Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 7:12 pm
Nov 1, 2020
240 posts
121 upvotes
AddictRC wrote: Ive been told it cost around 1500 per month and that would be the minimum cause I bought a tiny staged condo and thats what the seller told me.
wow. so they just help you stage it once, and if it takes you 3 months to sell the house, youll have to pay them 4500?!
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10223 posts
3304 upvotes
Ottawa
MikeMOON2 wrote: wow. so they just help you stage it once, and if it takes you 3 months to sell the house, youll have to pay them 4500?!
If it takes you 3 months to sell a (staged) property, regardless if it's a seller's or buyer's market, I think you have bigger issues to worry about than just the cost of staging.
[removed]
Sep 29, 2013
185 posts
98 upvotes
MikeMOON2 wrote: wow. so they just help you stage it once, and if it takes you 3 months to sell the house, youll have to pay them 4500?!
Wont take you that long to sell unless you are asking the for the moon! haha
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1034 posts
821 upvotes
Well, you are after all "renting" their furniture/decor items etc. so it doesn't make sense for it to only be a one-time cost and you get to keep the items for months. Also I would imagine the subsequent months would be cheaper than the initial one (where set-up is needed) though I don't actually know the details. Though luckily, in this market usually one month is more than enough.
Nov 1, 2020
240 posts
121 upvotes
canabiz wrote: If it takes you 3 months to sell a (staged) property, regardless if it's a seller's or buyer's market, I think you have bigger issues to worry about than just the cost of staging.
chill out man, you dont have to post if you are not willing to contribute. clearly i am trying to understand the concept by giving a clear example.

also, 3 months in Ottawa buyers market it's pretty normal.
Nov 1, 2020
240 posts
121 upvotes
jk9088 wrote: Well, you are after all "renting" their furniture/decor items etc. so it doesn't make sense for it to only be a one-time cost and you get to keep the items for months. Also I would imagine the subsequent months would be cheaper than the initial one (where set-up is needed) though I don't actually know the details. Though luckily, in this market usually one month is more than enough.
gotcha, i missed the rental part. makes more sense.
Nov 1, 2020
240 posts
121 upvotes
AddictRC wrote: Here is an example of an unstaged tenanted house losing out on atleast 100k.

Its a 4800sqft home btw:

https://www.redfin.ca/on/ottawa/1-Pende ... /149934800
i saw that one! feel what a waste even if I am not the owner. seems it was being rented out, not sure something to do with that.

anyway, it was a super deal for whoever bought it. i wish i had the capital to enter that layer of market...
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10223 posts
3304 upvotes
Ottawa
MikeMOON2 wrote: chill out man, you dont have to post if you are not willing to contribute. clearly i am trying to understand the concept by giving a clear example.

also, 3 months in Ottawa buyers market it's pretty normal.
Don't think what I wrote was offensive or condescending in anyway, just stating facts. If you can't take it, it's on you to chill, not me.
[removed]
Nov 1, 2020
240 posts
121 upvotes
canabiz wrote: Don't think what I wrote was offensive or condescending in anyway, just stating facts. If you can't take it, it's on you to chill, not me.
i felt it was condescending. but if that's not your intention, i take it back and pass it.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10223 posts
3304 upvotes
Ottawa
MikeMOON2 wrote: i felt it was condescending. but if that's not your intention, i take it back and pass it.
All good. Always a challenge to express proper emotions through forum posts...all I was trying to say is if it takes somebody 3+ months to sell a property, there are other things (pricing, locations, market conditions including economic situations and interest rates) to consider and cost of staging would not rank very high on my list. That's all.
[removed]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1034 posts
821 upvotes
AddictRC wrote: Here is an example of an unstaged tenanted house losing out on atleast 100k.

Its a 4800sqft home btw:

https://www.redfin.ca/on/ottawa/1-Pende ... /149934800
Good deal for such a massive house although it does look quite dated. $37k in fencing though?? Wow.

