Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 5:56 pm
Feb 4, 2017
130 posts
32 upvotes
How is Carp for SFH? I see couple of single family homes communities going up in Carp with bigger lots. Diamondsview estate is one of them. It seems good option for tech people. Prices seems to be reasonable considering sq.ft an bigger lots. What do you guys think?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3617 posts
2971 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote: How is Carp for SFH? I see couple of single family homes communities going up in Carp with bigger lots. Diamondsview estate is one of them. It seems good option for tech people. Prices seems to be reasonable considering sq.ft an bigger lots. What do you guys think?
We visited Diamondsview Estate. It is close to the highway, so you may hear traffic noise from time to time. Right now there is very little around it in terms of amenities, so you will have to drive everywhere. We decided against it though as the road and public areas are privately owned - so you have to pay condo fees. And, the water system is also privately owned and a shared community well. At the time, we were told to expect about $200 a month for water and condo fees. That didn't go over well with me as these type of cost are generally severely under-estimated by sales staff and generally reflect costs for brand new systems and are not reflective of true costs a couple of years down the road.
Feb 4, 2017
130 posts
32 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: We visited Diamondsview Estate. It is close to the highway, so you may hear traffic noise from time to time. Right now there is very little around it in terms of amenities, so you will have to drive everywhere. We decided against it though as the road and public areas are privately owned - so you have to pay condo fees. And, the water system is also privately owned and a shared community well. At the time, we were told to expect about $200 a month for water and condo fees. That didn't go over well with me as these type of cost are generally severely under-estimated by sales staff and generally reflect costs for brand new systems and are not reflective of true costs a couple of years down the road.
Thats exactly i heard $200 a month... but then property tax will be less compared to city so its actually nullify. Sale guys told us, there is plan of 500 homes in that community , plan of street mall, schools to accommodate extra population growth.I was looking at it because lot is pretty big, with bigger layout plans than kanata homes.Same lot size and same usable area easily goes above $750k in kanata . Less Amenities is really negative point.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2129 posts
527 upvotes
Ottawa
just an recent anecdotal experience. saw an stacked townhouse condo up for sale, booked a viewing but needs 24 hours becuz it's a rental. Went to see it then boom 2 other offers in a day and have to make an offer immediately to even have a chance.

another day, saw a 1980s condo electric-heat townhouse in lincoln fields asking for 275k and sold for a whooping 310k in just a day. what a crazy market even in December. Cannot imagine the market in Spring!
Last edited by kwanyeung20 on Dec 10th, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 7, 2010
291 posts
80 upvotes
Tornado32 wrote: As long as it’s a safe area to live in I would consider it. Thanks for your input
That area is perfectly safe, so that should not be a concern.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2364 posts
1152 upvotes
Ottawa
OksanaCampbell wrote: I bought a pre-construction house in Stittsville for investment purposes. I live outside of Ottawa (GTA - Mississauga). It's closing late December. I am wondering if it makes more sense to rent it out on my own or use an agent. Is anyone in the similar situation - living outside of Ottawa? What is your approach? As one alternative, I am thinking of posting an ad on Kijiji before the closing. Taking photos of the property during the pre-delivery inspection. Waiting a week and then arranging a pre-set showing date for all interested. Coming to stay in Ottawa for 3 days to pick up the keys, show the property, pick a tenant, go through background check process, take deposits and sign an agreement. I don't know whether this is a realistic scenario during the holiday season and with the a three-day timeline for showing and finalizing a deal. Another option is of course using a realtor. What is your experience? Can you recommend anyone good? How quickly were you able to find a tenant using a realtor?

Any information is greatly appreciated,
Oksana
I have done both. It depends on the property. Higher end stuff, probably not applicable in Stittsville, needs to be on Realtor.
December is not ideal but the market is year round for divorces and the like. The relocation market is pretty quiet in December. Another big market is people who have sold but have a new house not yet ready. I would mention to the sales agent who sold you your house that you are interested in renting. He might know somebody buying whose house is not ready buying in the development or another phase.

