Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 11:33 pm
May 23, 2017
992 posts
745 upvotes
z613 wrote: The 430k Terrace home has arrived.

https://www.redfin.ca/on/ottawa/110-Eld ... ntent=link
At least that one only has a monthly fee of $156...This condo in Barrhaven with $370/month condo fee sold in Nov for $426k!!! https://www.redfin.ca/on/ottawa/669-Sue ... /173633489 (I guess the appeal of this one over the terrace home is that it's totally above ground vs. terrace home with a lower level, and no stairs so it appeals to older folks with mobility issues, but still. Crazy.)

I actually think that %-wise, these cheaper style homes actually appreciated more than the more expensive ones! I regret not picking up some suburban condos a few years back (instead of focusing on townhouses)...
May 23, 2017
992 posts
745 upvotes
...btw, anyone know how many form submissions Uniform got this time for RR? (I am curious if the price increases made any dent at all in the demand, haha.)
Sep 29, 2013
172 posts
94 upvotes
jk9088 wrote: At least that one only has a monthly fee of $156...This condo in Barrhaven with $370/month condo fee sold in Nov for $426k!!! https://www.redfin.ca/on/ottawa/669-Sue ... /173633489 (I guess the appeal of this one over the terrace home is that it's totally above ground vs. terrace home with a lower level, and no stairs so it appeals to older folks with mobility issues, but still. Crazy.)

I actually think that %-wise, these cheaper style homes actually appreciated more than the more expensive ones! I regret not picking up some suburban condos a few years back (instead of focusing on townhouses)...
I can see the 430k potentially lapsing. The one in Barrhaven is essentially attached to marketplace behind the Cineplex in the middle of the new downtown Barrhaven. It's also a totally different type of condo. The 430k one could be had for 335K-360K in Barrhaven in the fall. They were 199K brand new. I guess Kanata is outpacing Barrhaven.
Nov 1, 2020
221 posts
110 upvotes
AddictRC wrote: I can see the 430k potentially lapsing. The one in Barrhaven is essentially attached to marketplace behind the Cineplex in the middle of the new downtown Barrhaven. It's also a totally different type of condo. The 430k one could be had for 335K-360K in Barrhaven in the fall. They were 199K brand new. I guess Kanata is outpacing Barrhaven.
sorry not directly related to your point, but i am always wondering am I the only wierdo here prefers homes not next/close to the malls/commercials? I dont mind just openning my car door and driving 5mins for my grocery or food, but i definitely hate the larger probability of more random people walking/driving around my area. Again, seems I am only one of few people values this. Am I strange?
May 23, 2017
992 posts
745 upvotes
MikeMOON2 wrote: sorry not directly related to your point, but i am always wondering am I the only wierdo here prefers homes not next/close to the malls/commercials? I dont mind just openning my car door and driving 5mins for my grocery or food, but i definitely hate the larger probability of more random people walking/driving around my area. Again, seems I am only one of few people values this. Am I strange?
No, I get what you're saying...I'm in between, I like to be close to amenities (like 15-20 min walking distance close) but not TOO close. Same with large streets, I want to be near it so I have easy access to main roads, but still be nestled away a bit on a quiet inner street.

For example, in Barrhaven I would not want to live in any of the communities south of the Jock River (including Halfmoon Bay, Stonebridge etc) because they are far from grocery stores and other amenities, as well as less convenient to get out (though I know these communities are wildly popular). However, I also definitely don't want to live in any house facing or backing onto major roads like Strandherd (or on any street that opens directly onto major roads, for that matter). Basically if I can see the shopping plaza or main roads from my house, or hear any noise from it, that's too close for my comfort.

Kanata is better because there is actually lots of amenities/shopping in both far South Kanata/new Stittsville and far North Kanata as well (not just in the central area). I do still much prefer the more central areas closer to Hwy 417 for ease of getting around though. So in terms of location I actually like the older areas of Kanata Lakes best (within close walking distance of Centrum but still tucked away on quiet streets), it's just too bad the houses there are quite old. The new RR Phase 4 I actually find much too far away from amenities for my liking.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 7 guests)