• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 9:41 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2435 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
jk9088 wrote:
Minto will be releasing Harmony phase 3 (I believe it may be located just behind phase 1) next year in 2020 so it'll be interesting to see what prices they come up with then. (Not sure if they will be offering detached or townhouse or both though.)
Will Phase 3 be there or west of Phase 2? I thought they had some land surrounding the privately-owned property.
If it's south of Phase 1, then that'll be a really small area because Caivan has the land south of the proposed new Chapman Mills Drive.

FS: Nothing
May 23, 2017
997 posts
749 upvotes
TheGame wrote: Will Phase 3 be there or west of Phase 2? I thought they had some land surrounding the privately-owned property.
If it's south of Phase 1, then that'll be a really small area because Caivan has the land south of the proposed new Chapman Mills Drive.
It could definitely be west of Phase 2 as well, I'm just guessing here! The land west of Phase 2 is rather oddly shapely since it wraps around the Clarke family lands which is a very irregularly-shaped, large lot (so I feel like it would be awkward to design a site plan around), whereas the area south of Phase 1 is a neat rectangle which would be easy to make into another development and in fact has already been earmarked for residential. In another forum there were also people currently living in Harmony Phase 1 that mentioned it seems like work is being done in the area directly behind Phase 1, which led me to believe that Minto is prepping that land for development next.

And that area is not small at all actually, I think it's nearly as large as phase 1 itself (maybe about 80%? I'm just eyeballing it though), and actually bigger than phase 2. But I definitely don't know any solid info about phase 3, we'll just have to wait and see what Minto releases next.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2052 posts
203 upvotes
Ottawa
Does anyone have any opinion on Orleans Caivan Townhouses? I tried searching online but really no comments being made about Orleans Caivan.
Feb 7, 2018
282 posts
354 upvotes
What are people’s consensus opinions on Westboro vs Glebe. Those 2 are my target upgrade neighborhoods at the moment. As it seems right now, westboro is more expensive, 20-year old semis for around the price of an older detached in the Glebe. The only real reason I see for the price gap is LRT, but in terms of schools, lifestyle etc... is one ranked slightly higher than the other in your opinion?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2364 posts
1152 upvotes
Ottawa
wiab89 wrote: What are people’s consensus opinions on Westboro vs Glebe. Those 2 are my target upgrade neighborhoods at the moment. As it seems right now, westboro is more expensive, 20-year old semis for around the price of an older detached in the Glebe. The only real reason I see for the price gap is LRT, but in terms of schools, lifestyle etc... is one ranked slightly higher than the other in your opinion?
I don’t think Westboro is more expensive if comparing equivalent properties. Glebe gets cheaper as you go west especially as you get closer to Bronson. The core numbered avenues east of Bank are probably the most expensive real estate in the city and probably the best urban lifestyle you can get in Ottawa. If you work in Centretown you can walk to work. To me this is key as the primary advantage of the downtown life. Glebe has this over Westboro and New Edinburgh which do each have other advantages. A big one is the Glebe is always very busy. Some friends in Old Ottawa South point to this as a big advantage though to me you are outside comfortable waking range. As you said LRT is big advantage for Westboro and it’s quieter for now at least. All have very good schools.
Jan 25, 2016
134 posts
117 upvotes
Ottawa DST
wiab89 wrote: What are people’s consensus opinions on Westboro vs Glebe. Those 2 are my target upgrade neighborhoods at the moment. As it seems right now, westboro is more expensive, 20-year old semis for around the price of an older detached in the Glebe. The only real reason I see for the price gap is LRT, but in terms of schools, lifestyle etc... is one ranked slightly higher than the other in your opinion?
I own houses in both neighbourhoods, I prefer the Glebe as I've found it to be more walkable. Both are awesome IMHO.
Feb 7, 2018
282 posts
354 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: I don’t think Westboro is more expensive if comparing equivalent properties. Glebe gets cheaper as you go west especially as you get closer to Bronson. The core numbered avenues east of Bank are probably the most expensive real estate in the city and probably the best urban lifestyle you can get in Ottawa.
Thanks for your insights. I was looking west of bank st properties in the glebe. Is this part much worse than east of bank st? Trouble at the moment is there aren’t a lot of comparable properties between the 2. Westboro seems littered with semis, while glebe has century singles. Old Ottawa South/East is option 1c, but don’t like the proximity to Carleton U to be honest.

Glad to hear people’s thoughts on the neighborhoods (walkability, quietness, traffic...). Will be working with a realtor next year, but having opinions that aren’t influenced by commission are very valuable.
May 23, 2017
997 posts
749 upvotes
wkw325 wrote: Anyone knows why the house list price is super high near Hope Side Road in Kanata area?

