Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2021 3:51 am
Member
Sep 5, 2009
248 posts
47 upvotes
is there a site where i can see sold prices for ottawa real estate?
Member
Jul 25, 2008
400 posts
274 upvotes
ottawa
cyberfreak123 wrote: Another area I'm monitoring is a small neighborhood called Eastway Gardens, north of Train Yard. There's no community housing there. There's a tunnel on Tremblay road that goes under the highway to the LRT at St-Laurent . Small cheap bungalows that make good rentals, if you can get it for cheap. But prices have increased as well recently... The big vacant land on Tremblay will be developed soon. Offices, commercial and some residential. I wonder which department will move there once it'll be finished.
Eastway Gardens is a good long-term land assembly target. I doubt anyone is going build million dollar singles there once the existing housing reaches teardown status. Due to it's proximity to transit, the highway, and the via rail station, it's a good target for highrise development down the road, and already has some gridlike streets.
Member
Jun 15, 2009
485 posts
188 upvotes
Nepean
Listed for 999K and sold for 960K...
sky417 wrote: @michelb Could you please help me find out how much 234 Escarpment Cres in RR actually was sold for?
I was at the open house couple weeks ago, just out of curiosity, and the place was packed.. Wonder how it turned out :)

TIA
Newbie
Aug 7, 2018
30 posts
20 upvotes
cyberfreak123 wrote: Another area I'm monitoring is a small neighborhood called Eastway Gardens, north of Train Yard. There's no community housing there. There's a tunnel on Tremblay road that goes under the highway to the LRT at St-Laurent . Small cheap bungalows that make good rentals, if you can get it for cheap. But prices have increased as well recently... The big vacant land on Tremblay will be developed soon. Offices, commercial and some residential. I wonder which department will move there once it'll be finished.
This used to be the planned location for the CBSA HQ. But they have since all moved to the Vanier towers, so I don't think it would be them anymore.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2412 posts
1189 upvotes
Ottawa
jk9088 wrote: Yes west end but within the greenbelt so definitely more central than Kanata/Barrhaven. Near IKEA. Freehold bungalow around 60 years old (though it was recently very nicely renovated so definitely looks newer, but still, with a house that old I would be wary to buy it without an inspection--though perhaps the buyer did do an inspection prior to bidding). I was surprised that based on the open house, the demand seemed just as high as for Barrhaven townhouses in the spring, which I definitely did not expect especially this time of the year with the election looming as you mentioned.

I'm curious which areas are you looking that have freeholds <500k? Perhaps I should expand the areas I'm tracking. I usually like to keep my rentals near the West end since I live in Kanata so it's much easier to manage than if I owned a property in the east, but if the market is more buyer-friendly in other areas I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go further.
Sorry bad typo meant to say nothing anywhere near $500k. I mostly follow central neighbourhoods where I can rent to people who aren't paying the bill themselves.

Election looks to be pivoting back towards liberals a bit. I think even a Liberal minority will cause a uptick in buyers and a very strong spring.
Member
Mar 7, 2011
442 posts
310 upvotes
Ottawa
bdajqx wrote: is there a site where i can see sold prices for ottawa real estate?
AFAIK they are considered private information so a general public does not have access. Only realtors do.
If you have a specific listing in mind, you can ask the kind people in this thread though just like I did ;)
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2007
527 posts
281 upvotes
Ottawa
Good news for real estate market tonight? What do you think?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1849 posts
909 upvotes
Moon
audiorichard wrote: Good news for real estate market tonight? What do you think?
Should be plenty of new bullshit government red tape jobs in Ottawa to pump house prices. I'm excited for the GAIN$ to come
Jr. Member
Apr 25, 2019
187 posts
208 upvotes
Ontario
Ottawa investors looking at another Liberal government:
White Heavy Check Markcontinued high immigration.
White Heavy Check MarkFirst time buyers boost.
Cross MarkStress test stays.
Cross Marknational Rent control
more deficits which will cause price to go Up and Up.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1872 posts
892 upvotes
Definitely good news for Ottawa RE. No federal layoffs or hiring freezes anytime soon.

The question is how much has the RE market priced in a liberal or liberal/NDP government? Prices has gone up quite a bit since polls showed conservative hitting a ceiling that's short of a majority.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1849 posts
909 upvotes
Moon
BlueSolstice wrote: Definitely good news for Ottawa RE. No federal layoffs or hiring freezes anytime soon.

The question is how much has the RE market priced in a liberal or liberal/NDP government? Prices has gone up quite a bit since polls showed conservative hitting a ceiling that's short of a majority.
IMO it has priced in a Conservative government if anything. People were worried that conservatives were leading polls and that they would also be more motivated to come out and vote.

