Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 4:31 pm
Jul 15, 2019
384 posts
266 upvotes
Can anyone explain to me how EQ homes can justify a 1400sqft condo in Rockland?

2 bedroom, 2 bath... absolutely ridiculous to
Me when 3 bedroom townhomes go for less.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1145 posts
728 upvotes
Mattamy Blackstone South. Shit show this morning.
Images
  • Mattamy 1.jpg
Aug 13, 2015
121 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Anyone has a recommendation for lawyer, especially a good one for pre-con? I'm putting a deposit today for a pre-con condo and will need one to review the contract during the cooling period.

Or is the risk for pre-con in Ottawa is generally low that I wouldn't need one?
Oct 2, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes
I am looking to buy a home in Ottawa with budget around 700-750. I am looking for a real estate agent who is familiar with the ottawa area. I do most of my research in terms of finding the properties and would need agent to help me with the offer. Please PM with your details. Thank you.
Jun 15, 2009
412 posts
121 upvotes
Nepean
Wow - did not think there will be a lot of buyers for this release, but looks like spring is going to be more crazier.
Zero Hope wrote: Mattamy Blackstone South. Shit show this morning.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3634 posts
3003 upvotes
freeman93 wrote: Can anyone explain to me how EQ homes can justify a 1400sqft condo in Rockland?

2 bedroom, 2 bath... absolutely ridiculous to
Me when 3 bedroom townhomes go for less.
They offer the same product in Kemptville also. And it apparently sells.
Aug 14, 2007
524 posts
281 upvotes
Ottawa
It will be great if you can provide more detail. I do not expect there are lots of demand for in that price range, maybe I am wrong.
Jul 15, 2019
384 posts
266 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: They offer the same product in Kemptville also. And it apparently sells.
I am at a lost for words... how though? Who is paying 100k more than a townhome in the same area for something far smaller, or even the same price as singles.

I also assume condo fees would be added with these properties as well.
Mar 21, 2012
1 posts
MARKHAM
Which location should command a higher price? barrhaven or Blackstone south?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3634 posts
3003 upvotes
freeman93 wrote: I am at a lost for words... how though? Who is paying 100k more than a townhome in the same area for something far smaller, or even the same price as singles.

Rockland has several buildings overlooking the water that have commanded great prices. Take this one, for example: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2118 ... d-rockland. Very plain, imo, and in dire need of a makeover. But at $380k, don't know how much money you can put into it for upgrades before you over-improve.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1034 posts
821 upvotes
freeman93 wrote: I am at a lost for words... how though? Who is paying 100k more than a townhome in the same area for something far smaller, or even the same price as singles.

My guess is older retirees who may have health/mobility issues, but want to live in a quieter community. Condos in small towns would appeal to them a lot more than townhouses. Many of these people have lots of savings and are easily able to afford these, and they are looking for a good lifestyle (don't care about value). We know an older couple who sold their townhouse in Kanata and moved to a condo in Carleton Place, for example, because they were getting to a point where they no longer wanted to deal with maintaining a house.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7107 posts
4272 upvotes
Victoria, BC
annoyedenoughtoregister wrote: Closer no doubt. But not orders of magnitude closer. Not “I will pay mansion prices of 2017 to hear my neighbours through the walls, have my house burn down with theirs if they’re careless with fire, and share a driveway with a stranger for a smaller, attached house” closer. lol. Not to me, anyway. For me, enjoying and loving your home is infinitely more important than being 10 minutes closer to work. When I had a Kanata Lakes townhouse I could literally hear my neighbour talking on the phone as I lay in bed beside my wife. It sounded like he was in bed with us. I even had the builder (richcraft) investigate if they forgot to install the firewall between the two units, but nope, that was to code. That’s not 600k living. lol
We owned an inside townhouse (neighbours on both sides) in South Kanata and heard nothing through the walls. The soundproofing was top notch. Don't assume just because housing is attached that you can't have good sound separation. I'd personally rather have an attached townhouse with good soundproofing than buy a single that is only a couple feet away from the neighbours like they are in the new builds. Stupid useless space that will make it impossible to do maintenance between the houses.
May 6, 2012
370 posts
218 upvotes
KANATA
Chickinvic wrote: We owned an inside townhouse (neighbours on both sides) in South Kanata and heard nothing through the walls. The soundproofing was top notch. Don't assume just because housing is attached that you can't have good sound separation. I'd personally rather have an attached townhouse with good soundproofing than buy a single that is only a couple feet away from the neighbours like they are in the new builds. Stupid useless space that will make it impossible to do maintenance between the houses.
Guess you are not neighboring with family with instruments and kids playing them
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7107 posts
4272 upvotes
Victoria, BC
welcomelm wrote: Guess you are not neighboring with family with instruments and kids playing them
I play electric guitar (loud through amp), and we had a home theatre which we would blast movies in. We asked the neighbours and they didn't have any noise complaints. We also had parties there. We WERE the noisy neighbours. And we have 2 Jack Russells who aren't exactly "quiet". There were 2 young guys on one side of us and an older couple on the other side. Good sound separation is very possible.
Jun 11, 2006
443 posts
424 upvotes
welcomelm wrote: Guess you are not neighboring with family with instruments and kids playing them
My neighbor and I both have 47' (width) lots and I can still faintly hear their piano while I'm inside and if it's not noisy in my own house. Oddly enough I don't hear anything else though. Doesn't bother me...we also have pianists in our house...so maybe they hear us too!
Nov 10, 2014
403 posts
563 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Very interested to see the Feb stats that should be coming out in the next couple of days as I feel like the market moved a lot in the last 4 weeks.
My guess is average sold price of ~530k for month the of Feb, setting another record on a month that is typically slower. Anyone else care to guess?
May 6, 2012
370 posts
218 upvotes
KANATA
stack1 wrote: My neighbor and I both have 47' (width) lots and I can still faintly hear their piano while I'm inside and if it's not noisy in my own house. Oddly enough I don't hear anything else though. Doesn't bother me...we also have pianists in our house...so maybe they hear us too!
I guess basement helps a lot with the noise propagation. But more than often, piano would be in the main floor, where people can just show off.
Aug 22, 2016
397 posts
210 upvotes
Which month stats are these? I am curious to check the Feb 2020 stats as the sales have been huge.
Jun 11, 2006
443 posts
424 upvotes
welcomelm wrote: I guess basement helps a lot with the noise propagation. But more than often, piano would be in the main floor, where people can just show off.
I wouldn't put my piano in the basement, I think the acoustics would be terrible as my ceilings are lower there. Not to mention the humidity would be worse there. I think if I lived in a townhouse, I'd be more mindful about the time that it was played, but I wouldn't put it in the basement just so they wouldn't hear it!

I'm probably more the offender than my neighbor though, we have 4 people playing in our house and they only have 1!

Thread Information

There are currently 13 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 7 guests)

Tadalafil, jjblast, MikeMOON2, JayJJJ, desi_mtl_dude, z613