$739,900
https://purplebricks.ca/on/ottawa-and-s ... escription
My best guess is that the owners paid a ton of money in upgrades when they bought the house and are adding that onto the price (hardwood throughout including both stairs, quartz countertops throughout including the bathrooms, upgraded trim package, 9' ceilings on both floors which is an expensive upgrade). It also has no rear neighbours backing onto a park so they probably paid a huge lot premium for that ($40k-$50k would not be out of the question). I wouldn't be surprised if they paid $100k-$150k above the base price of the house for all the "extras" and premium features, and now they've decided to try to recoup that cost when selling.

Seems overpriced to me based on the comparables (you should never expect to be able to get your money back when it comes to these builder upgrades) but the house is definitely pretty well decked-out. At this price though, I'd expect a nicer master ensuite (with separate walk-in shower + soaker tub), extended kitchen cabinets to the ceiling, and better flooring in the basement (not carpet). Also I find the outside of the house really ugly (looks like a patchwork of different colours + materials that don't mesh well together), plus I dislike the hardwood they've chosen throughout: don't like all the obvious patterns in the oak (I prefer maple), don't like the fact that the colour on the floors so clearly does not match the colour of the stairs, and REALLY dislike how the direction of the hardwoord goes in different directions in the living/dining room vs. kitchen/breakfast area (that would seriously bother me everyday).
Mar 3, 2011
41 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa
skeet50 wrote: Because it's For Sale By Owner and it's over priced.

It's Mattamy's Elm model at less than 2000 square feet on two floors.
Agreed. At first I thought it must’ve been a joke or something. Way overpriced
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2364 posts
1152 upvotes
Ottawa
wiab89 wrote: Thanks for your insights. I was looking west of bank st properties in the glebe. Is this part much worse than east of bank st? Trouble at the moment is there aren’t a lot of comparable properties between the 2. Westboro seems littered with semis, while glebe has century singles. Old Ottawa South/East is option 1c, but don’t like the proximity to Carleton U to be honest.

Glad to hear people’s thoughts on the neighborhoods (walkability, quietness, traffic...). Will be working with a realtor next year, but having opinions that aren’t influenced by commission are very valuable.
Worse is subjective but a bit cheaper for sure as you get towards Bronson. Personally I also wouldn’t want to be too far north where 417 noise is ubiquitous.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Carleton. I don’t know why but it’s nothing like Sandy Hill which has been destroyed as a family neighbourhood.
It depends on your family configuration but as someone with young kids the especially West Side of OOS is perfect. Brewer Park is among the best in the city (not only facilities but the whole vibe) and you have a good lesson pool and arena as well. Nothing in the Glebe compares and Westboro has almost no green space. The beach a notable exception. New Edinburgh has even more green space but no recreational facilities at all. Quietness same order as green space ranking.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3613 posts
2970 upvotes
CookieTrain wrote: Agreed. At first I thought it must’ve been a joke or something. Way overpriced
That hardwood floor is a lot to live with and unfortunately, it is through the entire house. My guess is they selected it from a small sample and could not envision it throughout the entire house.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3613 posts
2970 upvotes
masoud100 wrote: Does anyone have any opinion on Orleans Caivan Townhouses? I tried searching online but really no comments being made about Orleans Caivan.
I was originally intrigued by the 25 foot designs when first released. I was thinking 25' wide towns will mean larger footprints, wider homes with larger garages. Unfortunately, when I looked at the floor plans, this wasn't so. Caivan has decided in making the homes wider, they would also make them not as long. How big are the lots, as I would think on a standard lot you would have a longer back yard? So while you get wider rooms (none of the 10 foot wide living rooms that can be seen in typical Ottawa towns), the rooms are more square than rectangle. I have also noticed that fireplaces are not standard and the ensuite are pretty standard bathrooms with little options to upgrade.

For me, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying from the plan. This is one where I would need to visit a model to get a feel for the home.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2052 posts
203 upvotes
Ottawa
skeet50 wrote: I was originally intrigued by the 25 foot designs when first released. I was thinking 25' wide towns will mean larger footprints, wider homes with larger garages. Unfortunately, when I looked at the floor plans, this wasn't so. Caivan has decided in making the homes wider, they would also make them not as long. How big are the lots, as I would think on a standard lot you would have a longer back yard? So while you get wider rooms (none of the 10 foot wide living rooms that can be seen in typical Ottawa towns), the rooms are more square than rectangle. I have also noticed that fireplaces are not standard and the ensuite are pretty standard bathrooms with little options to upgrade.

