezoned to non-floodplain, would you say these have any risk or does the city do its due diligence when updating the map?

I've mostly heard of only communities near the Ottawa River flooding. Any risk with houses built near the smaller rivers throughout the city? I've also heard that most are older ones located within the floodplain and nowadays the city has more stringent rules so they no longer allow development in risky areas (so newer houses should be safe?). Any truth to this? It does seem to me that I never hear about the newer developments flooding despite the fact that many are built on former "swamp land" or are located beside smaller rivers.
Aug 14, 2007
532 posts
285 upvotes
Ottawa
jk9088 wrote: How should we make sure of this? Is it safe as long as the house isn't located inside a floodplain according to the geo Ottawa map?

There are a few new developments built on former floodplain land that has since been rezoned to non-floodplain, would you say these have any risk or does the city do its due diligence when updating the map?

I've mostly heard of only communities near the Ottawa River flooding. Any risk with houses built near the smaller rivers throughout the city? I've also heard that most are older ones located within the floodplain and nowadays the city has more stringent rules so they no longer allow development in risky areas (so newer houses should be safe?). Any truth to this? It does seem to me that I never hear about the newer developments flooding despite the fact that many are built on former "swamp land" or are located beside smaller rivers.
This is just my 2 cents. Every risk comes with a price, it depends on how you evaluate the risk, everybody is doing it differently. For example, I expect a property beside a gas station will have some discounts, but the discount rate can be very different for every potential buyers.

The floodplain map model is build based on one in every hundred year event, but we have experienced two events within three years period. Due to the climate changes, I can foresee flooding may happen more often than before. As you said, there are new development built on former floodplain land, people are talking about it and it is on CBC news. Both city and builders say it is fine to built houses on former floodplain land, but if something happen, do you think house owners can get 100% back from city or builder? do we able to get flooding insurance from insurance company? As a investor, I don't mind to purchase a property within the floodplain land, it is all depend on the discount rate.

For the new development built on former floodplain area, do the builder selling it much cheaper than other development? Are you ok to sleep in the former floodplain land? I see the builder is selling 2-4% discount compare with other builders in the same area, but is it enough to cover the risk you may face? every people see it differently, as some people are willing to pay the same price to sleep beside a gas station.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1879 posts
900 upvotes
jk9088 wrote: How should we make sure of this? Is it safe as long as the house isn't located inside a floodplain according to the geo Ottawa map?

Going back a few pages, I think people were saying the Caivan new builds in Barrhaven came with sump pumps? The new builds in Kanata tend to be going further south, and quite far from Ottawa River.
Aug 14, 2007
532 posts
285 upvotes
Ottawa
BlueSolstice wrote: Going back a few pages, I think people were saying the Caivan new builds in Barrhaven came with sump pumps? The new builds in Kanata tend to be going further south, and quite far from Ottawa River.
Flooding is getting worse and worse, I am surprise to see some area get impacted even it is not a floodplain land, check out northern Westboro.

I guess sump pumps only work if there are minor flooding, but for the flooding we experienced, I don't like it will work. The issue is water need to go lower ground.
Feb 18, 2010
899 posts
368 upvotes
Greely
BlueSolstice wrote: Going back a few pages, I think people were saying the Caivan new builds in Barrhaven came with sump pumps? The new builds in Kanata tend to be going further south, and quite far from Ottawa River.
I'm not sure if this link was posted or not. Caivan CBC

You can use this tool to see where the low elevations are in the area. topo chart
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1879 posts
900 upvotes
old sparks wrote: I'm not sure if this link was posted or not. Caivan CBC

You can use this tool to see where the low elevations are in the area. topo chart
Thank you for posting this link. I've not seen it. The following line doesn't give me the warm fuzzies: "Present-day engineering and planning takes into account flood elevations, sump pumps, and stormwater management drainage, said Cairo" Basically they build in flood plains, and then install sump pump + stormwater management. Given Ottawa's relatively low prices, I'll pass.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3984 posts
484 upvotes
House around the corner from us in Stittsville just sold within six hours, $20k over asking. $589k'ish for a 1700 sq ft double garage home. Insanity.
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3066 posts
578 upvotes
Does anyone have insight to recent sales in Kanata/Stittsville? I see a lot of listings for $350-400k, but not sure what these are selling for.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3984 posts
484 upvotes
blackdragon12 wrote: Does anyone have insight to recent sales in Kanata/Stittsville? I see a lot of listings for $350-400k, but not sure what these are selling for.
Anecdotally... stuff in my neighbourhood seems to go quickly. This is Fairwinds, near the CTC. Agent told us the average time on market for a detached single car garage is about 15 days (I think), longest has been 33 days this year. The townhomes go quickly, bigger detached not as quick but they do move.
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3066 posts
578 upvotes
mself084 wrote: Anecdotally... stuff in my neighbourhood seems to go quickly. This is Fairwinds, near the CTC. Agent told us the average time on market for a detached single car garage is about 15 days (I think), longest has been 33 days this year. The townhomes go quickly, bigger detached not as quick but they do move.
Thanks. The reason I ask is because I see a lot of towns popping up, but don't know what they're actually closing for. Would be good to see if it's at, above, or below asking to get a better idea of market health.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10438 posts
3497 upvotes
Ottawa
BlueSolstice wrote: Thank you for posting this link. I've not seen it. The following line doesn't give me the warm fuzzies: "Present-day engineering and planning takes into account flood elevations, sump pumps, and stormwater management drainage, said Cairo" Basically they build in flood plains, and then install sump pump + stormwater management. Given Ottawa's relatively low prices, I'll pass.
Poster on another forum mentioned Caivan sales in Richmond has not been that strong either and they actually sold off some land to another builder. I don't have any experience dealing with them but I wish them well.