In terms of screening and the like I think you can do it as well as anybody. Will you have a property manager more generally? You might be able to get away without one for a new property but insurance may insist you have one anyway.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3617 posts
2971 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote: Thats exactly i heard $200 a month... but then property tax will be less compared to city so its actually nullify. Sale guys told us, there is plan of 500 homes in that community , plan of street mall, schools to accommodate extra population growth.I was looking at it because lot is pretty big, with bigger layout plans than kanata homes.Same lot size and same usable area easily goes above $750k in kanata . Less Amenities is really negative point.
When we drove around the subdivision I was surprised to see the number of larger 2-storey homes there. Families are buying in the neighbourhood and all I could think is what would you do with children out here? You would spend all your time driving the children everywhere. Our neighbour's son bought a larger home on a larger lot a couple of years ago out in Dunrobin and while they loved it when they first bought, after just two years they recently sold and moved into a townhome in Kanata. They had a new baby and quickly grew tired of the lack of amenities and all the driving.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1865 posts
888 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: We visited Diamondsview Estate. It is close to the highway, so you may hear traffic noise from time to time. Right now there is very little around it in terms of amenities, so you will have to drive everywhere. We decided against it though as the road and public areas are privately owned - so you have to pay condo fees. And, the water system is also privately owned and a shared community well. At the time, we were told to expect about $200 a month for water and condo fees. That didn't go over well with me as these type of cost are generally severely under-estimated by sales staff and generally reflect costs for brand new systems and are not reflective of true costs a couple of years down the road.
Thank you for the update on Diamondsview. Quite a few people in Kanata live in carp or other communities, but most of them live in older houses with big lots and their own well. This is the first time I've heard of a community well. How much do they expect the property tax to be, seeing that road and water are privately owned?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3617 posts
2971 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote: Thank you for the update on Diamondsview. Quite a few people in Kanata live in carp or other communities, but most of them live in older houses with big lots and their own well. This is the first time I've heard of a community well. How much do they expect the property tax to be, seeing that road and water are privately owned?
The only thing they mentioned to us was to expect about $120 for water, and as it was from the community well, you wouldn't get a water bill from the City. I had several concerns with that. One was isn't the city now charging for overland water for homes with water and sewer? Secondly, we currently do not pay $120 a month for water. We actually pay about $45 a month so $120 is quite a bit more and as I stated earlier - that is just an estimate at the start. Finally, I was concerned about shared owing of a community well. What happens if we go through a drought situation or if the well needs some major repair? I just didn't feel secure with the setup, especially as there are large homes out there with large lots that could potentially be heavy water users. I know that there is a community well in Phoenix's Greely community and I seem to recall, although I am not certain, that there was some issue with the design of it that delayed the selling of some phases of the community in Greely.
Feb 4, 2017
130 posts
32 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: The only thing they mentioned to us was to expect about $120 for water, and as it was from the community well, you wouldn't get a water bill from the City. I had several concerns with that. One was isn't the city now charging for overland water for homes with water and sewer? Secondly, we currently do not pay $120 a month for water. We actually pay about $45 a month so $120 is quite a bit more and as I stated earlier - that is just an estimate at the start. Finally, I was concerned about shared owing of a community well. What happens if we go through a drought situation or if the well needs some major repair? I just didn't feel secure with the setup, especially as there are large homes out there with large lots that could potentially be heavy water users. I know that there is a community well in Phoenix's Greely community and I seem to recall, although I am not certain, that there was some issue with the design of it that delayed the selling of some phases of the community in Greely.
Isn't the most of carp paying these kind of feels like community well charges? I don't think they get city water.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1865 posts
888 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote: Isn't the most of carp paying these kind of feels like community well charges? I don't think they get city water.
Do you know how most of these community wells work? Do they meter each house individually? Personally, paying a water meter to city and paying a water meter bill to private corporation is not that big of a difference, as long as it's metered properly and rates are reasonable.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3617 posts
2971 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote: Do you know how most of these community wells work? Do they meter each house individually? Personally, paying a water meter to city and paying a water meter bill to private corporation is not that big of a difference, as long as it's metered properly and rates are reasonable.
Found this today on Ottawa community wells:

"In rural areas, the City operates six groundwater well systems. These communal groundwater systems use drilled wells to supply residents in the communities of Carp, Munster Hamlet, Richmond (Kings Park), Richmond West, Greely (Shadow Ridge) and Vars with drinking water. Well water is disinfected using chlorination at each treatment facility. The Vars Well System also uses greensand filtration and activated carbon to remove iron, manganese, and natural organic matter from the groundwater.