For me, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying from the plan. This is one where I would need to visit a model to get a feel for the home.
The lot is 25x84 and that includes the backyard. Garage can fit 1 car and driveway can only fit one car. They did include hardwood floors (main floor), 9 ft ceilings (main floor), granite kitchen countertops, 9 ft door as well as finished basements. Townhouse kind of feels small for me maybe it's because I have lived in a huge house before so not sure how the townhouse compares to other townhouse models. Basement windows by far the worst thing I have ever seen as there is 2 beside each other facing the backyard and so small that I have never seen windows that small.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1137 posts
718 upvotes
jk9088 wrote: My best guess is that the owners paid a ton of money in upgrades when they bought the house and are adding that onto the price (hardwood throughout including both stairs, quartz countertops throughout including the bathrooms, upgraded trim package, 9' ceilings on both floors which is an expensive upgrade). It also has no rear neighbours backing onto a park so they probably paid a huge lot premium for that ($40k-$50k would not be out of the question). I wouldn't be surprised if they paid $100k-$150k above the base price of the house for all the "extras" and premium features, and now they've decided to try to recoup that cost when selling.

Seems overpriced to me based on the comparables (you should never expect to be able to get your money back when it comes to these builder upgrades) but the house is definitely pretty well decked-out. At this price though, I'd expect a nicer master ensuite (with separate walk-in shower + soaker tub), extended kitchen cabinets to the ceiling, and better flooring in the basement (not carpet). Also I find the outside of the house really ugly (looks like a patchwork of different colours + materials that don't mesh well together), plus I dislike the hardwood they've chosen throughout: don't like all the obvious patterns in the oak (I prefer maple), don't like the fact that the colour on the floors so clearly does not match the colour of the stairs, and REALLY dislike how the direction of the hardwoord goes in different directions in the living/dining room vs. kitchen/breakfast area (that would seriously bother me everyday).
Good observations. Owner might have done the hardwood floors after closing and got a product with a special discount because it is way off from the stain of the stairs treads and railing nosing. Also many of the hardwood pieces looks to be about 1.5 feet or shorter which screams cheap.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3613 posts
2970 upvotes
masoud100 wrote: The lot is 25x84 and that includes the backyard. Garage can fit 1 car and driveway can only fit one car. They did include hardwood floors (main floor), 9 ft ceilings (main floor), granite kitchen countertops, 9 ft door as well as finished basements. Townhouse kind of feels small for me maybe it's because I have lived in a huge house before so not sure how the townhouse compares to other townhouse models. Basement windows by far the worst thing I have ever seen as there is 2 beside each other facing the backyard and so small that I have never seen windows that small.
This would be a big problem for me. Towns that have the finished family rooms in the basement are scarce on storage space. The result is that you have little choice but to use your garage for storage. This means cars have to be parked in the driveway. Parking one car behind another becomes quickly becomes inconvenient which is why if you drive through almost any freehold town community you will experience lots of on street parking. With only parking for one car, you can almost guarantee that the community will have lots of on street parking. This will become even more of a problem during the winter months when people with two vehicles trying to find somewhere to park with snow clogged streets. You can be sure that with every snow fall someone will have a car parked on the street that will prevent the plow from doing a great job clearing the snow. And as there are towns on the main street into the community, winter time living there may be a challenge.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3613 posts
2970 upvotes
The other challenge with Caivan's towns in Orleans is that all the plans have a rear door that opens inward to the room. This will make furniture placement a challenge in this rooms as you have to maintain clearance for the door.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7098 posts
4260 upvotes
Victoria, BC
wkw325 wrote: Anyone knows why the house list price is super high near Hope Side Road in Kanata area?

$739,900
https://purplebricks.ca/on/ottawa-and-s ... escription
They are dreaming. Postage sized lot so crammed together with houses. I used to live right across from there (other side of Stonehaven) and jogged past these houses with my dogs all the time. No way will someone pay that much for it IMO.

Look how close it is to that other house. God help them if there ever needs any maintenance on the side between them.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3613 posts
2970 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: They are dreaming. Postage sized lot so crammed together with houses. I used to live right across from there (other side of Stonehaven) and jogged past these houses with my dogs all the time. No way will someone pay that much for it IMO.

Look how close it is to that other house. God help them if there ever needs any maintenance on the side between them.
I just checked. The house was built in 2014, so backing out a year and bit to estimate date of signing the PA, Mattamy had listed the model for $382K in March of 2013.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)