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. I understand they are (or will be) building in Orleans as well.
Apr 25, 2019
192 posts
217 upvotes
Ontario
Pre-construction condo in downtown Ottawa:
I just got an email reg the MOON by CLARIDGE VIP Launch event on May 9th at 4:00pm @ 383 Albert st. (corner of Lyon and Albert)
Any information about this project or the builder?
What is the on going PSF in downtown ottawa? thinking for an investment property.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6131 posts
2213 upvotes
Ottawa
GaryR28626 wrote: Pre-construction condo in downtown Ottawa:
I just got an email reg the MOON by CLARIDGE VIP Launch event on May 9th at 4:00pm @ 383 Albert st. (corner of Lyon and Albert)
What is the on going PSF in downtown ottawa? thinking for an investment property.
I don't know anything about this project so take this with a grain of salt but I have a hard time seeing how a new downtown condo could be even close to profitable as a rental. You're likely looking at $400k to buy and you probably have monthly fees of $500 to $750 / month (again I know nothing of this project so could be way off base) and I suspect that the rent might be $2500/month. Also with all the new condo construction, I don't see this type of property appreciating much in the visible future (Having said that, I'm the first to admit that I really don't have much talent predicting the market and have not called any of big growth areas and in fact passed up opportunities because I didn't think they'd be good long term and they ended up being great).
Aug 6, 2011
593 posts
266 upvotes
GaryR28626 wrote: Pre-construction condo in downtown Ottawa:
The Moon was also in my radar, although I have no plan to buy anything. The LRT station at the bottom is a star feature. Cashflow wise is not the best I suppose, but the location is fantastic.
Have you considered a freehold house outside downtown, but walking distance to a LRT station? But freehold house requires more maintenance work. I'd buy a outdated house and fix it up and make it cashflow +. I'm bullish on locations near the LRT in the long term.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1879 posts
900 upvotes
canabiz wrote: Poster on another forum mentioned Caivan sales in Richmond has not been that strong either and they actually sold off some land to another builder. I don't have any experience dealing with them but I wish them well.

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. I understand they are (or will be) building in Orleans as well.
Seems like Caivan owns relatively undesirable land. Floodplain land in Barrhaven, and land all the way in Richmond. I guess there needs to be a builder for such land, in a free market. Personally, I find prices in Ottawa perfectly reasonable, so won't be looking at Caivan's offerings. But I can understand how some people seek value.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1879 posts
900 upvotes
cyberfreak123 wrote: The Moon was also in my radar, although I have no plan to buy anything. The LRT station at the bottom is a star feature. Cashflow wise is not the best I suppose, but the location is fantastic.
Have you considered a freehold house outside downtown, but walking distance to a LRT station? But freehold house requires more maintenance work. I'd buy a outdated house and fix it up and make it cashflow +. I'm bullish on locations near the LRT in the long term.
Based on the schedule of phase 2 of LRT, there would be quite a bit of land available for development near LRT. I agree that detached/freehold towns near LRT are promising. With DND moving west, I'm not sure how hot downtown Ottawa is going to be.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1220 posts
788 upvotes
voodoo22 wrote: Sales are still brisk in the Fernbank Crossing area of Stittsville. I've seen side by sides, townhomes and detached going up and posting sold signs in a week at prices between low 400's and mid 700's. Our builder just raised the prices of their models another 6+%. Our model has increased over 16% in the past year and they've also reduced the bonuses at their design centre.
Hi, I am just curious which builder are you referring to regarding the 6% increase. I live in the Fernbank Crossing area and I am looking for an investment property within the area as well.
Aug 6, 2011
593 posts
266 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote: Based on the schedule of phase 2 of LRT, there would be quite a bit of land available for development near LRT. I agree that detached/freehold towns near LRT are promising. With DND moving west, I'm not sure how hot downtown Ottawa is going to be.
For the available land, are you talking Riverside South?
As for downtown, in my opinion, it'll be always a safe bet, although it's expensive. The future will depend on the outcome of the Lebreton redevelopment and new high tech companies that start to take root there. In Little italy, there's the new Civic hospital that looks promising too. and other redevelopment projects in West Centretown
Oct 16, 2017
33 posts
4 upvotes
Hi everyone

I notice most people in this thread are talking about buying. My wife and I are moving to Ottawa from Toronto and interested in renting to start. Is there a more appropriate place to post to get some information? Thanks!
Aug 14, 2007
532 posts
285 upvotes
Ottawa
sdutta6 wrote: Hi everyone

I notice most people in this thread are talking about buying. My wife and I are moving to Ottawa from Toronto and interested in renting to start. Is there a more appropriate place to post to get some information? Thanks!
You can go kijiji or Realtors.ca to look for listing. Compare with Toronto, Ottawa is a very small city. By the way, I am from Toronto as well...Good luck to your search.

Thread Information

There are currently 17 users viewing this thread. (14 members and 3 guests)

nikels21, Jay31, arbytor, Aastra2016, OttawaGuy2020, prasann007, ZeusDaMongoose, Cruizer3000, bdajqx, canabiz, welcomelm, taurus25, cfcbug, fogetmylogin