Also I know it is tenanted but really, you are selling a $1 million+ house and you can't be bothered to move a stack of empty diaper boxes (and a few full ones) out of the way for the picture? *facepalm*

I'm also kind of curious how much this kind of house rents for. Must be terrible cashflow...
Sep 29, 2013
185 posts
98 upvotes
jk9088 wrote: Good deal for such a massive house although it does look quite dated. $37k in fencing though?? Wow.

Also I know it is tenanted but really, you are selling a $1 million+ house and you can't be bothered to move a stack of empty diaper boxes (and a few full ones) out of the way for the picture? *facepalm*

I'm also kind of curious how much this kind of house rents for. Must be terrible cashflow...
When they bought, it was probably 600k 15 yrs ago. It was never occupied, always rented. Owners probably didnt care that much for money so who cares if tenant hangs his dirty ass pants on tge kitchen table for the realtor pics. lol
May 6, 2012
370 posts
218 upvotes
KANATA
WGretzky wrote: And the commute is not that bad - now that highway 7 is 2 lanes each direction, makes it a more bearable drive. I live in stittsville, and Carleton place is about 20 mins drive.
Now I notice that CP agents start using words like "15 minutes to Kanata" and I don't know how they came up with that commute time.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14794 posts
4262 upvotes
jk9088 wrote: Good deal for such a massive house although it does look quite dated. $37k in fencing though?? Wow.

Seeing that bench in front of the stairs, maybe the tenant didn't want the photographer heading upstairs...
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Feb 28, 2009
561 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
welcomelm wrote: Now I notice that CP agents start using words like "15 minutes to Kanata" and I don't know how they came up with that commute time.
I live right at hazeldean/stitts Main Street so right near the highway 7 on ramp and it’s a good 20 mins to the CP Walmart

15 mins from kanata is def pushing it!
Aug 22, 2016
397 posts
210 upvotes

Wow that is a massive house for 1.2 M. Lucky buyer. With the right updates the house will look beautiful and can be great place to entertain.
Aug 22, 2016
397 posts
210 upvotes
R8247 wrote: https://www.redfin.ca/on/ottawa/631-Gab ... ty-history

631 Gabriola ain't moving either at $930. Been on the market for months. New build as well like 636.

3 houses down and across the street. More sheltered from Terry Fox and the noise pollution.

IMO buyers ain't willing to pay this kind of premium yet for Richardson Ridge. aka almost Kanata Lakes without the golf greens lol
Does not have those modern shiny finishes to make it look like a million dollar house. Few more detached homes in the 700K range came this week in Kanata. They might pull away some of the buyers from this one. Timing the listing of the house is also so much important.
Nov 6, 2007
731 posts
245 upvotes
My personal belief on bang for the buck to squeeze more out of resale:

1. Staging. Model homes are staged to sell an image and a life style. Empty rooms look smaller and unappealing.

2. Paint and laminate. Relatively cheap and cosmetic upgrade (I'm not categorizing this as reno can be easily DIY) can make the unit look fresh and new again.

*Note however this is not always possible for everyone. Tenants / Babies Kids / Time.
Last edited by R8247 on Nov 25th, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 6, 2007
731 posts
245 upvotes
arbytor wrote:
Does not have those modern shiny finishes to make it look like a million dollar house. Few more detached homes in the 700K range came this week in Kanata. They might pull away some of the buyers from this one. Timing the listing of the house is also so much important.
Massive Massive unit just came on market in Kanata South (Monahan landing not far from Black Stone F Crossing ) today.

4,200 including finished basement, so let's call it 3,200 for the upper floors. 5 beds and 3 baths on second floor.

Will likely go well above 800.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2262 ... arelisting

Thread Information

There are currently 12 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 5 guests)

RJones89, blizatk, canabiz, fkungery, hXcellent, welcomelm, AddictRC