The City prepares an annual report for each municipal drinking water system, in compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act. "

https://ottawa.ca/en/living-ottawa/rura ... ic-systems
Feb 4, 2017
130 posts
32 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote: Do you know how most of these community wells work? Do they meter each house individually? Personally, paying a water meter to city and paying a water meter bill to private corporation is not that big of a difference, as long as it's metered properly and rates are reasonable.
I had asked one of my colleague who is resident of carp and he said, it doesnt matter whether you pay to city or private company for water . Private will be little bit more but then City taxes will be less. Main thing to consider is consumption.
Feb 18, 2010
884 posts
351 upvotes
Greely
skeet50 wrote: "In rural areas, the City operates six groundwater well systems. These communal groundwater systems use drilled wells to supply residents in the communities of Carp, Munster Hamlet, Richmond (Kings Park), Richmond West, Greely (Shadow Ridge) and Vars with drinking water. Well water is disinfected using chlorination at each treatment facility. The Vars Well System also uses greensand filtration and activated carbon to remove iron, manganese, and natural organic matter from the groundwater"
I didn't know the Shadow Ridge system was operated by the city. Most of Greely is well and septic, and the well water quality gets worse as you get closer to Manotick. Nothing a good water softener can't handle...

We were looking at Caivan models in Richmond, and was led to believe that the water system there was metered, and not a monthly fee like the new Carp development. YMMV...
Dec 10, 2019
5 posts
Ottawa
Hey y'all! We are in the final process of buying a house in pineview, specifically 1405 bortolotti cres for 450k. How is the area like around the street and the overall neighbourhood? Any market trends for that area?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5846 posts
1902 upvotes
Ottawa
YusufC72702 wrote: Hey y'all! We are in the final process of buying a house in pineview, specifically 1405 bortolotti cres for 450k. How is the area like around the street and the overall neighbourhood? Any market trends for that area?
Congrats on the purchase. I think you got great value and a very good location as far as proximity to downtown and rush hour commute (if you are driving, downtown commute is about 30 minutes and LRT is nearby). As far as the neighborhood, my dad has lived in the area for 35 years or so and has never had any problems and likes it there. It doesn't have anywhere near the demand of Kanata, Barrhaven Orleans or even Beacon Hill and is a very mixed bag with a lot of lower income so all that limits the growth potential but you got a SFH for the same or less than a lot of people further away spend on a townhome. If I had to point out one flaw is that it doesn't have many "amenities" (not the correct word) that other communities will have; there's an english and a french catholic elementary school but no nearby public schools and no high schools at all so many kids bus a fair distance. There's no community centre, there's very little as far as shops and services, etc actually in the community but it is close to Gloucester Centre / Innes Road and St-Laurent so that's not really an issue (I just don't really consider them part of the that specific area) and it's not an "up-coming" community like the newer development where the city will build new schools and parks and recreational complexes.
Dec 10, 2019
5 posts
Ottawa
michelb wrote: Congrats on the purchase. I think you got great value and a very good location as far as proximity to downtown and rush hour commute (if you are driving, downtown commute is about 30 minutes and LRT is nearby). As far as the neighborhood, my dad has lived in the area for 35 years or so and has never had any problems and likes it there. It doesn't have anywhere near the demand of Kanata, Barrhaven Orleans or even Beacon Hill and is a very mixed bag with a lot of lower income so all that limits the growth potential but you got a SFH for the same or less than a lot of people further away spend on a townhome. If I had to point out one flaw is that it doesn't have many "amenities" (not the correct word) that other communities will have; there's an english and a french catholic elementary school but no nearby public schools and no high schools at all so many kids bus a fair distance. There's no community centre, there's very little as far as shops and services, etc actually in the community but it is close to Gloucester Centre / Innes Road and St-Laurent so that's not really an issue (I just don't really consider them part of the that specific area) and it's not an "up-coming" community like the newer development where the city will build new schools and parks and recreational complexes.
Thank you! We do understand that the area is a mixed salad of middle and low income families and is currently not up and coming. However, we hope that changes as the area becomes more popular as commuting from the outer greenbelt becomes worse. Not to mention the Blair LRT which may spring development as seen with the Frontier condos. Am I somewhat realistic with my predictions or is it just wishful thinking?
Aug 6, 2011
590 posts
261 upvotes
YusufC72702 wrote: Thank you! We do understand that the area is a mixed salad of middle and low income families and is currently not up and coming. However, we hope that changes as the area becomes more popular as commuting from the outer greenbelt becomes worse. Not to mention the Blair LRT which may spring development as seen with the Frontier condos. Am I somewhat realistic with my predictions or is it just wishful thinking?
when I look at the Ottawa map and center it at the parliament hill, I can see clearly the East side is underdeveloped compared to the West side. That was my first impression when I moved in Ottawa several years ago.
I guess more jobs are located in the West side and that could explain the difference. I'm a big believer in the LRT, I hope it'll trigger better development in the East. How long it'll take, who knows. But eventually something will happen. Take Vanier/Overbrook for example, one of the worst and forgotten part of Ottawa for a long time. It's now under transformation, in some parts, even without the LRT. If I was looking for a house now to live in it, I'd look in the East side, it's cheaper and commute time to downtown is faster.
Last edited by cyberfreak123 on Dec 12th, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1002 posts
754 upvotes
YusufC72702 wrote: Thank you! We do understand that the area is a mixed salad of middle and low income families and is currently not up and coming. However, we hope that changes as the area becomes more popular as commuting from the outer greenbelt becomes worse. Not to mention the Blair LRT which may spring development as seen with the Frontier condos. Am I somewhat realistic with my predictions or is it just wishful thinking?
Agree with michelb, I think it's a great buy! A detached house for 450k with that kind of proximity to downtown, highways, and LRT is fantastic value and I think it will be a great investment if you hold onto it.