I'm expecting even greater buyer confidence in the market than before.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1170 posts
748 upvotes
The gravy train continues!

Trudeau's favorite corrupt company SNC stock jumps 14%!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1872 posts
892 upvotes
Zero Hope wrote: The gravy train continues!

Trudeau's favorite corrupt company SNC stock jumps 14%!
Personally, I prefer not to discuss whether SNC is a corrupt company or whether one should vote for Trudeau in this thread. I think we can all agree that conservatives are bad for Ottawa RE, and if you own property in Ottawa, voting conservative would be voting against your self interest, if your self interest involves preserving and/or increasing your net worth.

Now, there is still the possibility that Trudeau's minority government may fall, and a new election can result in an unexpected conservative government. If that happens, Ottawa RE can expect quite a shock.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1170 posts
748 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote: Personally, I prefer not to discuss whether SNC is a corrupt company or whether one should vote for Trudeau in this thread. I think we can all agree that conservatives are bad for Ottawa RE, and if you own property in Ottawa, voting conservative would be voting against your self interest, if your self interest involves preserving and/or increasing your net worth.

Now, there is still the possibility that Trudeau's minority government may fall, and a new election can result in an unexpected conservative government. If that happens, Ottawa RE can expect quite a shock.
There is no debate whether SNC is corrupt or not.

I'm not worried about yearly single digit changes in Ottawa RE. I can sleep sound regardless as I'm not overleveraged like some people. Geez some people treating their Ottawa RE like a one way ticket to the moon lol. Believe it or not market fluctuations are a good thing (maybe not for those that are overextended).
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2412 posts
1189 upvotes
Ottawa
Applesmack wrote: IMO it has priced in a Conservative government if anything. People were worried that conservatives were leading polls and that they would also be more motivated to come out and vote.

I'm expecting even greater buyer confidence in the market than before.
I agree. Ottawa civil servants are exceedingly cautious people so many were probably imagining the worse case even Conservative minority was the best hope Cons had and the early minority Harper years actually had record levels of hiring.

For what it's worth I think the spring will be very strong especially for single family houses in the more affordable price range. I am still a bit bearish on higher end homes and condos as this segment seems to have missed the boom a bit. However, the rental market in this price range is strong. My centrally located town house that rented for $3200 three years ago was quickly snapped up for $3800 this summer. Meanwhile the sale comps are up a bit but not like cheaper properties.
Sr. Member
Aug 6, 2011
592 posts
264 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: I agree. Ottawa civil servants are exceedingly cautious people so many were probably imagining the worse case even Conservative minority was the best hope Cons had and the early minority Harper years actually had record levels of hiring.

For what it's worth I think the spring will be very strong especially for single family houses in the more affordable price range. I am still a bit bearish on higher end homes and condos as this segment seems to have missed the boom a bit. However, the rental market in this price range is strong. My centrally located town house that rented for $3200 three years ago was quickly snapped up for $3800 this summer. Meanwhile the sale comps are up a bit but not like cheaper properties.
If the low inventory trend in the affordable range continues like this, I think Spring will see another very strong seller market. Simple Supply and Demand dynamic. Low interest will stay here for a while. With the Liberal in power, even minority, it's business as usual,
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14822 posts
4303 upvotes
A house close to us was being sold on Purplebricks unsuccessfully, so they dropped the price and hired a standard realtor and sold almost immediately. Its neighbour was also sold with an asking price 10k lower.

Must be a late fall surge before the snow comes in next month.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2412 posts
1189 upvotes
Ottawa
cyberfreak123 wrote: What do you guys think about this sale in Alta Vista? I'm just curious who would buy this and what would they do with it.

224 ROGER , OTTAWA
https://realestate.yellitmedia.com/6440
Asking price: 599K
Sold: 805K
Single Doctor. DINK nurses/other health proffesional. Live in it and enjoy the short commute and large lot. For sure no kids with one bathroom and I think the schools are not ideal there either.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1872 posts
892 upvotes
cyberfreak123 wrote: If the low inventory trend in the affordable range continues like this, I think Spring will see another very strong seller market. Simple Supply and Demand dynamic. Low interest will stay here for a while. With the Liberal in power, even minority, it's business as usual,
At current MOI levels, bidding wars will continue through the coldest days of winter. When inventory drops to a certain level, seasonal trends don't matter as much. Due to Ottawa's weather, people won't be camping out for a week for Minto's release, but then Minto can't do a lot of construction activity during winter anyway. But resale market should continue to be hot during winter, as all the buyers who got outbid during fall continues their house hunt no matter how cold it gets.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 4 guests)

Tadalafil, NuF518600, MSparrow, canabiz