Having said that, although I would buy it as an investment in a heartbeat, I personally wouldn't live there...but that's because we are having kids in the near future so living in a good community-oriented neighbourhood with excellent schools is top priority for us right now. That's probably why Barrhaven & Kanata remain so popular with many buyers, despite the fact that the commute to downtown is horrendous and prices have gotten to a point where I don't think there is any value to be found in the suburbs anymore. So your house may not be as attractive to young families, but there are plenty of other demographics that your house will definitely appeal to so it's not really something to worry about--e.g. if we were older with kids out of the house, or childfree, we wouldn't have those considerations at all. Just might be something to consider if you do plan on kids in the future. (In that case, still a good buy though--it's just that after a few years living there, you might end up wanting to move to other areas down the road. At that point you can either sell this one or keep it as an investment property and I think you'll still come out ahead.)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5846 posts
1902 upvotes
Ottawa
Honestly, I don't have anything against the area (I was actually there today (after your original message) and noticing that it's a nice, quiet neighborhood but I don't expect it will become more popular (if anything, I think it will get worse before it gets better (I think more and more units will get transformed into multi-unit). As has been mentioned in another post, most young buyers are looking for areas that will grow where they can raise a family (new schools, new recreation, etc). This will not happen here, I think you'll just get more infill. I think it's in the same bag as Blackburn Hamlet (which IMHO is actually nicer) but neither attract the vast majority of buyers.

I think eventually it will likely get better but I think that's years away (30 to 50). I think before this happens, Vanier will gentrify more and as that happens areas like this one and Overbrook (modest prices and proximity to Downtown) will go up in population density and eventually they'll become more popular but I think it's very far away unfortunately. That said, I'm no expert and hope I wrong.

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 2 guests)

Cashforlife, splatqa, MSparrow, WGretzky, raaaaam, welcomelm